Author Topic: Party at our house last night...  (Read 11682 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Party at our house last night...
« on: December 10, 2006, 07:18:48 PM »
And someone brought me the pretzels with the melted Rolo in the center. Delicious!

We have a ton of food left over. We received several bottles of wine as gifts, as well as many different confections from Harry & David.
I have leftover ham on the stove right now making broth for soup.

The party was for the marketing department at my husband's company, and we all had a terrific time.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: Party at our house last night...
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 11:10:46 AM »
You can send any leftover Harry and David my way, I'll take unused wine as well.
Glad everything went so well! There's nothing better than a good party!
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

fklwmn

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 12:17:31 PM »
You can send any leftover Harry and David my way, I'll take unused wine as well.
Glad everything went so well! There's nothing better than a good party!

OT, but:

I only recently discovered Harry and David, and in the last month I have spent over $75 there!!! I love them (and their samples!). For the extended family this year I bought everyone a specialty pancake mix and put it in a pretty mixing bowl from the dollar tree, topped it with a pancake spatula, and tied it all up pretty with ribbon and Christmas tissue paper. Now I want to join all the relatives for breakfast when they decide to make the pancakes. I have LOVED every one I have tried so far.

I still want to know why their pears are $4 each... but not enough to pay $4 to try one!

thebadchemist

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 03:03:07 PM »
I still want to know why their pears are $4 each... but not enough to pay $4 to try one!

Those pears are INSANE. The store I went to was giving slices out as samples. They literally (and I'm using "literally" correctly) melt in your mouth and the flavor is divine. It's pretty much an experience worth having once... however, I do find it hard to shell out $30 for a box of them. Especially when my mother, the queen of good deals, buys crates of delicious pears from the local Chinese supermarket for less than $10. They're not the same variety, of course, but they're still fabulous and make it hard to justify buying any pear at $4 apiece.  ;)

If you haven't tried H&D's Chocolate Peanut Butter Maltballs, please do! They're incredible! Also, the Pepper Onion Relish is a great dip when mixed with a cream cheese.

I also just checked the H&D website... apparently the pears have gone down in price. They used to be $35 a box and now they're $27.95 and two boxes are $41.92. They might be worth a shot.

fklwmn

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »

Those pears are INSANE. The store I went to was giving slices out as samples. They literally (and I'm using "literally" correctly) melt in your mouth and the flavor is divine. It's pretty much an experience worth having once... however, I do find it hard to shell out $30 for a box of them. Especially when my mother, the queen of good deals, buys crates of delicious pears from the local Chinese supermarket for less than $10. They're not the same variety, of course, but they're still fabulous and make it hard to justify buying any pear at $4 apiece.  ;)

If you haven't tried H&D's Chocolate Peanut Butter Maltballs, please do! They're incredible! Also, the Pepper Onion Relish is a great dip when mixed with a cream cheese.

I also just checked the H&D website... apparently the pears have gone down in price. They used to be $35 a box and now they're $27.95 and two boxes are $41.92. They might be worth a shot.

I think The Marine bought that dip when we went to H&D last weekend! or, more precisely, I bought it for him, lol. we tasted it in a sample and it was SO GOOD! I love theri dark chocolate truffles.... yummmm!!! And I keep hoping I'll be there when they are handing out pear samples so I can try them. I wonder if they'd cut one up for samples if we asked? it looked to me like they were just taking packages off of shelves to open for samples the last time I was there.

I am the pickiest eater of all time, and thus far I have fung NOTHING @ H&D that I did not LOVE!

thebadchemist

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:28:30 PM »
I wonder if they'd cut one up for samples if we asked? it looked to me like they were just taking packages off of shelves to open for samples the last time I was there.

I am the pickiest eater of all time, and thus far I have fung NOTHING @ H&D that I did not LOVE!

BF said their dry snack mixes were ok. They weren't bad, but at $6 a bag, Chex Mix was just as good.  ;) I'm sure it doesn't hurt to ask if they'll have pear samples. At the prices they're charging, the customer better like them if they're going to buy them! Also, if you haven't yet, try the Moose Munch candy bars. They're great with milk or dark chocolate. The calories are ungodly, but I keep it as a special treat.

We bought the Pepper Onion Relish after trying a sample, too! They mixed in cream cheese for the sample, and I noticed the jar didn't look like it had any dairy-esque product in it. There was a recipe posted right behind the serving tray (which was empty), and I was squinting at the recipe to see if it gave me any clues as to what was mixed into the relish.

This fabulously witty elderly woman taps me on the arm and whispers, "Honey, you can stare at the platter all you want... it's not going to magically refill itself."

I started laughing and explained what I was looking for. She grinned and said, "Cream cheese. That's what they used. It makes everything right."

fklwmn

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 03:34:52 PM »
That's too cute! I HATE cream Cheese. in ANYTHING. Except that dip ;)

kckgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 05:56:46 PM »
And someone brought me the pretzels with the melted Rolo in the center. Delicious!
I made those pretzel snacks one night last week. The intent was to have some for home and to take a plate of them in to the office the next morning. When I woke up the next morning, there were three left on the tray. They were a popular treat at my house that night.
Maryland

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 08:55:30 PM »
Oooooh!  Can somebody please repost the instructions for those pretzels?  They sound so amazing!

Thanks in advance!

- saphie

gjcva1

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 09:33:32 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS!, H&D Bing Cherry chocolates.  yummy!  we have those for the "kids" stockings (kids are 27 and 25, plus their betrothed's, 27 and 24) and we have outgrown the stockings!  this year we're using 9 x 12 x 9 wire baskets instead of the stockings. 

hubster went nuts first and outbought the stockings...which meant that after i teased him, i could go for the H&D (well, rasberry chocolates for FSIL).  ;)

kckgirl

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 04:52:46 AM »
Oooooh!  Can somebody please repost the instructions for those pretzels?  They sound so amazing!

Thanks in advance!

- saphie
I posted it in the Cookbook Project under Candy. They're yummy and so, so easy.
Maryland

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 08:03:02 AM »
[quote author=Patrick Dempsey is hot, hot, HOT! (kckgirl) I made those pretzel snacks one night last week. The intent was to have some for home and to take a plate of them in to the office the next morning. When I woke up the next morning, there were three left on the tray. They were a popular treat at my house that night.
[/quote]

My family is breathing hot and heavy down my neck like candy vultures wanting me to make these.  Geez, guys, finish the Spritz cookies first!

Is there a name for those pretzel thingys?

kckgirl

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 05:38:12 PM »
Is there a name for those pretzel thingys?

I looked for them online and found Rolo Pretzel Pecan Treat, Rolo Pecan Caramel Treats, Rolo Pecan Candies, and Pretzel Rolo treats.

With M&Ms and Hershey's kisses, I mostly saw Pretzel Candy Treats.
Maryland

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006, 06:17:17 PM »

We should come up with a completely original name.  Something like "Instant Butt Builders"  or ....

kckgirl

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 06:26:03 PM »

We should come up with a completely original name.  Something like "Instant Butt Builders"  or ....

Well, that's what they are!
Maryland