Author Topic: So are you Saved?  (Read 23445 times)

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
Re: So are you Saved?
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2008, 11:54:28 AM »
I don't mean to be argumentative, but I would just like to point out something:
"Christian" is almost always taken to mean someone who follows Jesus Christ.  While not all Christians use the term "born again" or "saved", I don't think any of them should have a problem with it either, since the phrase "born again" is straight from Jesus' mouth.  Jesus is also widely referred to as "Savior", meaning "one who saves", with it being commonly understood that Christians ("saved" people) are ones who have accepted Christ's salvation from eternal damnation. 

While I'm not a big fan of either of those terms, I have to admit that both are theologically in line with Christian doctrine.  Basically, it's part of the lingo and has been for quite some time.

It becomes a problem when the terms that are supposed to reflect basic Christianity are used to single out one denomination as being better than the others.  That is what the thread is all about.  Not that the OP is not Christian, but that he felt that his choice of denomination was being questioned, weighed, and found lacking.  To me, implying that anyone else's faith isn't good enough is rude.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2008, 02:34:46 PM »
While I agree that the terms "born again" and "saved" do reflect actual statements in the Bible, I still think the pastor/minister was rude.

The first thing he wanted to know was if the OP was Christian.  The OP answered that yes, he was, and that his pastor had already been by to visit.  This shows that not only is the OP Christian, he is also very likely having his spiritual needs met.

So if the terms "born again" and "saved" are associated with all Christians, the pastor/minister received the answer as soon as the OP said "I am Christian."  That he asked about those two things specifically very strongly implies that he doesn't think they are associated with all Christians - only with some.  Since he also strongly implied that the religions associated with these terms are better than those that are not...he was rude.

Blurgle

« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2008, 12:27:08 AM »
While I agree that the terms "born again" and "saved" do reflect actual statements in the Bible, I still think the pastor/minister was rude.

The first thing he wanted to know was if the OP was Christian.  The OP answered that yes, he was, and that his pastor had already been by to visit.  This shows that not only is the OP Christian, he is also very likely having his spiritual needs met.

So if the terms "born again" and "saved" are associated with all Christians, the pastor/minister received the answer as soon as the OP said "I am Christian."  That he asked about those two things specifically very strongly implies that he doesn't think they are associated with all Christians - only with some.  Since he also strongly implied that the religions associated with these terms are better than those that are not...he was rude.

This. It implies not only that some Christians are "better" than others but also that HE, the minister, is the sole arbiter of the world as to who makes the cut. That's rude.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2008, 05:57:19 PM »
Or "I'm blessed," when "I've been lucky," is far more appropriate. 

Isn't it their discretion whether they've been lucky or truly blessed, not yours?

I would thikn so.

Shipoopi

« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2008, 12:08:32 PM »
I recently attended a sermon/lecture by a local (Christian) clergyman from the religion in which I was raised.  He pointed out that asking strangers things like, "Do you accept Christ as your personal savior?!" indicated that the person asking had a very shallow and superficial understanding of their faith.  Seems to me like the clergyman has a not very shallow or superficial understanding of human nature.  If you're distilling your beliefs into little cliches and catch phrases, how much do you really understand about it?

Very, very true. I'd like to meet this clergyman. :)

Keres

« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2008, 04:54:17 PM »
Such being the case, on a theological matter, you can't just take "I'm a Christian" as a complete answer. 

Yes.  You can.

It's hard to balance standard etiquette with afterlife-and-death matters.

No, it isn't.  Asking someone about their religion is inherently rude unless they have indicated the question is acceptable.  Pressing on after they have indicated an unwillingness to discuss the situation with you is both rude and disrespectful.

Think about what you mean when you say it, and you'll understand why you are being RUDE in saying it.

I say it for the same reason I hang up on telemarketers and close the door in the face of solicitors who do not accept my initial indication that the subject is unwelcome.  Hanging up on someone or shutting the door on them are ordinarily rude actions.  They are however, very much mediated by the other person's initial rudeness.

Shipoopi

« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2008, 03:28:17 PM »
If a person is open to dicussing religion and theology, that's one thing. But randomly unsolicited attempts to convert a person after they express no desire to talk about it is rude, and the rules of a religious debate don't apply.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »
I think it was inappropriate to ask if OP was saved. 

Whether the volunteer *intended* for it to be the loaded question it can be or not, he should at the very least be AWARE that it can be perceived as a very loaded question and avoid it - as his role in that moment is to provide comfort in a manner specific to that particular family's and patient's needs.  If he accidentally gets their hackles up by throwing out Perceived Loaded Question, with intent to proselytize (sp?) or not, he will not be able to properly fulfill his duty at that moment.  That just seems like basic job smarts to me. 

Since Volunteer isn't here for us to ask what his intentions were, we will most likely never know.  Perhaps we can just agree that OP was put out by it for his own personal reasons and call it a day?

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~