News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• June 26, 2016, 03:36:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Removing the OP of a thread  (Read 4818 times)

FauxFoodist

Re: Removing the OP of a thread
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 02:42:05 PM »
I located a post from one mod chastising a poster who was reported for deleting the initial post (deleted because the poster claimed being misunderstood after writing somewhat of a ranting post and not getting validation sought as most of us felt the poster was in the wrong).  Nowhere in the post did the mod say it's against the rules, just that it is rather poor form to delete the initial post.  This isn't the same poster of whom you speak because I checked that poster's threads, and the poster has only deleted the initial post from one thread.

It would be nice if deleting the initial post were against the rules but, apparently, it's not.

kudeebee

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 03:21:37 PM »
I have suggested this before and am also on anther forum where the "rule" is the first person who responds quotes the OP's original post.  Then it is always in the thread for reference.

It isn't that hard to do. That way there is no misunderstandings as to what the OP originally posted or asked about.  Just needs to become a habit for us to develop.

Lynn2000

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »
Interesting. So my questions would be:

1) Is deleting/severely altering your initial post against the rules?
2) If not, does it actually need to be, to merit action against someone by the mods?
3) Whether it is or isn't against the rules, should the rest of us develop the habit of quoting the OP's initial post in full, to lock in the original text?

My perception is that the mods here have a pretty wide latitude when it comes to chiding/suspending/banning someone. We're not in a situation where people are going to parse the rules and say, "No, you can't suspend me for that, there's a technicality that means I wasn't doing anything wrong!" and have that be an effective argument.

If someone blanks their first post as part of a pattern of protesting the advice they were given, so it seems like they're flouncing off, that's just part of their larger attitude problem, which rightfully should be addressed. I don't see a lot of people blanking initial posts because they truly think that's the right thing to do; and when it occasionally happens (only once that I recall), a clarification sets them straight that this isn't how we do it. If someone starts to argue about it in a disrespectful way, that in itself becomes the problem, because people here need to handle disagreements politely.

All that to say that, even if it technically isn't in the rules, many of us feel the problems with blanking your initial post are obvious, and usually are addressed by a mod when they're alerted to it happening. Just because the mods don't address something publicly, doesn't mean they haven't addressed it privately with the poster, or otherwise made an active decision about it. In other words, I don't see the lack of public censure on recent threads as being the mods condoning this behavior, I guess.

As for point 3--I don't see anything wrong with individual posters deciding they're going to do this, provided they use good judgment. If the initial post has already been quoted in full earlier in the thread, no need to do it again, especially if it's extremely long. It's mildly annoying to scroll through long quotes before getting to the new content (IMO), and I have a computer with a larger screen, so I can only imagine how much more difficult it is for posters using a cell phone or something else small. I don't feel like it needs to become a rule itself, though, like in the sense that if I'm poster #2 and I forget to quote the OP, poster #3 is justified in chiding me for that. Poster #3 can just quote the OP themselves, and it's done.
~Lynn2000

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »
If a poster has a safety or security concern (=the reason OP wants a post removed), it's best to contact a mod. If the poster is flouncing,  then s/he'll be gagged notsomuch for deleting a post but for the flounce.

AdamsOffOx

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »
What happened here?

This was formerly "Pet Etiquette".

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=53588.0

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 02:18:11 PM »
The OP deleted all of his/her posts, the one you mentioned was on the last day he/she ever logged in, and changed the user name to "Gone" and hasn't been back since Oct 2014. My assumption is that this person is, well, gone, from the forum. So long, Gone.

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Paper Roses

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:34 PM »
I have suggested this before and am also on anther forum where the "rule" is the first person who responds quotes the OP's original post.  Then it is always in the thread for reference.

It isn't that hard to do. That way there is no misunderstandings as to what the OP originally posted or asked about.  Just needs to become a habit for us to develop.

So that's why people do that!  I always thought it was kind of annoying, but now I can see that it makes perfect sense. 

Also, once a post is quoted, the original name of the poster stays with the quote - so you can tell who it was even if someone changes their name. 

I like it!  Thanks for the explanation. 
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 10:45:46 AM »
Was annoyed the other day when I saw that, yet again, a repeat offender (3rd time) deleted her initial post (why she posted at all is beyond me if she's just going to delete).  I thought, "Gee, I really wish this were against the rules so that the poster would just get banned."  Just saw a thread by another poster where the poster even announced s/he was going back to delete the initial post, much to the puzzlement and warning against by other posters (the OP did it anyway!).  Was happy to read the mods say it's against the rules and doing it one more time will result in being banned (so I'm thinking the repeat offender I mentioned did get banned -- I know the thread ended up getting deleted as there was only one reply before she deleted her post).  What a relief!  This also reminds me I need to start quoting initial posts if I find no one else has done so.

TootsNYC

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 04:40:22 PM »
I ran across some other forum where it's a part of their policy that they will copy the original post and paste it into a comment very early on, so it's not possible to completely delete it. I guess the mods or some supermembers do this.

I thought it was interesting!

kudeebee

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
I ran across some other forum where it's a part of their policy that they will copy the original post and paste it into a comment very early on, so it's not possible to completely delete it. I guess the mods or some supermembers do this.

I thought it was interesting!

It is "the rule" on another forum I am on.  First person to respond is to quote the original post.

"The rule" started among members when some posters were doing the same thing that has happened here--deleted their original post or even gone in and changed the original post.  It was not always done at first--quoting the post--but now it is just a habit that posters do.