News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 07, 2016, 02:34:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Are you using an Ad Blocker...

...to view the forum from your mobile device?
2 (3.1%)
...to view the forum from your desktop computer?
13 (20.3%)
...to view the forum from a mobile device and desktop computer?
2 (3.1%)
...to view the blog from a mobile device?
0 (0%)
...to view the blog from your desk top computer?
2 (3.1%)
...to view the blog from mobile device and desk top computer?
0 (0%)
...to view the forum and blog from your mobile device?
1 (1.6%)
...to view the forum and blog from your desk top computer?
9 (14.1%)
...to view the forum and blog from your mobile device and desktop computer?
2 (3.1%)
I don't use any ad blockers.
33 (51.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Update: Are you using an Ad Blocker?  (Read 1019 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Update: Are you using an Ad Blocker?
« on: November 14, 2016, 06:57:20 AM »
Ok....needed to redo this poll to expand the answer options.   I deleted all votes and comments so please start again.

This poll is to give me better feedback and data regarding how viewers are using Ad Blocking software while viewing the forum and blog. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 11:12:46 AM by Ehelldame »

Sophie Jenkins

Re: Update: Are you using an Ad Blocker?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »
My virus software has frequently warned me of viruses on the forum and blog ads, so I enabled ad blocker a while back to save my computer.

sidi-ji

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 11:27:43 AM »
My computer has high security settings to guard against viruses, but nothing specifically targeting ads.

shortstuff

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 11:52:19 AM »
I have Ad Blocker on my home computer, and don't change settings for individual websites. 

At work, I use nothing except incognito mode.  The forum shows up fine, but the main blog usually has a video or flash ad (usually on the right side), which crashes my Chrome browser.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
You need to add another option.   I use Ad Blocker, but I have this site exempted from it. So I can't say I don't use Ad Blocker, because I do on other sites. 

I figure that since I don't pay and I visit frequently, I am morally required to 'pay' in that way.  I've never had it crash. 

magicdomino

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
The home computer has an ad-blocker because of potential viruses and a particularly nasty pop-up that I'm sure would have lead to something even nastier.  Office computer is ITD's problem.  I do try to click on ads at work.  For instance, if I want to go to Amazon, I'll first check to see if anyone has a banner ad.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »
I don't use any ad blockers, but my computer does sometimes let me know it's blocked suspicious scripts on Flamingvixen, and I have Safari set so it won't run Flash without me enabling it each time (so, most ads are blocked anyway).
"Set aphasia to stun!"

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 04:22:14 PM »
I have an ad blocker that is set to allow this site through.  Sometimes a new type of ad will crash chrome and I'll have to turn it on for a bit until I can get the settings right.
Maryland

Coralline

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 12:11:51 AM »
I also use the ad blocker to hide all the animated avatars and banners across the site. I find them so distracting and annoying.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 02:08:42 AM »
No, I don't use an ad blocker anywhere. I ignore the ads mostly.

Can't say I've noticed many animated avatars on this site, although I do remember Bloo's because it's very cute and expresses my feelings about coffee. Can't recall anyone with their own animated banner (only banners I see are ads).

I mostly read the site on my iPad (so safari is my usual browser). Sometimes I use my laptop PC (flamingvixen browser). Either way, I don't get bothered by ads, avatars or banners.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 12:07:47 PM »
Not meaning to be annoying, but like many households we no longer own a "desktop computer." We have a bunch of laptops and an iPad. I don't think of a laptop as either a "desktop computer" or a "mobile device" so not answering the survey.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
Not meaning to be annoying, but like many households we no longer own a "desktop computer." We have a bunch of laptops and an iPad. I don't think of a laptop as either a "desktop computer" or a "mobile device" so not answering the survey.

For the intents of the survey I'm pretty sure that laptop and desktop can be seen as interchangeable, as people are likely to protect them much the same way with ad blockers, virus protection etc. whereas mobile devices are totally different in that regard.

I don't have a literal desktop either, but assumed EDame meant "PC/Mac" vs. "tablet/mobile phone" and answered the survey accordingly.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

MrTango

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »
My ad blocker is set up to allow some non-intrusive advertising, however because I have seen some inappropriate (i.e. NSFW) content come through Google's advertisements, I have googleadservices.com specifically blocked.

I think I see ads on EHell about 50% of the time.

The non-intrusive advertising allowed by my blocker are static images under a certain size.  Anything with Flash, animated GIF, sounds, video, or any other format that allows moving images is blocked.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:31:26 PM by MrTango »