News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 30, 2015, 04:53:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Question about removing/editing one's own posts  (Read 768 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Question about removing/editing one's own posts
« on: March 06, 2015, 12:39:23 AM »
Sorry if this has come up before and I missed it.
I did check the Admin section but couldn't find an answer.

What is the policy on removing one's own posts?

A couple of times recently I have posted and then reconsidered my post.
Nothing addressed to an individual, but more along the lines of "I don't think this fits in this topic" or "Not sure people would find this interesting/relevant."

What is appropriate in such cases?
Do I remove it?
Do I ask a moderator to remove it?
Do I just leave a note in the post that says" Sorry, rethought my post?"

I removed them, but I want to double check that this was okay.
I thought there was a spelled out rule but I can't seem to find it.
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

MariaE

• Super Hero!
  • So many books, so little time
Re: Question about removing/editing one's own posts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 02:35:04 AM »
The rule as far as I know it:
If somebody has replied to your post, don't remove it.
Otherwise, you're probably okay - the main reason mods don't want people to remove posts is to avoid the "swiss cheese" effect on threads - which isn't a problem if nobody has replied to yours (and especially if you've only just posted it, so few people have even seen it).
Never remove the OP of a thread.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »
If you started the thread - don't remove the original background - editing it too much can also be confusing...adding more information in a later post allows people to figure things out or adding it with a ++(information added)++ or similar type of border between it and the original post to indicate that you are adjusting the amount of background information can work, too.

Otherwise they read a long post with a lot of information and then read a bunch of posts complaining of a lack of information and it is confusing...until they get to a later post by the OP saying that they are going back to add additional information to the original post. 

I have to admit having more information added in several different posts on several different pages can get confusing, too, if someone can't sit down and read the whole thread at one sitting...going back to the beginning and reading things again helps - but it takes more time and sometimes there just isn't time to do that!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:59:36 AM »
There's no official policy I can think of.  Avoid the swisscheesing mentioned above for logic ' s sake. I don't think members can remove the OP of a thread.

Some people add a note to edited posts: ETA for "edited to add" & then whatever the edit was.