News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 03, 2015, 02:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Zombie" Threads: Any Exceptions?  (Read 712 times)

Lillie82

"Zombie" Threads: Any Exceptions?
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:33:07 PM »
Are there any kinds of threads that are exceptions to the rule about not resurrecting a really old thread?

Such as "Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly" (since those are general advice, rather than relating to a specific story or incident)?

Or how about something like Cute Pet Stories?

MariaE

• Super Hero!
  • So many books, so little time
Re: "Zombie" Threads: Any Exceptions?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:18 AM »
As far as I know the general rule of thumb is:

- If the OP is a question to be answered, leave it alone.
- If the OP is a topic for discussion, leave it alone.
- If the thread is for sharing of stories (like the "Special Snowflakes" thread) you're probably fine, if you post with a new story rather than commenting on an existing one.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 03:07:57 AM »
   I do think updates are an exception. Sometimes threads are about weddings happening 2 years out, updates on those can be fun. 

A poster can have  follow up question , I don't think its wrong to resurrect a thread to ask a follow up but there is the option of starting  new thread with a link to the older one.

Discussions about books and movies can resurrect when the next season comes out/next in the series or threads about specific people may become relevant as news updates.

Redsoil

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 03:50:47 AM »
I find, at times, an old story with new plot twists (AKA updates) can be useful.  Often, forum members become interested in issues that hopefully will come to a good conclusion, but it takes time for a resolution to be reached.  Always nice to know someone has a good update to concerns posed initially.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:54:39 AM »
If there's a reason for resurrecting the thread, go for it. Sometimes an OP has had an update or someone else asks for a follow up.  Some long threads go into hibernation for a few weeks or months & then wake up, as it were.

Common sense is the rule.