Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 115684 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of
« Reply #180 on: September 01, 2009, 08:36:47 PM »
Which is why the Jane Goodall Observation of Primates techniques on handling things have become a catch phrase here as well.............

Please don't leave me hanging, VorFemme.  What is the catch phrase?

And a big mahalo for understanding that I wasn't trying to illustrate why these are "hot topics," but why I wish that an etiquette board could discuss anything civilly.  What can I say?  I have a very active fantasy life:  It involves considerate, intellegent, tolerant people who can discuss the proper etiquette for any and every situation, nothing kinky >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »
The catch phrase is any variation of "Jane Goodall" with instructions to observe the primates' behavior without interacting with them (whether the primate is a relative, neighbor, or someone behaving oddly in the line at the cash register). 

Of course, those observing primate behavior are free to publish their observations here on the Etiquette Hell forum or on the main site.  Because we really want to understand these oddly behaving primates.............

Even if we still don't understand Dresser Queen, K'nnihave, Stonecold, or some of the other more famous infamous of those whose exploits unusual behaviors are recorded here............the hellions continue to study the records and hypothesize as to what is going on inside the brains of those we have observed ourselves or read here.

Many chocolate bunnies have been sacrificed so that we could read their entrails (or at least read the label on the Kahlua bottle) in our attempts at understanding.

There are those who insist that if you drink a Bunny FooFoo or six, it might be easier to understand some of them - but you'd never be able to esplain* it to those of us who are still sober.  (Desi Arnez in I Love Lucy reference  - deliberate, not a typo).  Snarky and Evil go so far as to hold up score cards for the better puns in people's entries here.  But they LIKE puns.............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
I just ran a search on knitting - 24 pages?????

Sheesh

Snarky and Evil want to run another search for knitting bags as a way to keep various items handy (chocolate, a book, scissors, a stunner or blaster...........) in a wide range of locales.  But that is because they tend to carry a work bag quite often - knitting, cross stitch, or a bag of books when going back & forth to the library........
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:23:52 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »
Ok, the list is fairly up-to-date.

Thanks for taking this on, Dotty.
Texas

mddg4

« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2009, 10:13:52 PM »
I got lost!!

Did anyone mention cellphones. I avoid those threads as they make ME want to cry and I'm not a mod!

Thanks Dotty!!

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »
I got lost!!

Did anyone mention cellphones. I avoid those threads as they make ME want to cry and I'm not a mod!

Thanks Dotty!!

They've been mentioned.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2009, 01:00:30 PM »
The topic of whether itís okay to consume food in grocery stores while shopping and then pay for it when at the check out counter. This has been a heated topic before on here in the past, not just recently.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #187 on: September 15, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
How about TV football at holiday celebrations and weddings?

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2009, 01:24:21 PM »
Seriously?? Is that a recent hot topic?

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »
Seriously?? Is that a recent hot topic?

Check the Holidays folder.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:11 PM »
*snort*

My sister had a football game playing on TV during her second wedding. She turned down the volume for the ceremony. After the pronouncement, she turned the volume up again. Because her FIL just had to see that game ...
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

gollymolly2

« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »
There is such a marked difference between hot topics and overly heated topics that i think is being ignored here. It's not a bad thing to have a topic go on for 10+ pages and spark multiple spin offs. If anything, that means that somebody has brought up a topic that people actually want to talk about.

On the flip side, there are a very small number of threads (such as "i'm in america and i'm going to have an open bar but these are my justifications....") that rarely go well, that don't need to be had because it's almost "settled law" on this site that the action is rude, and any newbie who asks that question might make other suspicious that the newbie is just trying to troll up some drama.

It's this latter set of topics that we should *maybe* warn newbies about. But it seems crazy to have a list of topics fourteen pages long when those topics could also just as easily be classified as "interesting topics" or "topics where there is no sense of agreement yet."

O'Dell

« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2009, 01:57:35 PM »
I'm a relative newbie here, but from what I've read here so far it looks like *any* topic is potentially a hot topic.  :o

And that shocked emoticon is serious too. There have definitely been some threads and even individual replies that I've been surprised to see kept around. There is at least one post I saw that I regret not reporting to a mod. I have no idea if the mod would have agreed with me, but I know I would have felt better about walking away from the thread.

I know some of the controversies are brought on by the fact that it's the internet. I think we all know well enough how and why statements can be misread or not articulate etc. and how things can get out of hand, but I admit that I was caught off guard by the fact that it's all taking place in a forum dedicated to etiquette. It's taken me some time to start adapting my other "message board" coping skills to ehell so that I can avoid the unofficial hot topics.

Eh...I guess this was just an expression of my mild disappointment at the idea there are hot topics on ehell and nothing constructive.  :-\
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2009, 02:02:25 PM »
There is such a marked difference between hot topics and overly heated topics that i think is being ignored here. It's not a bad thing to have a topic go on for 10+ pages and spark multiple spin offs. If anything, that means that somebody has brought up a topic that people actually want to talk about.

On the flip side, there are a very small number of threads (such as "i'm in america and i'm going to have an open bar but these are my justifications....") that rarely go well, that don't need to be had because it's almost "settled law" on this site that the action is rude, and any newbie who asks that question might make other suspicious that the newbie is just trying to troll up some drama.

It's this latter set of topics that we should *maybe* warn newbies about. But it seems crazy to have a list of topics fourteen pages long when those topics could also just as easily be classified as "interesting topics" or "topics where there is no sense of agreement yet."

That's been my position as well.

Which is why the initial list in the thread is more limited than what's been mentioned in the thread itself.

If there's a topic that I need to add to the initial post, please let me know.  But, conversely, if there's one in that list that's actually not a "heated" topic but just a "hot" one that been interesting to discuss, I can remove it.*  The list is fluid.  I need input as to what we feel are the top truly "heated" topics around here.

*  When I redid the list a couple of weeks ago, I actually did take out a few things that aren't really "hot" after all.  I can do that again, if necessary.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:25:16 AM by Dottyg »

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2010, 06:08:17 PM »
Hi Dottyg,

You might want to add "gifts to children" in the OP of this thread.  I notice that it's getting very controversial.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC