Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 119475 times)

Scuba_Dog

Re: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of
« Reply #240 on: November 01, 2010, 05:26:40 PM »
Knitting? Really? I am so confused and am having trouble finding the story on this. Help? XD

Yeah, that's one thing I was confused about too.  Basic manners are one thing, but a whole big list of random topics that can't (or shouldn't) be discussed......that's a bit weird. 

Is it?  Everyone else seems fine with it. 

It's not a difficult concept really.  Many people have explained (including a MOD) that it's just here as a courtesy and a guideline for newcomers.

Many members have replied to try and help you with your confusion.  You should read the posts.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #241 on: November 01, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »
If memory serves the knitting one had to do with if it was OK or not to do in social situations.  I will see if I can find something.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #242 on: November 01, 2010, 05:34:58 PM »
If memory serves the knitting one had to do with if it was OK or not to do in social situations.  I will see if I can find something.

This one? :) - Would it be Rude to Knit?

DottyG, any chance you could confirm whether the above thread is the one you meant by the (rather cryptic) Knitting (just do a search - it's too bizarre to try to explain!) in the OP?

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #243 on: November 01, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »
I have a question, or maybe just an issue. I've been posting on a thread and maybe it's a subject that's been done to death. I think it's perfectly OK for someone who's been around longer to give a head's up, but I had one poster tell me more than once that that subject had been discussed before so there was no reason to bring it up again.

We haven't all been here as long as some of you. To the newer members, these subjects might be of current interest. It's really not the same, to tell someone to 'do a search, it's been discussed before'. If I wanted the last word, I'll pull out my Miss Manners', but in general, I'm here for the discussion. It felt really rude and dismissive.

Also, I think there are some issues that are seen as particurly contentious because one thread long ago got way out of hand. But it's not the issue itself, it's because posters on that particular thread forgot their manners. We all have our lines in the sand that aren't a matter of strict etiquette (shoes in the house, for example). It's only when posters decide to fight to death over their opinions that these threads become 'hot topics'.

JMO.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #244 on: November 01, 2010, 05:56:30 PM »
Also, I think there are some issues that are seen as particurly contentious because one thread long ago got way out of hand.

Danger, you have a good point.  The purpose of the list, though, isn't a definitive "DO NOT EVER SPEAK OF THIS ISSUE EVER AGAIN!"  It's merely a "heads up" that the issue DID get contentious before.  For whatever reason (even if that was that people didn't mind their manners), it got heated.  So, a glance at the past thread(s) related to that issue may provide some guidelines to (the generic) you if you do wish to bring up the subject again.  It's a way of knowing that, for whatever reason, you could be stepping into the quicksand and not realize it.  So, just tread a little lightly and carefully.

That said, there really are some topics that, while not verboten here, really are ones that are SO likely to become heated that it might be best to really, really think hard about starting another thread on them.  Not to say that you can't do so.  But, if a newbie comes in and posts a "Hey everyone!  What do you think about telling my guests that they must take off their shoes and start breastfeeding before pushing their shopping carts into my home?!", you can probably hear the audible groan across the world!

Everyone, please see War_Doc's post above.  It really is a good post.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #245 on: November 01, 2010, 05:58:45 PM »
2.  just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

Tube sock?  ;D

OK T'Mar, that made me LOL.  ;D
No matter where you go, there you are...

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #246 on: November 01, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »
2.  just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

Tube sock?  ;D

I was so caught up in trying to explain the reason for the list that I missed T'Mar's response.  That made me laugh as well! :D

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #247 on: November 01, 2010, 06:06:00 PM »

Tube sock?  ;D

I was so caught up in trying to explain the reason for the list that I missed T'Mar's response.  That made me laugh as well! :D

I'll never look at tube socks the same way again :D

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #248 on: November 01, 2010, 06:07:10 PM »

Tube sock?  ;D

What's that?

It is a long, usually knee length, athletic sock.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #249 on: November 01, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »

CherryRipe

« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »
If memory serves the knitting one had to do with if it was OK or not to do in social situations.  I will see if I can find something.

DottyG, any chance you could confirm whether the above thread is the one you meant by the (rather cryptic) Knitting (just do a search - it's too bizarre to try to explain!) in the OP?

Well, that's a no-brainer--the issue here isn't knitting, per se, it's doing supposedly unobtrusive activities that MIGHT have the potential to be disruptive, in an environment where people are expected to pay attention.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »

Tube sock?  ;D

Now I'm thinking of a little garter belt for the snake to hold the sock up. HAHAH!!
No matter where you go, there you are...

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2010, 06:14:17 PM »

Well, that's a no-brainer--the issue here isn't knitting, per se, it's doing supposedly unobtrusive activities that MIGHT have the potential to be disruptive, in an environment where people are expected to pay attention.

But fortunately, that's not the issue under discussion in this thread :)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #253 on: November 01, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »

Tube sock?  ;D

Now I'm thinking of a little garter belt for the snake to hold the sock up. HAHAH!!

That will make me look at garter snakes in a whole new way.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #254 on: November 05, 2010, 11:10:00 PM »
Okay, I've just read (well, skimmed) through fifteen pages of posts about what we can't talk about here, and I just have two questions:

1.  DottyG, what's left to talk about?

2.  VorFemme, just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

I think that there are stretch bandages that stick to themselves that MIGHT be used to hold an absorbent pad of some kind over the orifice on a snake - but it would most likely be easier to disinfect the table thoroughly after the snake touched it.  Salmonella bacteria on a snake's skin is not limited to any one area, as I understand it.  You  might have to bathe the snake in disinfectant.........possibly clean its mouth with mouthwash & a couple of other areas as well.

Not that I've ever tried to raise a snake in a sterile environment - although I've watched my mother care for lambs being raised in a sterile environment.............

As for knitting - the idea behind this is "is it rude for me to knit HERE?"  (for a reason such as it helps me relax & retain information better or some such reasoning) in a location where knitting might distract others (say a church service, a class, or some such location not usually associated with knitting).

There might also be joking (half-joking) references to carrying a knitting bag as a place of concealment for other items (Evil VorFemme carries a blaster, Snarky carries a stunner, I carry my ereader, and possibly a couple of small chocolates).  Of course, Snarky and Evil have access to a pocket universe where their knitting bags also have chocolate bunnies, cold milk, Kahlua (and a few other liquors that mix well with chocolate & milk in case they need a Bunny FooFoo), a nail file, and as many other items as might prove handy to pull out in an emergency.............etiquette or otherwise.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 11:40:28 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?