Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of

<< < (56/56)

oz diva:
The list in the OP might be all very well, but I'd assume there have been numerous new members since 2008. We haven't discussed those things to death. If you don't want to weigh in, then don't. Just let us newbies work it all out for ourselves. Should I conduct a search everytime I want to start a thread?

MariaE:

--- Quote from: oz diva on September 11, 2011, 06:44:10 AM ---The list in the OP might be all very well, but I'd assume there have been numerous new members since 2008. We haven't discussed those things to death. If you don't want to weigh in, then don't. Just let us newbies work it all out for ourselves. Should I conduct a search everytime I want to start a thread?

--- End quote ---

From the OP (bolding mine):

--- Quote ---Note:
The purpose of the list, though, isn't a definitive "DO NOT EVER SPEAK OF THIS ISSUE EVER AGAIN!"  It's merely a "heads up" that the issue DID get contentious before.  For whatever reason (even if that was that people didn't mind their manners), it got heated.  So, a glance at the past thread(s) related to that issue may provide some guidelines to (the generic) you if you do wish to bring up the subject again.  It's a way of knowing that, for whatever reason, you could be stepping into the quicksand and not realize it.  So, just tread a little lightly and carefully.

That said, there really are some topics that, while not verboten here, really are ones that are SO likely to become heated that it might be best to really, really think hard about starting another thread on them.  Not to say that you can't do so.  But, if a newbie comes in and posts a "Hey everyone!  What do you think about telling my guests that they must take off their shoes and start breastfeeding before pushing their shopping carts into my home?!", you can probably hear the audible groan across the world!

Also, please see War_Doc's post in Reply #235.  It really is a good post.

--- End quote ---

afbluebelle:
Don't insult the relevancy of Robert Ebert in modern show business. It won't go well  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version