Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 111568 times)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
Re: For Our Newbies
« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
Shopping cart thread? I can't imagine why this would be an etiquette issue (although I'm sure it is- if shoes in the house are, then anything's possible  ;D ).

Don't ask.  Trust me! :D

Hey, y'all - just a reminder...this thread is for seriously overdone and/or "we know they're contentious" topics.  It looks like we're starting to get some suggestions for additions for things that may or may not need to be put on the list.  This is just a "heads up" for our newbies as to the topics that they'd be better off doing a search for before starting a new thread on - not every possible topic that could be discussed here (we'd run out of things to talk about if we put everything on this list!)

Well, the topics I mentioned in my last two posts come up all the time, generally because newbies (even oldies sometimes) take issue with established rules of etiquette.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:54 AM »
Shopping cart thread? I can't imagine why this would be an etiquette issue (although I'm sure it is- if shoes in the house are, then anything's possible  ;D ).

Hey, y'all - just a reminder...this thread is for seriously overdone and/or "we know they're contentious" topics.  It looks like we're starting to get some suggestions for additions for things that may or may not need to be put on the list.  This is just a "heads up" for our newbies as to the topics that they'd be better off doing a search for before starting a new thread on - not every possible topic that could be discussed here (we'd run out of things to talk about if we put everything on this list!)

Well, the topics I mentioned in my last two posts come up all the time, generally because newbies (even oldies sometimes) take issue with established rules of etiquette.

Sorry - I wasn't picking on your topics!  I was speaking in general.

Lisbeth

• A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2008, 11:01:13 AM »

Sorry - I wasn't picking on your topics!  I was speaking in general.

I understand that-I didn't think you were taking issue with me or the topics I mentioned.

I agree that not every topic that becomes really controversial can be listed here-but this thread is still useful to let people know where the ground is soft.
NYC

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
If school/team fundraisers aren't on the list, they should be.

I think in the last week alone, there have been like 3 threads on fundraisers.

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2008, 02:41:35 PM »
I thought it might help to have a list of topics that are either 1) possibly contentious or 2) done to death by now.  These are ones that you might want to do a quick search of the site on before you start a new thread on them.  It'll save you a lot of grief, I promise! :)

Old-timers, feel free to add to the list.

1) Removing shoes in the house - yes or no?
2) Breastfeeding - ok in public or not?
3) Knitting (just do a search - it's too bizarre to try to explain!)
4) Shopping carts - take them back or leave them in the parking lot?
5) Is it "Childfree" or "Childless"
6) Tipping - necessary or not?
7) Sharing your recipes - do you have to do it?
8 ) Bringing outside food/drink into movie theaters
9) Peanut allergies
10) Any kind of retaliatory actions against people who steal from you (ie, putting Ex-Lax in food so that a thief in your office "learns" not to steal food from you is ILLEGAL.  Please don't post that it's a good idea to do something like this.  It's not looked upon well here at EHell.)
11) Is it ok for kids to play in the middle of the street?
12) Various condiments that "should always be on the table" when eating

I CANNOT find knitting - is it like Scrabble?

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »
I thought it might help to have a list of topics that are either 1) possibly contentious or 2) done to death by now.  These are ones that you might want to do a quick search of the site on before you start a new thread on them.  It'll save you a lot of grief, I promise! :)

9) Peanut allergies
10) Any kind of retaliatory actions against people who steal from you (ie, putting Ex-Lax in food so that a thief in your office "learns" not to steal food from you is ILLEGAL.  Please don't post that it's a good idea to do something like this.  It's not looked upon well here at EHell.)

I CANNOT find knitting - is it like Scrabble?

No, I think it's literal knitting - whether or not it is rude to do so while talking to others/at someone elses house/at the movies etc.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2008, 03:07:50 PM »
DUH - sorry

I crochet and I never make the connection (two needles versus one I guess)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2008, 06:31:21 PM »

9) Peanut allergies

We should probably add "clothing to wear when reporting for jury duty" to the list, even though I don't really think that will come up again.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2008, 07:33:17 PM »
We should probably add "clothing to wear when reporting for jury duty" to the list, even though I don't really think that will come up again.

Gad, I hope not.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2009, 11:56:59 PM »
Add "how to respond to door-to-door solicitors/pamphlet hander-outers/find Daisys visitors".

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2009, 12:13:48 AM »
Add "how to respond to door-to-door solicitors/pamphlet hander-outers/find Daisys visitors".

And telemarketers.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Lisbeth

• A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2009, 12:16:02 AM »

And telemarketers.

And fundraisers at work.
NYC

Lisbeth

• A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »
One other one: Mary Sues.   There are getting to be large numbers of Mary Sue threads.
NYC

L.A. Lady

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »
One other one: Mary Sues.   There are getting to be large numbers of Mary Sue threads.

What is a Mary Sue thread?

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2009, 03:51:35 PM »

I've missed the Mary Sues. I must not be reading in the right category.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.