Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 114513 times)

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
Re: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »
Wind chimes?  I've been here a loooong time and didn't know that.

----------------->heading to the search function b/c I can't possibly understand how wind chimes can be heated.

If you find the link, would you please PM me with it? I scratched my head when I saw this. I suck at searches and I don't remember this thread.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Re - windchimes - while this particular thread didn't get locked it did sort of devolve into a "if you have windchimes you you are inconsiderate of your neighbor" vs "its my backyard I can do what I want" from which there is no coming back.  I know there has been more than one thread because that one isn't as heated as I remember them being  - it is entirely possible though that the others were on the old forum.

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=33450.0

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »
Whether it's okay for businesses to check ID for credit card/check purchases got pretty heated the couple of times it was discussed.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »
A new topic for the list: Peanut-free schools and camps.
??? I'm a  bit confused, this thread doesn't seem to be getting heated to me.

I think she means that it's overdone at this point.  We had this topic discussed in just about every way possible by now.  It seems as if a new thread on the subject pops up monthly - it'd be better for our new members to just contribute to one of the existing threads rather than start yet another one.

And, Keen, I've added it to the list in the OP.

Thanks...a new one got started anyway, and the word "astounded" has appeared in it in relation to opposition to a certain take on the matter.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »
I do wish (and I suggested it already) that letting pet cats outdoors be added to the list.  A thread on it this week got hot and locked really quickly.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

twinkletoes

« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
I do wish (and I suggested it already) that letting pet cats outdoors be added to the list.  A thread on it this week got hot and locked really quickly.

*nods*

There were a few of us hiding out in a virtual bunker during that one!

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2009, 07:48:06 PM »
I know, I know... I'm afraid to post on that topic, personally.  I just want to spare other cat lovers some high blood pressure and angst.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
I know, I know... I'm afraid to post on that topic, personally.  I just want to spare other cat lovers some high blood pressure and angst.

I think there are some topics which you have to conclude the OP is trolling no matter how new they are, unless they're also new to both the Internet, TV, radio, and in general life not spent under a rock.

I clicked the link, read 2 lines, and got away from the computer before I was tempted to post.

twinkletoes

« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2009, 02:28:42 PM »
I know, I know... I'm afraid to post on that topic, personally.  I just want to spare other cat lovers some high blood pressure and angst.

I think there are some topics which you have to conclude the OP is trolling no matter how new they are, unless they're also new to both the Internet, TV, radio, and in general life not spent under a rock.

I clicked the link, read 2 lines, and got away from the computer before I was tempted to post.

That's the thing - should the thread just be automatically locked down?  You know, "I'm taking this away because you all have shown that we can't have nice things."  Which isn't fair to the whole board, as it's usually just only a handful of people acting up, but I can see why it's done.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #159 on: August 14, 2009, 01:47:50 AM »

That's the thing - should the thread just be automatically locked down?  You know, "I'm taking this away because you all have shown that we can't have nice things."  Which isn't fair to the whole board, as it's usually just only a handful of people acting up, but I can see why it's done.

IMO, yes. Religion and politics are forbidden topics here because threads about them go down in spectacular flames - the same thing happens sooner or later with threads about cats being allowed to roam, so what's the difference, really? It's purely a matter of knowing your citizenry.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2009, 09:34:58 AM »
I know, I know... I'm afraid to post on that topic, personally.  I just want to spare other cat lovers some high blood pressure and angst.

I think as long as prior threads are left open, shutting down new threads would be fine, I think.  I think most of our "contentious topics" are contentious because each side has good points, but there's not a clear right and wrong.  The previously locked threads cover the debate very well, so there really should be no need to start another thread.

twinkletoes

« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »
I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread, but what about if it's rude to smuggle food into a movie theatre?

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2009, 01:06:48 PM »
I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread, but what about if it's rude to smuggle food into a movie theatre?

Is that very controversial?  I haven't seen it too much-I know there are some posters who think it's okay due to very high concession prices, but those threads haven't gotten very heated.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »

Is that very controversial?  I haven't seen it too much-I know there are some posters who think it's okay due to very high concession prices, but those threads haven't gotten very heated.

Bringing outside food into theatres is very controversial. It's been likened to stealing. I don't know if we've had this debate on this site, but there was more than one locked thread left behind at Delphooey.

twinkletoes

« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2009, 01:42:05 PM »

Bringing outside food into theatres is very controversial. It's been likened to stealing. I don't know if we've had this debate on this site, but there was more than one locked thread left behind at Delphooey.

Exactly.  I think it got heated because people were using unflattering descriptors for the "other side."  You know, "people who do this are...." etc.