Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 117723 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of
« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
One I didn't see mentioned in the last several pages - but the topics of keeping outdoor-only dogs and of not spaying/neutering family pets.  I know there have been at least a few threads that have been locked, but a lot more have devolved into a very ugly shade of "I think people who do XYZ are cruel, evil people and should have their pets taken away" - when there are posters who have very clearly stated that they do XYZ further upthread.  I think this is one of those topics where some people feel "getting the word out" about why XYZ is wrong is more important than sparing the feelings of other posters sometimes  :-\

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
"I think people who do XYZ are cruel, evil people and should have their pets taken away" - when there are posters who have very clearly stated that they do XYZ further upthread. 

Actually, I notice this (the above quoted) happening in many threads with varied topics.  I just try to tell myself that the person must not have read the thread, because if they did, surely they wouldn't say those things about their fellow posters. 
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

L.A. Lady

« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »
Is it possible to add any topics seeking advice on rudeness or other issues that take place in medical clinics or hospitals?
The ones that have been discussed in the past always seem to be locked after a few pages because the posts go into either medical issue territory or legal advice territory.
I'm not saying that there aren't some legitimate questions that are asked in these threads, but most of them end up talking about HIPPA or medical issues.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2010, 04:19:04 PM »
any topics seeking advice on rudeness

Give me an example of this one, so I know how to phrase it.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2010, 04:22:42 PM »
I wonder if that fits more into the basic rules of the forum though?

It's not a Hot Topic but an outright rule-breaker to offer that kind of advice/commentary here.
Winston Churchill

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2010, 04:24:20 PM »

It's not a Hot Topic but an outright rule-breaker to offer that kind of advice/commentary here.

I think what happens a lot is that people ask for advice about an actual etiquette situation, but it's taking place IN a hospital/clinic/etc, so it ends up pulling in those details, and then as discussion continues, bam, we have a medical/legal discussion.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »

I think what happens a lot is that people ask for advice about an actual etiquette situation, but it's taking place IN a hospital/clinic/etc, so it ends up pulling in those details, and then as discussion continues, bam, we have a medical/legal discussion.

Could this be avoided (or helped in any way) if we older-timers put in a gentle warning early in the thread to make sure we stay on topic and don't drift?  Maybe if we guided the thread (and, I mean VERY GENTLY) a bit, we might be able to keep the locking from happening?

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #202 on: June 30, 2010, 04:29:46 PM »

Could this be avoided (or helped in any way) if we older-timers put in a gentle warning early in the thread to make sure we stay on topic and don't drift?  Maybe if we guided the thread (and, I mean VERY GENTLY) a bit, we might be able to keep the locking from happening?

It's a good idea, but I've seen a few threads where the gentle, and sometimes not so gentle, warning just don't land. Not sure if there's really a surefire way to avoid it.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #203 on: June 30, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »

Yeah, I suppose it's one of those topics that might be difficult to address w/out including those things.  Although, I think if we focus *solely* on etiquette, it can be done.  

Sometimes I think the etiquette issue is a very simple one but for the sake of discussion, and sometimes debate, the thread moves into a medical or legal discussion once the question has been answered.  

I do think that members here are *really* good at keeping it in check though, with posts reminding others to refrain.

Winston Churchill

secretrebel

« Reply #204 on: October 06, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »
Does reading gift books before giving them now count as a hot topic?

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=84552.0
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 09:31:25 AM by secretrebel »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2010, 03:04:02 PM »
If we listed every topic that was closed, we'd 1) have a huge list and 2) never be able to talk about anything here!

The list is more for the "ultrasuperdupermajor topics" that have proven more than once to get out of control.  Or, have polarized the site so much that trying to start another thread on it is a disaster in the making from the very beginning.  For instance, we don't need to rehash "shoes on or off before entering a home" yet again.  Anyone that wants to play with that can of worms can do a search and see all the necessary viewpoints on it!

See the difference?

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #206 on: October 06, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
If we listed every topic that was closed, we'd 1) have a huge list and 2) never be able to talk about anything here!

The list is more for the "ultrasuperdupermajor topics" that have proven more than once to get out of control.  Or, have polarized the site so much that trying to start another thread on it is a disaster in the making from the very beginning.  For instance, we don't need to rehash "shoes on or off before entering a home" yet again.  Anyone that wants to play with that can of worms can do a search and see all the necessary viewpoints on it!

See the difference?

From reading the books thread, I would say that would fall under a Hot Topic.

SiotehCat

« Reply #207 on: October 06, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »

See the difference?

I would agree. I didnt participate in the thread, but I did read it.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2010, 04:25:09 PM »

See the difference?

I agree.  The fact that it grew so large so fast and ended up getting locked pretty much qualifies it in my book!  I don't think I've seen a thread grow that quickly in a while.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2010, 04:28:07 PM »

See the difference?

I agree.  The fact that it grew so large so fast and ended up getting locked pretty much qualifies it in my book!  I don't think I've seen a thread grow that quickly in a while.

There was also a very large divide, so I think that added to it. I would say in most threads, there's a general consensus, even if there is a long discussion. But that one was clearly divided.