Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 116995 times)

secretrebel

Re: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of
« Reply #210 on: October 08, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »
If we listed every topic that was closed, we'd 1) have a huge list and 2) never be able to talk about anything here!

The list is more for the "ultrasuperdupermajor topics" that have proven more than once to get out of control.  Or, have polarized the site so much that trying to start another thread on it is a disaster in the making from the very beginning.  For instance, we don't need to rehash "shoes on or off before entering a home" yet again.  Anyone that wants to play with that can of worms can do a search and see all the necessary viewpoints on it!

See the difference?

Difference? Sorry I'm not clear on what you mean. The difference between a locked topic and a 'ultrasuperdupermajor' topic?

I've not suggested a topic for inclusion in this list before and I've seen lots of locked threads. I thought the gift books thread counted as a serious community division like shoes on vs shoes off and therefore was a 'hot' topic.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #211 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
When I think of a Hot Topic, I think of something that comes up over and over again, not only in life but on the board.  It's something that if you do a search, you will find multiple threads about it.

I don't consider reading books before gifting them to be a Hot Topic because I doubt it will come up again and if so, it won't be very often.  Was it a contentious topic?  Yes.  But, lots of threads here are, that doesn't make them "Hot" IMO.

I thought Dotty's explanation was perfect.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:18:36 AM by Scuba_Dog »
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #212 on: October 08, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »
A locked topic is simply one particular thread where the moderators have decided to close it, either because the subject is not etiquette-related (say on domestic abuse) or because two or more posters have exchanged words, shall we say, and the tone has gotten really aggressive and hostile.  If it's locked, then the moderators have decided that no one else can post in the thread or respond to existing posts.

An "ultrasuperdupermajor topic", on the other hand, is one that can be discussed, but that has been discussed in depth in the past and has led to a number of locked threads due to aggression and hostility breaking out between posters, often because the subject is a very controversial one (although you never know what's controversial, as such things as guests wearing shoes in the house and returning shopping carts to the front of a store upon departure have led to such actions! ;) )
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

MaggieB

« Reply #213 on: October 08, 2010, 11:49:23 AM »
I agree with Dottyg (and others.)  The Hot Topics list is meant to be a relatively permanent addition to this site.  Some topics have been discussed so many times that there is just nothing more to say and no new way to ask a related question.  The topic has been presented every way you could think of and with every caveat or qualifier until it makes us groan. 

But we've had one thread about reading books before giving them as gifts.  Sure, we don't need to discuss it again this week.  And yes, that thread would be a good starting point for people who had a question.  But as time goes on and the forum evolves and new members cycle in, it might be reasonable to ask a similar question at some point down the road. 

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #214 on: October 08, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
Actuallly, we've had a few threads about the book reading before giving it as a gift. But it's been a long time and I don't think it was as contentious the others times around.

I still maintain that I would consider it a Hot Topic. This thread isn't entitled "Ultrasuperdupermajor Topic That Can Never Be Discussed Again."

I suspect that if a new poster posted about this subject in, say, 6 months, a few posters would point out that it was recently discussed and was rather contentious, and warn them. I consider those kinds of things hot topics.

And in fact, the first line in Dotty's OP on this thread says, "topics that are either 1) possibly contentious OR 2) done to death by now." This definitely qualifies as contentious.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:17:48 PM by jimithing »

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #215 on: October 08, 2010, 11:16:34 PM »
Hot topics might end up on the hot topic list  ;)
Texas

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #216 on: October 08, 2010, 11:18:24 PM »

Haha. Love it.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #217 on: October 08, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »
A locked topic is simply one particular thread where the moderators have decided to close it, either because the subject is not etiquette-related (say on domestic abuse) or because two or more posters have exchanged words, shall we say, and the tone has gotten really aggressive and hostile.  If it's locked, then the moderators have decided that no one else can post in the thread or respond to existing posts.

An "ultrasuperdupermajor topic", on the other hand, is one that can be discussed, but that has been discussed in depth in the past and has led to a number of locked threads due to aggression and hostility breaking out between posters, often because the subject is a very controversial one (although you never know what's controversial, as such things as guests wearing shoes in the house and returning shopping carts to the front of a store upon departure have led to such actions! ;) )

Re moderators locking threads - I don't think it's necessarily because posters have become nasty with each other. I think that sometimes it's simply because posters have been going around in circles about the topic for several days, many believe X while others believe Y, and there is obviously going to be no consensus.  Plus, often there's no established etiquette advice on the issue - or, if there is, the etiquette-mavens are just as divided on the topic.

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #218 on: October 08, 2010, 11:56:12 PM »

Haha. Love it.

ROFL. How meta.  ;D

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #219 on: October 09, 2010, 01:01:51 PM »

Re moderators locking threads - I don't think it's necessarily because posters have become nasty with each other. I think that sometimes it's simply because posters have been going around in circles about the topic for several days, many believe X while others believe Y, and there is obviously going to be no consensus.  Plus, often there's no established etiquette advice on the issue - or, if there is, the etiquette-mavens are just as divided on the topic.

Usually when arguments get circular, they have gotten heated and sarcastic after going on for many pages and I've noticed that under those circumstances, the moderators do shut them down.  I agree that the moderators often do it because the topics are not etiquette-related as well, such as when the threads become about health-related issues or legal matters.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
I didn't see this listed, but it's possible I missed it. Has threads about "The View" been mentioned? Seems like they always get locked.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »
The reason most threads about "The View" are closed is because they degenerate into politics. The latest one concerning Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar walking out on Bill O'Reilly started out, on the surface anyway, strictly discussing the etiquette of walking out on one's guest. I think that lasted for about 15 posts. Then it devolved into why the hosts the walked out, a topic which is highly controversial and divisive. It was only a matter of time because some posters just can't help themselves, apparently, although they should know better when it comes to this forum.

Now, the cynic in me thinks the OP of that thread, and honestly I couldn't tell you who it was and I don't care, must have known that the it was a very potentially volatile subject. But maybe not, so I'll give her/him the benefit of the doubt.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
The reason most threads about "The View" are closed is because they degenerate into politics. The latest one concerning Whoopi Goldberg and Joy Behar walking out on Bill O'Reilly started out, on the surface anyway, strictly discussing the etiquette of walking out on one's guest. I think that lasted for about 15 posts. Then it devolved into why the hosts the walked out, a topic which is highly controversial and divisive. It was only a matter of time because some posters just can't help themselves, apparently, although they should know better when it comes to this forum.

Now, the cynic in me thinks the OP of that thread, and honestly I couldn't tell you who it was and I don't care, must have known that the it was a very potentially volatile subject. But maybe not, so I'll give her/him the benefit of the doubt.

It also seems like there can't be a discussion without mentioning how horrible the hosts are, how none of them have any manners, etc.

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »
It also seems like there can't be a discussion without mentioning how horrible the hosts are, how none of them have any manners, etc.

Bolding, mine. I actually kind of think that's true.

I remember hearing the story on the news and deciding not to post because I figured there was just too much for potential trouble.

CherryRipe

« Reply #224 on: November 01, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
Okay, I've just read (well, skimmed) through fifteen pages of posts about what we can't talk about here, and I just have two questions:

1.  DottyG, what's left to talk about?

2.  VorFemme, just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.