Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 119568 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of
« Reply #225 on: November 01, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
Okay, I've just read (well, skimmed) through fifteen pages of posts about what we can't talk about here, and I just have two questions:

1.  DottyG, what's left to talk about?

What's in the thread is not, necessarily, what ended up in the list.  Please review the initial post in this thread.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2010, 01:37:37 PM »
2.  just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

Tube sock?  ;D

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

penelope2017

« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »
Okay, I've just read (well, skimmed) through fifteen pages of posts about what we can't talk about here, and I just have two questions:

2.  VorFemme, just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

There are lots of things left to talk about if done in a respectful way. The above question wasn't very polite considering Dotty is trying to do a service to new people here.

bluebirds

« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »
2.  just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

Tube sock?  ;D

What's that?

CherryRipe

« Reply #229 on: November 01, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »

2.  VorFemme, just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

There are lots of things left to talk about if done in a respectful way. The above question wasn't very polite considering Dotty is trying to do a service to new people here.

Well, I read through fifteen pages of "don'ts," and I'm still confused.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #230 on: November 01, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »

1. DottyG, what's left to talk about?

The OP is a summary of the 15 pages that follow.  Believe it or not, there are still many things that can be posted about.  It is even possible to post about the things listed in the OP-this thread is merely a warning to be careful, as those threads have been known to get very controversial and heated, not to let things get out of hand or keep arguing things that have previously been discussed (in some cases, to death).
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

CherryRipe

« Reply #231 on: November 01, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »

The OP is a summary of the 15 pages that follow.  Believe it or not, there are still many things that can be posted about.  It is even possible to post about the things listed in the OP-this thread is merely a warning to be careful, as those threads have been known to get very controversial and heated, not to let things get out of hand or keep arguing things that have previously been discussed (in some cases, to death).

Oh, okay. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #232 on: November 01, 2010, 03:18:49 PM »

2.  VorFemme, just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

To requote what I already said a couple of pages back:

The list is more for the "ultrasuperdupermajor topics" that have proven more than once to get out of control.  Or, have polarized the site so much that trying to start another thread on it is a disaster in the making from the very beginning.  For instance, we don't need to rehash "shoes on or off before entering a home" yet again.  Anyone that wants to play with that can of worms can do a search and see all the necessary viewpoints on it!

If you will notice, the list that appears in the OP is not, necessarily, all the things that are listed in the entire thread.  The thread is a gathering of people's ideas in which the most "ultrasuperdupermajor topics" were attempted to be culled and placed into the resulting list in the OP.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #233 on: November 01, 2010, 03:20:58 PM »

2.  VorFemme, just how would one go about putting a diaper on a snake?  They don't have legs, so I don't see any way to hold it in place.

What are you confused about?  

It's a folder that was made as a courtesy for newcomers.  It lets them know that these topics (look at the OP, as DottyG suggested) are "Hot Topics", meaning they have either been done to death or are very contentious.  

It doesn't say you can't post about them, or that you are not allowed to post about them. Although, it might be wise to perform a search and see if you can find your answers in a previous thread about the topic before starting a new one.  That's a general forum rule anyway though.

Also, it would seem that there is still plenty to talk about here, the popularity of the forum is a testament to that.

DottyG went to quite a bit of work to make that list.  Thank you for that, Dotty!

Edited to add:  CR, while you may not have meant it to, I also thought your "question" to Dotty was less than polite.  I'm sure you didn't mean it that way but some clarification would be nice.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:24:54 PM by Scuba_Dog »
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #234 on: November 01, 2010, 03:24:25 PM »
CherryRipe, the only off-limit topics are listed in the Forum Rules.  Dotty's list is topics we need to be careful with, based on past threads.  It does not mean we can't post about these topics.  It just means there have been problems in the past, so we need to be very very careful.

As for topics being done to death, well, not everyone has been here since the beginning of time, so I think it's okay for others to talk about topics we've discussed before.  Everyone's opinions are useful, not just those who were here and happened to have posted on the subject before. 

War_Doc

« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2010, 04:12:03 PM »
Cherry, I'm not sure if you are intentionally asking this question or if it is because you don't understand the gist of this thread.  There is nothing forbidden in these 15 pages, it was just to make people aware that these types of topics tend to get out of hand real quickly if left unchecked.

Now, with that said, if you feel a thread, post, e.g. is a problem, then report it to the moderators so they can handle it.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2010, 05:02:20 PM »
Knitting? Really? I am so confused and am having trouble finding the story on this. Help? XD

CherryRipe

« Reply #237 on: November 01, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
Knitting? Really? I am so confused and am having trouble finding the story on this. Help? XD

Yeah, that's one thing I was confused about too.  Basic manners are one thing, but a whole big list of random topics that can't (or shouldn't) be discussed......that's a bit weird. 

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #238 on: November 01, 2010, 05:17:22 PM »
I've been here four years(ish) and I'll admit to being confused about the knitting one too (although that could be because I'm not into knitting and have never really looked out for topics on the subject.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #239 on: November 01, 2010, 05:18:34 PM »
a whole big list of random topics that can't (or shouldn't) be discussed  

Please reread the responses (including the one from a mod above) that you have received to your posts as to whether topics "can't" or "shouldn't" be discussed.