Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 117691 times)

furrcats

Re: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of
« Reply #270 on: June 21, 2011, 05:00:58 AM »

I've posted this several times now. I really cannot think of a more clear way to say this.

New hot topic: asking in this thread if there's a ban on posting these topics.

In the spirit in which this was posted, I like this.

Me too

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2011, 06:10:07 AM »
I think the subject of wearing a man's hat indoors can be added to this list.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2011, 07:53:31 AM »
How about the issue of sports on TV at wedding receptions?  That's come up maybe three times but it got heated every time with no final consensus.

lmyrs

« Reply #273 on: July 20, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »
I have a question.  If you do have a legitimate question you want some input but it is on a hot topic, that means we can't discuss it? I know if you want to add something to an unlocked thread, that's allowable, but I'm not clear if this thread is just to warn us that these discussions tend to go south quickly or if it means it is not to be discussed period?

I've posted this several times now. I really cannot think of a more clear way to say this.

The purpose of the list, though, isn't a definitive "DO NOT EVER SPEAK OF THIS ISSUE EVER AGAIN!"  It's merely a "heads up" that the issue DID get contentious before.  For whatever reason (even if that was that people didn't mind their manners), it got heated.  So, a glance at the past thread(s) related to that issue may provide some guidelines to (the generic) you if you do wish to bring up the subject again.  It's a way of knowing that, for whatever reason, you could be stepping into the quicksand and not realize it.  So, just tread a little lightly and carefully.

That said, there really are some topics that, while not verboten here, really are ones that are SO likely to become heated that it might be best to really, really think hard about starting another thread on them.  Not to say that you can't do so.  But, if a newbie comes in and posts a "Hey everyone!  What do you think about telling my guests that they must take off their shoes and start breastfeeding before pushing their shopping carts into my home?!", you can probably hear the audible groan across the world!

Everyone, please see War_Doc's post above.  It really is a good post.

Dotty, I think the problem is that, while you and others have posted it several times, you posted it several times in amongst 19 pages of other stuff. I would like to respectfully recommend that you post it this clearly in the OP so that new posters don't immediately see a 19 page thread of things that they can't talk about and just turn around and leave. (I know that's not what it is. It's just how it may seem, if you know what I mean.)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #274 on: July 20, 2011, 06:05:52 PM »
If that's all it takes, I'm all for it!  'Tis done! :)

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #275 on: September 11, 2011, 06:44:10 AM »
The list in the OP might be all very well, but I'd assume there have been numerous new members since 2008. We haven't discussed those things to death. If you don't want to weigh in, then don't. Just let us newbies work it all out for ourselves. Should I conduct a search everytime I want to start a thread?

Victoria

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #276 on: September 11, 2011, 07:16:17 AM »
The list in the OP might be all very well, but I'd assume there have been numerous new members since 2008. We haven't discussed those things to death. If you don't want to weigh in, then don't. Just let us newbies work it all out for ourselves. Should I conduct a search everytime I want to start a thread?

From the OP (bolding mine):
Note:
The purpose of the list, though, isn't a definitive "DO NOT EVER SPEAK OF THIS ISSUE EVER AGAIN!"  It's merely a "heads up" that the issue DID get contentious before.  For whatever reason (even if that was that people didn't mind their manners), it got heated.  So, a glance at the past thread(s) related to that issue may provide some guidelines to (the generic) you if you do wish to bring up the subject again.  It's a way of knowing that, for whatever reason, you could be stepping into the quicksand and not realize it.  So, just tread a little lightly and carefully.

That said, there really are some topics that, while not verboten here, really are ones that are SO likely to become heated that it might be best to really, really think hard about starting another thread on them.  Not to say that you can't do so.  But, if a newbie comes in and posts a "Hey everyone!  What do you think about telling my guests that they must take off their shoes and start breastfeeding before pushing their shopping carts into my home?!", you can probably hear the audible groan across the world!

Also, please see War_Doc's post in Reply #235.  It really is a good post.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #277 on: October 13, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »
Don't insult the relevancy of Robert Ebert in modern show business. It won't go well  :P
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-