Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 117950 times)

MrsO

• Super Hero!
Re: For Our Newbies
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 04:24:20 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been covered here, but a lot have heated conversations seem to start if you say anything negative to say about certain dog breeds.
Pet threads in general can end up quite heated. How one cares for their pet, how one disciplines their pet, even what pet someone has.

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »
Don't forget the subject of laxatives in brownies...

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »
Oops, forgot: Large strollers/pushchairs  (sometimes referred to here as "SUV strollers").

I saw them referred to as 'Baby's First Hummer' in a post this morning and my laptop nearly ended up wearing my cup of tea  ;D

Showers for second babies.

That's generally a good tip. Don't drink and read!
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
Something else for our Newbies - READ THE FORUM RULES!!!  They're very easy to find - they're permanently "clipped" to the top of the forum.  There's no excuse for not knowing the rules here.

And, read the Abbreviations/Definitions thread.  You shouldn't ever have to ask what "POD" means when you see it in a thread - it's very well explained for you. ;)

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 01:53:10 PM »
ANYTHING to do with vegetarianism.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
Cake and punch receptions
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

L.A. Lady

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »
Cake and punch receptions

Serving alcohol at receptions/parties.

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 11:32:15 PM »
Sleeping arrangements: host's perogative or for guest to dictate?

That one almost always veers off into a discussion on morality and religion, and etiquette tends to get lost.

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 04:30:13 AM »
Anyone else starting to think it's be quicker to list the things we can talk about without getting into a heated discussion?  :P  ;D

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 10:58:49 AM »
Ha! Yes it would be quicker. The answer apparently is "nothing." It's a shame nearly every topic needs to devolve but there seem to be people determined to always take offense at every oppotunity.
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »
This thread isn't just for contentious topics.  It's also to let the newbies know what topics have just been done so many times that starting a new thread on it would be overkill.

See the examples earlier in the thread for some of these.  They're not contentious, just "please don't start yet another one on this" topics.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 11:40:02 AM »
Honestly, I don't mind the contentious threads. I tend to get into it (though those are threads where I try to read my message a few times before hitting post to ensure that I've chosen words carefully). If you don't like those threads, just stay out of them (not intended to be snarky). And for the "done to death threads" I admit, I just ignore them. Let the people who haven't read the same arguments a thousand times enjoy the debate.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2008, 12:45:49 PM »
Once again, this thread is a courtesy to our newbies.  Even a moderator has agreed above that there are certain topics that, when presented as "Hey!  I know this is probably a new thought, but have you people ever heard of people who want you to take your shoes off when entering someone's home?!" make about 99% of the posters here want to strike their heads against a desk.  YES, we know about this issue.  And, if you (generic newbie you) would lurk just a day or so and do a search, you'd see all the discussion about it! :)  Jump into one of THOSE threads instead of starting a whole new one - doing that will keep you from looking foolish as a newbie and will help you assimilate better!

This thread is not meant to be snarky.  It's meant to be a helpful TOOL for our newbies to learn what the most popular (and sometimes a little rough) threads have been in the past.  It's a good way of giving them a heads up as to what's what at EHell, so they feel more comfortable here more quickly.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »
Frankly, what annoys me more than the repetition of certain threads is that those who know better participate badly. By badly, I mean they become snarky and rude when they are the ones who should be setting an example by demonstrating that disagreements, even heated ones, still require civility.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »
Anyone else starting to think it's be quicker to list the things we can talk about without getting into a heated discussion?  :P  ;D

I believe that is limited to one topic: It's not ok to bring your snake into a restaurant.
Utah