Author Topic: For Our Newbies - HOT TOPICS that you need to be aware of  (Read 116866 times)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
Re: For Our Newbies
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »
I think you got it all covered in one post, Ckimoo65.  Good job!

To those who wonder what Hawaii might have to fill the niche left by the snakes: It's mosquito season all year round ;)

No really, we have a couple spiders with pesky bites, but no "poisonous spiders."  If one hikes up into the forest reserve, watch out for feral pigs.  You don't want to startle one or accidentally back it into a corner.  Otherwise, they will run away rather than attack humans.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2008, 05:07:29 PM »
I think you got it all covered in one post, Ckimoo65.  Good job!

To those who wonder what Hawaii might have to fill the niche left by the snakes: It's mosquito season all year round ;)

No really, we have a couple spiders with pesky bites, but no "poisonous spiders."  If one hikes up into the forest reserve, watch out for feral pigs.  You don't want to startle one or accidentally back it into a corner.  Otherwise, they will run away rather than attack humans.

You have cowardly feral pigs  :o  Wow!  Too bad they don't eat mosquitos!

OT/  About the snake:  My DH and I were at PetSmart last night buying a bigger home for our leopard gecko.  The girl who was feeding the snakes and lizards had a small ball python wrapped around her neck!

She said that he was cold and that she was trying to warm him up.  When I first saw her, I didn't know it was a real snake--it just looked like she had some sort of snake colored neck roll on the back of her neck.

But, sure enough, it was a real snake!

She is studying zoology at a local university here and we had a very interesting conversation.  She knows a lot about snakes and lizards but her passion for when she gets her degree is to go "save the cheetahs!"

(Of course at PetSmart you expect people to have all sorts of animals on or about their person.)

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2008, 09:48:24 AM »
Ckimoo -- you're a paragon of good etiquette!   :P

GREAT story!  HA!

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
When I visited Alligator Adventure last fall, one of the trainers was wearing a snake as a hat.

I was seriously weirded out. *shudder*
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »
When I visited Alligator Adventure last fall, one of the trainers was wearing a snake as a hat.

I was seriously weirded out. *shudder*

I kind of like snakes.  If you look at how intricate their features are on their face, it seems incredible how finely detailed they are--especially baby snakes.

And they aren't slimy at all.  I wouldn't want one as a pet though because they are escape artists.

But, I think they are cool.  I don't know that I would wear one as a hat though!  ;D

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
We should add the "Isn't it funny that the interesting assumption line is overused/used wrong on this site???" to the overdone threads. I swear I've seen 4 or 5 of them go by
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »
We should add the "Isn't it funny that the interesting assumption line is overused/used wrong on this site???" to the overdone threads. I swear I've seen 4 or 5 of them go by

What an interesting assumption.

***hides***

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2008, 11:16:21 AM »

What an interesting assumption.

***hides***
That's it. You guys are such bullies. I'm taking my thread.... and I'm going home!
Wherever you go.... there you are.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:46 PM »
Don't pull the thread!  The whole site will UNRAVEL!   >:D

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2008, 07:17:21 PM »
Don't worry, I'll sew it up. Or knit it.  ;D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »
Don't worry, I'll sew it up. Or knit it.  ;D
I've got my crochet hook handy.  Just keep talking: I promise I'm paying attention with at least half my brain  >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

purplemuse

• Super Hero!
  • This is going to be super special awesome!
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
Thanks for all the snake talk, everybody-- now I've got bug and worm ads on this page.

magicdomino

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2008, 10:58:41 AM »
Thanks for all the snake talk, everybody-- now I've got bug and worm ads on this page.

Giant Snakes New Pics      :)

Another contentious subject that has been covered:  "Cats  --  Should they be allowed outside?"

I think we have done the "Dogs -- Okay to leave Outdoors all of the time?"  subject too, although it may have been part of another thread.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2008, 01:06:33 AM »
Please....please....please...no more rants, vents, etc. The Dame herself made the rule, they always end in drama and people invariably get their feelings hurt.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2008, 12:35:05 AM »
Please don't post links to sensational crime stories.  (This is in the rules.)

Ehelldame has said in earlier versions of this forum that criminal acts are not about etiquette.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC