Etiquette School is in session! > "Why would I want to do that?"

Why would he want to do that?

(1/3) > >>

RubySlippers:
We came into a little bit of money last year.  Enough that my husband was able to quit his job that he hated and just work when he wants to.  He does consulting work and is working on our house doing renovations etc. and is my proud house-husband.  We really really like this arrangement.
I have not shared all these details with people I work with.  Although, when asked, I tell them that DH is working from home. 
The other day we were discussing bathroom tiles and renos etc. when one lady said her son was having trouble with the tiling.  Then she turns to me and says "Maybe MrYoungie would do the job for them."
With a purely beatific look I answered "Why would he want to do that?"
She asked "Is he working yet?"
I replied "He works as much as he likes." then changed the subject.
I can't recall if bean dip was involved.  >:D

caranfin:
Since this will invariably come up again, you might consider telling people "What a coincidence! DH was just talking about going into business as a handyman. Would you like him to give you an estimate on how much it would cost?"

RubySlippers:

--- Quote from: caranfin on June 11, 2008, 09:24:22 AM ---Since this will invariably come up again, you might consider telling people "What a coincidence! DH was just talking about going into business as a handyman. Would you like him to give you an estimate on how much it would cost?"

--- End quote ---
I don't want to do that, because she seemed to think she was being charitable to "poor MrsYoungie" by offering a job.  It isn't a question of doing the work for free or for pay - he is semi-retired and if he does any work it is for us.
This particular woman has trouble understanding anyone who doesn't live exactly as she does.  Usually I just ignore her, but this time she was in my face about it.  I think it is killing her that she doesn't know how we are managing.  (bwahaha) It is not beyond her to come out and ask me; it is not beyond me to side-step her questions.  I've been practicing with the "interesting assumption" line because I'm sure I'll need it eventually.

caranfin:

--- Quote from: MrsYoungie on June 11, 2008, 09:46:56 AM ---
--- Quote from: caranfin on June 11, 2008, 09:24:22 AM ---Since this will invariably come up again, you might consider telling people "What a coincidence! DH was just talking about going into business as a handyman. Would you like him to give you an estimate on how much it would cost?"

--- End quote ---
I don't want to do that, because she seemed to think she was being charitable to "poor MrsYoungie" by offering a job.  It isn't a question of doing the work for free or for pay - he is semi-retired and if he does any work it is for us.

--- End quote ---

Oh, okay. I thought she was looking for some free labor, and would immediately back off if you suggested she'd have to pay. Never mind.  :)

Calypso:
Would it be too nasty for me to suggest a "rich person" reply, like "unfortunately, managing our estate takes all of his time" ?  ;) (frankly, I think "managing my estate" includes everything from pulling weeds to doing laundry to taking the car in to be fixed...but it sounds rather grand, don't you think?  8) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version