Author Topic: Please help solve an argument  (Read 5794 times)

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
Re: Please help solve an argument
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 12:02:02 PM »
Oh, wow.  Cake and ice cream for an adult birthday party?  That's, uh, interesting.

I always have cake and ice cream for my birthday...or even better, ice cream cake.  What's wrong with it?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 12:04:53 PM »
Oh, wow.  Cake and ice cream for an adult birthday party?  That's, uh, interesting.

I always have cake and ice cream for my birthday...or even better, ice cream cake.  What's wrong with it?

I was wondering that, too.  At what age are we required to stop having cake for our birthdays?  I'm not there yet (thank goodness).  I hope I never do get that old, because Mom's homemade cake is one of the traditions that really makes my birthday special for me.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 01:25:47 PM »
Cake and ice cream is one of my most favorite treats, and I will never stop eating it, no matter how old I get! And if I ever have a birthday party, that is going to be a mandatory requirement. I didn't know there was ever age limits on certain kinds of foods.  ::)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 08:11:16 AM »

Nothing at all wrong with cake and ice cream for a birthday.  But just cake and ice cream during the dinner hour for an adult's birthday?  That is weird to me.

Better to do nothing at all, IMO.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2007, 03:56:39 PM »
I'd say that if she moves it back "about an hour" so that people have a chance to eat FIRST then a dessert only party is okay.  But the party should start no earlier than 7 pm for desserts only...........my opinion being worth the hot air that comes out of my mouth when I talk.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MsEva

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 04:49:07 PM »
Am I the only one here that thought "Hmmm, cake and ice cream for dinner?? Yummy!"  ;D

kiero

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
I think that 6:30 is after the dinner hour.  Around here things like kids soccer games start at 6:30 - so for many people with kids this age they are used to having eaten and being somewhere by then.  I remember things like soccer, choir, and various other activities all started at around 6:30. 

So although many adults aren't set up to be somwhere after having supper by 6:30 - people with kids are.  I would guess that the hostess has become so used to her schedual with kids that she has forgotten what it was like before. 

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 09:39:19 PM »
Am I the only one here that thought "Hmmm, cake and ice cream for dinner?? Yummy!"  ;D

Not at all my dear not at all

Jaywalker

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 12:37:42 AM »
6:30 is when most people get home for work -- or at least most people in my circles -- if the adults in this guest list have early shifts and typically eat dinner at 5 or so, then it might work -- but I think it is rude to have a party during the typical lunch or dinner time frames  without serving something meal like

RoseRose

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 04:33:33 PM »
I think that 6:30 is after the dinner hour.  Around here things like kids soccer games start at 6:30 - so for many people with kids this age they are used to having eaten and being somewhere by then.  I remember things like soccer, choir, and various other activities all started at around 6:30. 

So although many adults aren't set up to be somwhere after having supper by 6:30 - people with kids are.  I would guess that the hostess has become so used to her schedual with kids that she has forgotten what it was like before. 

I think that may be regional.  Here, games are on the weekends, and practices are after school.  6-6:30 is when dinner starts a lot of the time around here.  Sometimes earlier, but I can't remember regularly being done by 6:15...  Or maybe it was just my family, but still, I think before 7, you're going to run into a time when a lot of people still need to eat dinner.  Even at 7, you may be running into people's customary dinner hours, though they can possibly eat earlier than normal.

jay

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2007, 01:04:43 AM »
You didn't mention the beverages to be served.  If they are serving hard liquor then it is perfectly acceptable.

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2007, 08:22:45 AM »
6:30 is a weird time for a no-dinner birthday party without throwing in the fact that it's being held at that time on a week-day.    Minimally, something like this shouldn't be scheduled until 7:00, past most people's the dinner hour.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 04:10:35 PM »
Bad Hostess...even if she didn't think she had time to prepare much she could order Pizza or something. 

About the only time you don't serve a meal is if you have like a 2:00 party.

sandy

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 11:07:17 PM »
i wouldnt call that bad hosting...if it were 5:30, that would be not good planning, but 630 is late enough that folks can have an earlier dinner at 5 or 530 or whatnot..

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2007, 06:46:25 AM »
i wouldnt call that bad hosting...if it were 5:30, that would be not good planning, but 630 is late enough that folks can have an earlier dinner at 5 or 530 or whatnot..

On a weekend, maybe, but on a weekday when people don't get off from work until after five, and then have to pick up the kids from daycare, get home, maybe freshen up and get to the party...

I'd have trouble making it to a party at 6:30 on a work day, let alone eating beforehand.