Author Topic: I used it...and used it....and used it! (very long)  (Read 37156 times)

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
Re: I used it...and used it....and used it! (very long)
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2008, 12:15:50 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I believe that at some point John may have made a positive comment about Felicia to Lisa and she had some sort of extreme reaction.  And now, John is taking great pains not to be "punished" like that again.
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

J.D.

• Ice Cube Terrorist
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2008, 06:29:08 PM »
OP - I'm sorry you have to put up with this . . .person.  I cant really say "man", because we all know that any male who is a real man wouldn't act like this.  Were I in your shoes, I'd drop these two like hot potatoes, but I also know that that's often easier said than done.

My all-purpose answer for when someone gives me an insult:

"Oh my.  You're right, I am a terrible person.  I'm going to call my mother and tell her that she did a terrible job raising me."  This works best if it's deadpan and monotone.

However, I do like bopper's answer too: "Good thing you married Lisa then."  I'm guessing it would also work well if it was deadpan.

And OP, I may have missed this, but how did your DH respond when you told him about this?  If you two have no other choice but to hang out with this couple, maybe you can join forces to put them in their place - present a united front.

Metal Seagull

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2008, 02:08:04 AM »
Another response in the bless your heart style is, "Oh, John, you will say whatever pops into your head, won't you?"

Personally I would tend to go the in-joke route.  Find an ally among the ladies to giggle with you at each of his jabs.  Kind of like a drinking game.  Or alternately, a subtly obvious sign to your husband when he returns to the "scene of the crime".  Like waggling 3 fingers at him if John gets off three rude remarks.  The two of you can then laugh quietly at how pathetic John is. 

I don't think his ego will take being laughed at.  He wants to hurt you, not amuse you. 

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:28 AM »
I'm sure others have said it, but I'm not sure John is the one with self-esteem issues, but rather his wife.

His wife probably loves that he puts OP down and she just sits back and listens to what she herself can not say.

I'd approach it with a simple, "that was mean" each time he does it. In fact interrupt sentences as things add up. Then look at the wife and say, "I'm sorry your husband is such an inconsiderate lout, I really thought you could have done better."

I bet she'll make him stop it, because now it just reflects poorly on her.

punkyrubberducky4

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2008, 01:11:08 AM »
This beast (oops, I mean guy  >:D) reminds me of my FIL...well, kind of.  I'll be talking to BIL and SIL about something I'm making, or SIL will be telling me about one of her projects, and FIL will say something out of the blue like..."Well, Lisa (her name, how coincidental...) can do X," totally off-topic.  I just kind of pretend I didn't hear him, and he usually doesn't repeat it.  I know he's saying it because he feels slightly insecure and slightly regretful that he married her.  Long story short, she's the meanest woman I've ever met, and doesn't treat SIL very well, and he's aware, but she has his man parts in a vice and he's too comfortable to divorce her.  So he's stuck.

Anyway, I combined a few suggestions for you:  "Ho ho ho, DH, did you hear what dear ol' JOHN just said?  He's SOOOOO funny!  Tee hee!" *tally mark* "Hey John, that's 30 times you've insulted me today!  You owe me a drink!"  *giggle with other friend or DH*

That would mortify him, especially if you said it loud enough that everyone heard that you were keeping track.  Or told them beforehand.   >:D

Lynda_34

« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
well morbid curiosity strikes.  When is the next meeting?

Chicki

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2008, 03:40:31 PM »
Yeah!!  We are in desperate need of an update here...LOL   ;D

reddevil

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »
I found this thread late, and read it and am now dying for an update too...

and I have an interesting take on a "reply" to this idiot...do you know about meeting bingo?  You take an empty bingo sheet and fill in "meeting phrases" like outside the box, strategize, teamwork...and when someone says them, you "x" them off.  When you get your row, you yell Bingo.

Do it with John.  Make a bingo card.  Hair, clothes, weight, intelligence.  Play.  It will really entertain the heck out of you (I did it with my mean uncle Tom.  I was actually anticipating what he would say next, so I could get a bingo.)

Just my 2 cents.  And they are kinda rude 2 cents, but you don't have to show anyone the bingo card.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »
John:  I don't find women as small as you attractive at all.

You:  Well what a coincidence!  I feel the same about men like you.

Let him wonder just what that means.  *evil grin*  Seriously, what does he care about your "attractiveness" to him?  And why would he imagine that making such a comment could suddenly "inspire" you to take more care with your appearance to specifically please him, the next time you meet?  The man is obviously a Donkey in a human suit.  He HAS a wife.  Thank God, she isn't you!

Alternate Response: (Or additional, as you see fit.)  "I'm sorry.  You seem to be under the impression that I care what you think.  Let me clear that up for you:  I don't.  So zip it!"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:54:42 AM by MineralDiva »

Felica

« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »
I don't have an update for you folks since Dh and I were unable to attend our last meeting. I wonder if he found someone else to pick on in my place... ;)

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2008, 04:18:26 PM »
Better watch out because next time he sees you he is going to push you off the swing and steal your Holly Hobby pencil case and tell you just how You have cooties and Lisd doesn't.

In other words, he has a problem with you or your husband and is behaving like a child.

Don't do what I did in a similar situation, bucause it was rude and I was intoxicated and there is no excuse.  Mike would always tell everyone who would listen how he was so smart, smarter than anyone else and he knew everything about everything...he would actually say "I know everything there is to know about flying a plane".  One night, I had enough of him and too much to drink, so everytime he started talking about how he "Knew everything about..."  I loudly proclaimed "REALLY...ME TOO!!!".  Happened about 8 or 9 times before he stopped saying how he knew everything.  It was funny at the time, but it was rude and I regret it now.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2008, 05:05:20 PM »
I don't have an update for you folks since Dh and I were unable to attend our last meeting. I wonder if he found someone else to pick on in my place... ;)
Are there any other gorgeous, intelligent, talented blondes with hot bods and (most importantly) stunningly beautiful manners in your group? :D

(I will totally pay you to bless his heart next month. ;) )

Kate

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »
<<<<John-I don't find women as small as you attractive at all. <<<<

My response to THAT would be "that is very reassuring'!!

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »

OOooohhh!  I like that one too!  Nice!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »

Evil VorFemme said "and I don't find men as small as you attractive at all"..............I couldn't tell if she was trying to look at his brain or somewhere lower - perhaps his wallet............?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?