Author Topic: Could have-Should have...  (Read 5934 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

Could have-Should have...
« on: June 23, 2008, 07:26:12 PM »
I could have used this line at work. I was sitting with a co-worker today, and she was looking at a magazine. She say those 2 should just get married. I said what 2. Brad and Angelina, she says. I said why should they?

Well because when you aren't married, it's much easier to walk away, than if you are married.

I was too shocked to say anything, she's divorced, so obviously, being married didn't stop her (or her ex) from walking away.

Felica

Re: Could have-Should have...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »
Obviously off topic here for a moment but I'm reading everywhere that they are adopting again. A boy from Africa. I also read somewhere that she said she wanted to be pregnant at least once more as well. Good gosh, isn't it time to stop?

Back on topic-kind of a hypocritical thing to say, considering.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 09:32:08 PM »
Good gosh, isn't it time to stop?

Why? It's not like they can't afford to look after more.

If I had that kind of money, I would also probably prefer to adopt a child than donate to a charity - the percentage of the donation that actually gets to the right people can be very low.

Felica

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 09:36:30 PM »
Because children need quality time with parents and I can't see how they are able to give enough time to that many children...not with both of them working, anyway. I guess if one of them chose to retire from show business then maybe it might work out. I think adoption is a wonderful thing but having kids is more than just adopting them or birthing them and then passing them off to nannies. Right now it looks like they manage to spend time with all the kids but how many more can she add and keep that?

And adopting a child is NOWHERE near the same as donating to charity. You have a lifelong, every day, every hour commitment to a childs physical, mental and emotional well being. You don't get to throw money at them occasionally and forget them like you do a charity. At least, not if you're a GOOD parent.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 11:05:27 PM »
And adopting a child is NOWHERE near the same as donating to charity. You have a lifelong, every day, every hour commitment to a childs physical, mental and emotional well being. You don't get to throw money at them occasionally and forget them like you do a charity. At least, not if you're a GOOD parent.

That's why, if I could afford it, I would adopt. Because it's difficult.

katycoo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 12:23:29 AM »
Because children need quality time with parents and I can't see how they are able to give enough time to that many children...not with both of them working, anyway. I guess if one of them chose to retire from show business then maybe it might work out. I think adoption is a wonderful thing but having kids is more than just adopting them or birthing them and then passing them off to nannies. Right now it looks like they manage to spend time with all the kids but how many more can she add and keep that?

What an interesting assumption.

Felica

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:44:36 AM »
 ??? Which part? That children need quality time? That making movies of the quality and quantity Jolie and Pitt make take strenous hours and more travel than most of us could dream of? That it might not be possible for both parents to work like that and be parents? That raising chidlren is more just passing kids off to nannies? Or that  it looks like they manage alright right now, from what I read?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 12:50:34 AM by Felica »

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 06:11:29 AM »
theyre lucky enough  tho  that they can work for a month and then not have to work for a few years (money wise)

i never liked angelina jolie before she adopted her children.  but now i think shes great. love the way she interacts with her kids

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 08:36:15 AM »
Well, look at Mia Farrow. She had 15 kids, 11 of them adopted (one has died), and from everything I've read, it seemed that she was able to give every child the love and attention they needed.

My father was one of 11 children, my mother was one of 9. They were all loved and cherished by their parents.

I don't see how the number of children has anything to do with whether or not they can give the kids love and attention.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Felica

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:07:41 AM »
I just see a big difference in a large family with parents with jobs who get to come home every night to them and one who has to work away from them for months on end. And I've never heard of a movie being shot in one month. Although I know little about shooting movies, so I guess I could be wrong. ANd don't forget she travels frequently as the Goodwill ambassador.

Listen, I'm not saying she's not awesome. I'm not saying she's not actually accomplishing being a good parent. I just wonder how many more kids she can add and still be a good parent, is all.

AprilRenee

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 09:11:58 AM »
From what I understand, they do not use a nanny. I believe she said that they use a sitter sometimes during the day, but not over night. And I also believe that they said only one of them does a movie at any given time, now, so that one parent is always home. I think that they take them traveling with them most of the time too.

I think only THEY can be the judge of when enough children are enough. As long as they are being parents and can afford it it is their choice

Calbrini

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:18 AM »
I don't think they would have to worry about dong housework/laundry etc either!

Felica

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 09:46:32 AM »
I wasn't judging, I was *wondering*....I quote "Right now it looks like they manage to spend time with all the kids but how many more can she add and keep that?" from my first post. Also "I just wonder how many more kids she can add and still be a good parent, is all" from my third post. Note the words "I wonder" please. And the question marks.

Wondering, not judging. I think they are doing great too. I just WONDER how many is too many. That's all, folks.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:50:05 AM by Felica »

Maggie

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »
I wasn't judging, I was *wondering*....I quote "Right now it looks like they manage to spend time with all the kids but how many more can she add and keep that?" from my first post. Also "I just wonder how many more kids she can add and still be a good parent, is all" from my third post. Note the words "I wonder" please. And the question marks.

Wondering, not judging. I think they are doing great too. I just WONDER how many is too many. That's all, folks.

ITA with you.  She is having twins and already adopting another one.  There are only so many hours in the day.  It has also been reported that Shiloh (their own natural child) goes with them very seldom.  However the adopted kids are always around. 

mbt

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 12:00:40 AM »
I can't remember where I read this but somebody once made an observation that there's actually some sort of addiction to international adoption, something about the thrill of the process and they thought Angelina was sort of headed down that path...I tend to agree.  Good Lord, woman, you're having twins, why don't you wait until the four kids you already have have adjusted to the twins before adopting another kid??  And frankly, if they're going to adopt again, why can't they adopt in this country?  It's not like there are no children to be adopted...they have more than enough money to make the process work for them... ::)