Author Topic: What makes a good/bad hostess?  (Read 3391 times)

BettyP

Re: What makes a good/bad hostess?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 01:24:36 PM »
We do a lot of traveling with Wee Child and some of the things that have made my day have been:

A small basket of age appropriate toys -- it doesn't have to cost a lot. Just a few small somethings

A basket of baby friendly toiletries, including wipes, diapers, powder, etc.

I like to leave a small tray with cookies (usually a tin with some I've baked), bottled water, and usually one, eat regional food. Here in the South, I leave some of our wonderful candies.

Do find out ahead of time if any one has health concerns, special dietary needs, etc. Also, find out if there's something specific they want to do.

And, like everyone has said, relax and enjoy yourself. Plan ahead and give yourself plenty of chances to relax and not stress out.

AnnaB

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 03:35:55 PM »
One thing I like as a hostess and a guest is to do as much work behind the scenes as possible.

When the guests arrive, their bedroom should be made up with fresh sheets, some towels and maybe flowers. The next meal should be planned and ready to go. (I always like to go with something non time constraining as travelling can lead to erratic schedules- ie soup and hearty sandwich fixings).

When the guest arrive, the most important thing is to let them know you are happy to see them and make them comfortable without fussing.  Help them empty the car, correl the kids. Show them the room, offer drinks and have a seat.

Fussing before people arrive is nice. Fussing afterwards always makes me feel like I was a bother (I feel the same way about dinner parties). For the first meal, I think full hosting is the way to go (dishes, clean-up etc). If people are staying a few days, I think helping with chores is nice.

Don't start showing them the coffee pot/washing machine etc.. for tommorrow 2 minutes after they get in the door. That can wait.

I vist a lot of people in my extended family and the best visits are ones where I feel I am adding to their life with my company and we are doing things the hosts enjoy. I don't like being fussed over to point that I feel I am disrupting my hosts lives (and not getting a moments peace) and I don't like being totally abandoned (though I can't actually think of that happening)

Jaywalker

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 11:19:58 PM »
I am not sure much baby proofing with a 5 month old but a highchair baby bed etc would be great if you can borrow them for the visit --

bottled water -- big bottles -- international travelers tend to want to avoid tap water even when it is perfectly safe -- and if she is nursing the baby, she will be drinking a lot

clear guidelines about expectations (like times to keep bathroom clear or whatever) and clear instructions about available things they can use

the more privacy that can be offered the better

take them to special local pubs, or restaurants, or parks -- or other special things a tourist usually wouldn't stumble on