Author Topic: Can you tell me her name?  (Read 4209 times)

newf

Can you tell me her name?
« on: June 26, 2008, 10:29:40 PM »
Today, My doorbell rang and there was this really sweet college girl there selling books.  Fine.  I told her my kids were grown and gone.  She wondered if there was anyone else on the street who might have school age kids who she could speak with. I pointed out a few houses and she said "can you tell me the name of the mom?".  Hmmm.  At first, I said "I'm not sure, I just know she has young children over there".  Then she pushed and wanted to know more houses and more mom's names....Finally I said "that won't be possible" because I HATE it when people call my house and ask me by my name and I don't even know who they are.  I told her it was better to just introduce herself as a college student and take it from there.....however, in the 90 degree weather here, I did feel some ice....comments??

AprilRenee

Re: Can you tell me her name?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »
I think you should have just told her that it wouldn't be possible from the beginning. I know I get irked when neighbors send solicitors over to talk to me.

newf

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:44:22 PM »
Yeah, you are so right, April.....I was trying to be 'nice'...duh...it backfired. 

AprilRenee

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:48:15 PM »
Yeah, you are so right, April.....I was trying to be 'nice'...duh...it backfired. 
I do the same thing. I can say what I think on here all the time. Implementing it  is another matter :P

Although, I don't give solicitors a chance to even tell me what they are selling anymore

hjaye

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17:51 AM »
I had someone selling Rainbow vacuum cleaners a few years ago.  It just so happened my grandson had been sick and thrown up on my carpet about thirty minutes before they came to the door.  I told them they could come in show my their product and shampoo where my grandson had thrown up.  I also told them right from the start I had absolutely no intention of buying their product (and I didn't)

I found out later they were going to other houses on my street and telling the people there that I had sent them.  I was very unhappy about that, I would never do that.

gibsongirl

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 09:47:20 AM »
We have these "college kid" solicitors here too, and one of them was the most fun I've ever had with an uninvited knock on the door.

I had just bathed, and was wearing an extra long tank top that covered all that needed to be covered.  I have to say in all honesty that I looked pretty hot.

He said that he was selling for a trip to Cancun and would I please go with him!

Of course I didn't and of course I didn't buy the magazines, but that sure made my day...

As to directing people to my house, yeah, I'd be a bit annoyed, but it's not a hanging offense IMO.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 11:19:46 AM »
I had a similar thing, but on the phone. A woman called asking for the maid, Rachel (who used to look after my mom and now looks after myself, my bro and SIL!). I thought this was a bit unusual, but it could always be a friend of Rachel's who hadn't contacted her for a while and didn't have her cell number. So I said I would see if Rachel was home.

Go to her apartment, she isn't. So I tell the woman, "I'm sorry, but Rachel isn't here at the moment." The woman says, "What's your name?" I said, "You'll have to tell me what you want before I give my name." She says, "I need to speak to Rachel." I said, "She isn't here." THIS WOMAN KEPT ASKING FOR MY NAME, AND I KEPT SAYING I WOULD NOT GIVE IT UNTIL SHE STATED HER BUSINESS. Finally she said, "How are you related to Rachel?" (Related? Our ancestors came from completely different continents!) I put the phone down at that point.

The phone rings two minutes later. Bro answers. "We already told you Rachel is not here, do not call again." And he puts the phone down.

Thinking back, it was probably a debt collector or someone wanting to know about a store card Rachel has. Which is fine, but no way am I giving them MY name! AFAIK the woman did not call back. I admit that I thought at first she might she a friend of Rachel's because of her accent - she sounded like the same ethnic group. But when she started asking if I was related to her... obviously, she didn't know Rachel from a bar of soap. And trying to get MY name? Just weird.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)