Author Topic: Cleaning the Washing Machine?  (Read 8246 times)

ImperfctMe

Cleaning the Washing Machine?
« on: December 11, 2006, 01:44:14 PM »
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this goes here or in another thread, but I know, I just KNOW someone out there in eHell land knows the answer to this question:

How do I clean my washing machine?

It looks like it has ring around the bathtub on the inside. Do I scrub it with soft scrub? Run a cycle with vinegar in it? Ignore it? Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
Re: Cleaning the Washing Machine?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:57:33 PM »
Is it a porcelain or plastic tub?  I have heard vinegar does wonders but I have not had the problem myself that I have noticed and I think our washer and dryer are about 20 years old.

I will be interested in hearing other answers.  OH and if it is a porcelain tub be careful not to scratch or chip it, then it can rust :(.

fklwmn

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 03:01:33 PM »
oh oh oh!! I have a question too!!!

My washing machine has the agitator in the middle, and at the top of that is the fabrid softener dispenser. Somehow this dispenser has gotten clogged so it no longer drains properly during the wash. It seems like it's clogged with fabric softener residue and lint of various types. I cn clean the outside of the dispenser but not the inside, or wherever it is clogged, and hven't been able to figure out how to take it off to clean it.

I DID fill it wil vinegar during a couple of wash cycles, which helped slightly, but it's still pretty gummed up and unuseable. Any advice? I have never heard of this happening before!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 05:13:08 PM »
Two white cotton towels, bleach, and hot water - run a second rinse if your machine will let you, to get rid of all possible bleach.  The towels "scrub" the sides of the tub. Running a hot wash without soap once in a while will also help get rid of any soap or fabric softener buildup in the various dispensors. 

Once in a while would be defined as when you SEE slimy or powdery buildup in the various dispensors..........most fabric softener cups can be removed and washed out in the sink - if that is easier (I don't know how close your washer is to a sink).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 05:18:45 PM »
oh oh oh!! I have a question too!!!

My washing machine has the agitator in the middle, and at the top of that is the fabrid softener dispenser. Somehow this dispenser has gotten clogged so it no longer drains properly during the wash. It seems like it's clogged with fabric softener residue and lint of various types. I cn clean the outside of the dispenser but not the inside, or wherever it is clogged, and hven't been able to figure out how to take it off to clean it.

Most (not all) of the fabric softener dispensers that I have seen (washing clothes for over 35 years now) will come up if twisted slightly (about 1/4 turn at the most) so that you can pull them out and rinse & scrub in hot water under the sink.

If that doesn't work - a washcloth, hot water, or a bottle scrubber will allow you to reach inside and agitate the hot water & slimy stuff to break it up.  Running a hot water wash ONLY (no rinse needed) once a month or six weeks will usually keep the crud from building up again.

I do not do this with the washer if I have to pay at a laundromat - but I do it at home or when at our time share.......where the fabric softener has been placed in the bleach dispenser or the laundry soap powder has been placed in the center fabric softener dispenser.  There are international visitors who don't speak or read English or Spanish (the machines have at least English instructions inside the lid - some machines have Spanish). 

The machines are "free" - and I'd rather run a load of hot water before putting my clothes in the machines when there is visible "clogging" going on.............
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

fklwmn

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:18:24 AM »
ooohhh... thank you! I will try that when I get home tonight - before I do my laundry!  :)

ImperfctMe

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:14:32 AM »
Thanks VorFemme - giving it a shot now, will let you know how it comes out!

CynthiaBelle

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 02:39:18 PM »
I had heard that vinegar and two towels and running it for one cycle, then running it for a regular cycle with nothing in it, will clean it out.

Good Luck. Tell us what you use!!

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »
I don't have a built in dispenser, but I have a Downy ball

http://spraytugsmooth.com/en_US/products/downyball.jsp

It works great!

fklwmn

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 08:44:31 AM »
I don't have a built in dispenser, but I have a Downy ball

http://spraytugsmooth.com/en_US/products/downyball.jsp

It works great!

*sigh*

I lost my downy ball b/c I have the dispenser. So now that the dispenser is broken, I have to listen for the break between the wash and rinse cycles and add the softener myself.

ImperfctMe

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 09:59:56 PM »
I tried the bleach and 1 towel plus some socks and ran it very hot. Totally worked, thank you!