Author Topic: Bad dinner party topics of discussion!  (Read 8463 times)

kettiecat

Re: Bad dinner party topics of discussion!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 03:22:46 AM »
I tend to lean towards people being over sensitive about what topics are ok to talk about.

But one should never gossip/ put down someone. Thats just poor taste.

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 03:35:34 AM »
1. Why eating meat is superior to vegetarionism...when at a vegan meal
2. What your toe looked like after you dropped a sledge hammer on it.
3. How long it took said toes nail to fall off
4. In depth details of your child's most embarassing moment ever! Especially when said child is now an adult, and present, with coworkers
5. The many downfalls of your In-laws
6. The many downfalls of your Hubby-conversation directed towards you
7. The thing you cleaned out of the back of the fridge, under the sink, back of toilet
8. Anything involving the words 'rectal hemmoraghing
9. How you and your spouse overcame that nasty infidelity incedent.

(yes, I have been present for all of these, some were directed to/at/about me, some I was just an idle spectator, trying to keep my jaw from falling off)

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 10:07:53 AM »
Your perceptions that certain demographics groups are ruining this country.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 10:18:11 AM »
Specifics about violent crimes committed in your area

In South Africa, that is a mandatory discussion at ANY function: dinner party, lunch date, while getting a massage, in the doctor's office, waiting in the queue at the supermarket...

Friday was Pink Shirt Day here. People were asked to wear a pink shirt for a little girl who was kidnapped and murdered, just another symbol of the violent crime in this country. I didn't have a pink shirt. But if I did, I would have worn one.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 10:28:36 AM »
Complaining about in-laws (especially if they happen to be sitting at the table with you)

Chartreuse

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 11:06:04 AM »
Graphic descriptions of critters your pet has killed and brought in as a gift to you.
Tact: The ability to tell some one to go to hell in such a way that he looks forward to the trip.

cocacola35

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2007, 11:52:46 AM »
Making general unpleasent comments about food that is being eaten.  For example discussing how high the mercury levels in fish have gotten over the years and all the potential dangers of injesting it- and everyone or a few people are eating a seafood dish.

Discussing your latest rodent/roach problem in your home- bonus points if the person discussing the these matters is the host!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »
Describing unique attrubutes of the roach, then getting upset at me when I point out "You are talking about roaches"

kathrynne

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2007, 01:40:28 PM »
Graphic descriptions of critters your pet has killed and brought in as a gift to you.
You just reminded me of the infamous "pigeon incident." This was during the starving student days in college, back around '82. It was one of the first really nice days of spring, so I'd left the door open so my two kitties could come and go at will for the day. That way I didn't have to go open the door every five or ten minutes as a kitty changed its mind about which side of the door was preferred at that particular second. They could play and I could ignore them. Kitties had come in for the last time and I'd shut the door hours earlier.

My roommate and I were finishing dinner when a friend came over, unannounced. Roger (our visitor) was a cat person. I'm a cat person. My roommate at the time was not a cat person (this is the roomie who screamed when the cat asked to sit on her lap in the bathroom).

Roger's sitting at the end of the table, talking as we finish eating, and leaned his chair back on two legs. Then he gets this grin on his face, looks at me and asks, "Did you know you have a dead bird under your chair?" I lean down to look and say, "You're right. I have a dead bird under my chair." Totally deadpan. I'm a cat person, and these things happen.

Roomie had raced to the bathroom and had lost her dinner before I even had a chance to put my fork down, poor thing.

That incident taught me a lot. Cat people and non-cat people really don't live well together. Two determined housecats can bring down a city pigeon if they work together. If you can't monitor your kitties' comings and goings, you'd best search every nook and cranny of the house before preparing dinner. And if you happen to spot a pet's "gift" that your host must have missed it's probably best to say nothing until after dinner or when you can say something quietly for only the person who can handle said "gifts" to hear.

emeraldsage85

• Proud auntie of Owen!
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2007, 07:08:56 PM »
I have an uncle who likes to monopolize the dinner table with strange things that only he's interested in. One Christmas I had to listen to him talk about the history of eating utensils, starting all the way back at the caveman days and going to present day. It was a very looong Christmas dinner.  :-\

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2007, 07:11:29 PM »
I have an uncle who likes to monopolize the dinner table with strange things that only he's interested in. One Christmas I had to listen to him talk about the history of eating utensils, starting all the way back at the caveman days and going to present day. It was a very looong Christmas dinner.  :-\

The former me would have just started eating with my hands until he got to modern day utensils.
The new, etiquettely proper me would smile and nod politley, while eating, and reviewing the lates movie/book/wallpaper in my mind.

Taralala

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2007, 10:43:59 PM »
Irritable Bowel Syndrome. My SO and I used to meet another couple for dinner once a week and the male half of the other couple managed to work his IBS into the conversation every single time.

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 12:56:31 AM »
"Hot Button" issues are another one:  capital punishment, abortion, women's rights, religion, etc.

BurninDinner

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 10:09:31 AM »

I bet I did this.  My cat is really sweet and brought me a robin, inside.  Except it wasn't dead yet and he shattered TWO crystal wine glasses trying to catch it again.  It was a really dramatic story.  I am sure I talked about it while eating sometime...

Also:
The time my BIL cut off his thumb with a table saw.

Christmas dinner was awkward.  My town has been in the news for an incident last spring involving a sports team being accused of assaulting a woman in the area.  The district attorney hasn't handled the case well.  All of my husband's out of state relatives decided to weigh in and give their opinion in offensive and heated terms.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 11:06:55 AM »
Anything that is a sermon, rather than a discussion.