Author Topic: Bad dinner party topics of discussion!  (Read 8849 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Bad dinner party topics of discussion!
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2007, 08:46:29 AM »
Ooooh, my lunchtime conversation the other day would count :-X.

One of my co-workers is going to school part-time to become a geologist. We were discussing his homework, which happened to be a question on pollution in lakes, and it evolved into a discussion on dead bodies on the bottom of lakes.

We had a fine conversation, but the person sitting with us thought we were insane.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2007, 10:59:31 AM »
One of my co-workers is going to school part-time to become a geologist. We were discussing his homework, which happened to be a question on pollution in lakes, and it evolved into a discussion on dead bodies on the bottom of lakes.

My father was the superintendent for the entire sewer maintenance department of the city of Johannesburg and Soweto. You can only imagine the things we thought were normal conversation!

I once told a friend of mine that stuff found in sewers wasn't thrown away, but sterilized and used, and he turned green. We weren't even eating at the time!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2007, 07:47:36 PM »
My father was the superintendent for the entire sewer maintenance department of the city of Johannesburg and Soweto. You can only imagine the things we thought were normal conversation!
Unless I'm with certain people, I prefer not to discuss my work.  I inspect sewage treatment plants.

I once told a friend of mine that stuff found in sewers wasn't thrown away, but sterilized and used, and he turned green.
You were kidding, right?  Or do you folks in South Africa actually sterilize stuff found in the sewers and reuse them.

My cousin is an ICU nurse.  She & I used to get together for meals & talk shop.  It's impossible to gross either of us out.  ;D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

kathrynne

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »
I'm amazed nobody's mentioned it yet, but if you want the classic glassy-eyed stare just get two or more very knowledgeable computer geeks together at a meal--and check out their spouses' expressions when the Geek Speak gets animated. The same goes for multiple "Car Guys" or any other "experts" at a gathering.

I realize the stereotypical asocial geek like DH may not have a whole lot else to talk about, but when he starts specifying server serial numbers, model numbers, software updates and "undocumented features," it's time for someone to swoop in and rescue the spouses before we go catatonic.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2007, 11:36:18 PM »
To build on kathrynne's, excessive shop talk of any kind

Complaints about one's boss
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2007, 08:34:53 AM »
I'm amazed nobody's mentioned it yet, but if you want the classic glassy-eyed stare just get two or more very knowledgeable computer geeks together at a meal--and check out their spouses' expressions when the Geek Speak gets animated. The same goes for multiple "Car Guys" or any other "experts" at a gathering.

I realize the stereotypical asocial geek like DH may not have a whole lot else to talk about, but when he starts specifying server serial numbers, model numbers, software updates and "undocumented features," it's time for someone to swoop in and rescue the spouses before we go catatonic.

Oh, and why the latest patch to fik the newest bug has a bug in it, and the conspiracy theories surrounding why the bugs are present in the first place...been there...done that...went catatonic. My mom and I were pretty sure we were drooling out the corners of our mouths by the time the "geek faction" realized we were not participating in the conversation.

kathrynne

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2007, 09:10:08 AM »
Thank you, KR and HW2k. I was starting to think I was alone in this one and knew it wasn't possible.

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2007, 09:17:03 AM »

Oh, and why the latest patch to fik the newest bug has a bug in it, and the conspiracy theories surrounding why the bugs are present in the first place...been there...done that...went catatonic. My mom and I were pretty sure we were drooling out the corners of our mouths by the time the "geek faction" realized we were not participating in the conversation.

Argh!  I hate this!  A really egregious example happened to me when I went out with 4 other friends.  4, you'd think, would be enough to find someone to have a normal conversation with.

No.

Two people turned to discussing how cocaine was their favorite drug in college.  Uhh, no opinion.  I turned to the other two, only to find a discussion in progress about the categorical imperative and it's influence on nacho cheese, or something like that.  Oooh-K.  Tried to change the topic, but to no avail.  So I sat in the middle, nursing my beer.  Staring out the window.  One of the former coke-heads asked me about my cocaine-based experiences, I said I didn't have anything to say on this topic, could we maybe talk about something else?  "Aha", said the friend, and, turning his back to me, turned back to his conversation.

What a jerk!
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Kena

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
Two people turned to discussing how cocaine was their favorite drug in college.

:PI had that happen to me on a 2nd date with a guy!  Why he would think that that was a good topic for a conversation on a date is beyond me.  I don't think I look like someone who partakes in "recreational pharmaceuticals."

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2007, 06:25:45 PM »
Speech therapy and "tongue thrust" when a third of the guests  had no kids yet and the guest of honor at the going away party had kids in their twenties.............

It was enough to scare me off going to meetings of that organization for about twenty years.  I did have kids at home when I finally dared try again - some 1200 miles away from the original location, as well.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2007, 06:28:18 PM »
You were kidding, right?  Or do you folks in South Africa actually sterilize stuff found in the sewers and reuse them.

++++++++++++++++++++

I think that the meaning is that the "stuff" was turned into useful fertilizer or some such thing..........I haven't seen or heard of many diamond rings flushed into the sewage systems around the USA!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MerryRaven

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2007, 08:25:51 PM »
My DH was a cop and also an EMT.  I was immune to it, but I had to tell him not to tell "war stories" about the latest accident he helped out with at Thanksgiving dinner.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
My SO is a nurse (OR and has worked ER and psych) and I have two boys ages 10 and 11 -- gross conversation is the norm for us!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2007, 06:46:33 AM »
How you/your band is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than current hit actor/band.

How every new movie/song/band/TV series is terrible and desperately needs your unique talent.

* Have you guessed we know a lot of people in the entertainment business? *

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2007, 11:26:03 AM »
I can't believ I didn't remeber this one before now, it does require a bit of set-up...

it is the beginning of the school year. We have a half-day with kids with teachers meeting in the afternoon. The kids leave and a group of us get together to go out to eat. Some of us (me) have been in the building for a long time, some of us have a few years in there, some are brand new.

We share news and family updates. Teacher A relates concern that the house her parents are renting might currently be used as a drug house due to frequent coming and going of various cars all hours of the night and day. Teacher J who (too) freely shares info about her wild life before teaching comments:

"That sounds like my house when ex-hubby and I were selling drugs."

Me: "You sold them from your house?!" (I knew she had been a user but this was new info)

Teacher J: "Yeah we sold what we weren't using. Sometimes we'd get high and when the kids came down in the morning we'd have painted the family room another color."

Me:                                                      (Because really, what can you say?)

Teacher J: "We stopped selling after we accidentally blew up the kitchen."

The new teachers keep looking at me and I realize they are waiting for the punch line, completely sure they are being put on. Sorry, not so much.

Teacher J had to be finger printed before being hired so I guess she never got caught for this stuff. No idea why she shares it with other professionals, especially ones she just met. She's clean now but Ithink her years of hard living have taken a toll on her health and memory.