Author Topic: Food Aversions  (Read 7553 times)

Ember

Re: Food Aversions
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2007, 04:02:11 PM »
No homemade mayonnaise, no runny yolked eggs (or anything with raw eggs in)
No shark or sword fish
No Soft or blue veined cheeses
Rare/raw meats/fish

More to add to the list:

penut butter is also to be avoided
no processed meat (anything that might have nitrates and nitrites I think)

ccnumber4

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2007, 05:28:51 PM »
I will generally ask my guests if there is anything they are allergic to or plain won't / can't eat.  If I already have a menu in mind, I will usually give them an idea of what we are having and let them make the choice from there. 

A friend and I once hosted "Thai Night" and invited a smallish group of friends.  We were very clear that the focus of the meal was on Thai cuisine.  Even so, one friend spent the ENTIRE dinner suspiciously eyeing his food and making comments like "I'm really a hamburger / hotdog type guy" and "I prefer simple food."  He is still a good friend, but has not been invited for dinner since. 

twinkletoes

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2007, 10:19:49 AM »
I will generally ask my guests if there is anything they are allergic to or plain won't / can't eat.  If I already have a menu in mind, I will usually give them an idea of what we are having and let them make the choice from there. 

A friend and I once hosted "Thai Night" and invited a smallish group of friends.  We were very clear that the focus of the meal was on Thai cuisine.  Even so, one friend spent the ENTIRE dinner suspiciously eyeing his food and making comments like "I'm really a hamburger / hotdog type guy" and "I prefer simple food."  He is still a good friend, but has not been invited for dinner since. 

Ack!  I want to scream after reading your post - you must have felt unnerved!

Ondine

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2007, 11:59:32 PM »
I usually ask my guests beforehand if there is anything they cannot eat, and I usually try to accomodate their needs. I had a party recently where I had two diabetics, a vegetarian, someone who is pregnant, and myself with IBS, and I was able to accomodate everyone. I made stuffed crust pizza (one without meat), and I had chips, and tons of diet pop, some sugar free candy, and of course, beer. Everyone loved the party, and I was happy that I was able to accomodate everyone's needs.