Author Topic: You're living in a fairy world...  (Read 11722 times)

mbt

Re: You're living in a fairy world...
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 05:47:59 PM »
I agree, there really is no such thing as happily ever after, life takes work, relationships take work, that doesn't mean one has to thrust it down a total stranger's throat.  People do what they have to to live their lives, doesn't make them right or wrong, at least they've got goals and they're working towards them.

FunkyMunky

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 12:43:58 AM »
I think it's funny that people assume that fairy tales = happily ever after.  If they actually read some of the tales in their original form, they might have a slightly different perspective.   ;D

The Little Mermaid was much more tragic before the addition of the singing crab.

Actually, pretty much every Disney story has a more tragic origin.

sisbam

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »
I think it's funny that people assume that fairy tales = happily ever after.  If they actually read some of the tales in their original form, they might have a slightly different perspective.   ;D

The Little Mermaid was much more tragic before the addition of the singing crab.

For interesting reading, try Gregory McGuire, the author of Wicked. He takes fairy tales and revamps them and tells them from different perspectives. I really liked Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »

For interesting reading, try Gregory McGuire, the author of Wicked. He takes fairy tales and revamps them and tells them from different perspectives. I really liked Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

That's a bit more modern--no need to jump that far ahead.  People just need to go backwards to the fairy tale's origins before they were cleaned up.  If you try the Grim's Grimmest, you'll get a good idea of what fairy tales were really like...including decapitations, eating children, hangings...all kinds of fun little details.

Of course, even the Grimm brothers made changes--changing mothers to step-mothers to "preserve the sanctity of motherhood".  Many of those evil stepmother stories, were originally about mothers.  Charles Perrault is possibly the most famous "cleaner-upper" of fairy tales.  His version of Cinderella is the one most closely linked to the Disney story

Fairy tales for the most part are pretty ghastly.  And depending on which country of origin, incredibly violent.  I believe the Italian version of sleeping beauty involves rape...

If you know the history and the origins of fairy tales, you wouldn't be too happy to live in one ;-)
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

sisbam

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 03:15:08 PM »

That's a bit more modern--no need to jump that far ahead.  People just need to go backwards to the fairy tale's origins before they were cleaned up.  If you try the Grim's Grimmest, you'll get a good idea of what fairy tales were really like...including decapitations, eating children, hangings...all kinds of fun little details.

Of course, even the Grimm brothers made changes--changing mothers to step-mothers to "preserve the sanctity of motherhood".  Many of those evil stepmother stories, were originally about mothers.  Charles Perrault is possibly the most famous "cleaner-upper" of fairy tales.  His version of Cinderella is the one most closely linked to the Disney story

Fairy tales for the most part are pretty ghastly.  And depending on which country of origin, incredibly violent.  I believe the Italian version of sleeping beauty involves rape...

If you know the history and the origins of fairy tales, you wouldn't be too happy to live in one ;-)

I know; I just really like modern adaptations. Another fun adaptation is a set of short stories called Black Swan, White Raven.

The Bros Grimm, sheesh... talk about things not working out...

ClaireC79

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »

I didn't realise it was particular to the Italian version, she wakes up when the baby(ies) are born in one that I remember

Red1979

• Super Hero!
  • it's only a paper moon...
    • Subscription Therapy
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »

I didn't realise it was particular to the Italian version, she wakes up when the baby(ies) are born in one that I remember

I think that one is called "Sun, Moon and Talia" it is from an Italian fairy-tale book by Giambattista Basile from the beginning of the seventeenth century.  It's amazing how many of these stories are so incredibly similar across different cultures and time periods.

(My critical thesis for my writing degree focused heavily on fairy tales, so i have a wealth of obscure knowledge on the subject ;-)
--Red
"Pause you who read this and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, which would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day."

www.subscriptiontherapy.com - "I used to have issues -  now I have subscriptions"

FunkyMunky

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 01:13:00 AM »

Oscar Wilde's fairy tales were awesome. Nowhere near happy, but for example, The Nightingale and the Rose is beautiful. Tragic, but beautiful.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 01:24:21 AM »

Yupyup!

Prince Charming rapes Beauty while she still asleep... she gets woken up when she has given birth to twins (still asleep) and one sucks her finger, swallowing a shard of spindle.

Then Prince comes back, takes Beauty home (for some unknown reason, some versions say to marry, some don't... he already had a wife anyway.)

Wife or his mother, depending on the version, is an ogre who wants to eat Beauty and her babies.... And I honestly cannot remember how it all ends.

Maybe someone else does.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 01:32:03 AM »
There is a different version of the Little mermaid movie that's closer to the original story.  It's kind of anime style.

As for the comments I think you were fine. 

Do you by any chance have the title of that?

I once had a tape of it.. and it got ate by my recorder.  :'(
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

The Opinionator

• You keep using that word.
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 01:32:43 PM »
*snip*

Yupyup!

Prince Charming rapes Beauty while she still asleep... she gets woken up when she has given birth to twins (still asleep) and one sucks her finger, swallowing a shard of spindle.

Then Prince comes back, takes Beauty home (for some unknown reason, some versions say to marry, some don't... he already had a wife anyway.)

Wife or his mother, depending on the version, is an ogre who wants to eat Beauty and her babies.... And I honestly cannot remember how it all ends.

Maybe someone else does.

The mother/wife sends the children to a house in the forest and orders her cook to serve them.He replaces them with animals(a goat and a lamb, I think) and makes an amazing sauce which fools the queen. Then she asks the cook to cook Sleeping Beauty but he takes her back to the house, where she is reunited with her children. The guy prepares some other animal and serves to the queen but she discovers the trick soon and fills a pit in her yard with snakes. The king returns and discovers this so the queen throws herself in the pit and everybody else lives happily ever after  ;D.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2008, 12:32:59 PM »
I would have said just what the OP would have said, with the same results or worse.  :P

About fairy tales:
Erma Bombeck does a take-off of several fairy tales in her book, Motherhood: The World's Second Oldest Profession. Classic Bombeck!!! Had me stitches!!!!

BethanyAnne

• "It's like teaching Lincoln to use an Iphone."
    • Myspace
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 01:27:14 AM »

The same can be said for nursery rhymes.

Kate

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »
I was taking Greyhound home to visit my family over the 4th. Seated next to me was a woman (A for simplicity), and across from us was another woman (B).

A commented on the number of homeless people she'd seen while in X city and wondered why they couldn't get jobs. I replied the X is in a really bad recession, and that I personally am looking for work, despite having recently graduated college (in May) with a chemistry degree.

A: So, do you plan to have kids?
Me: Yes, as soon as I get a job, husband and house... You know, be stable.
B: You're living in a fairy world.
A: Everybody has that dream. But it doesn't work out.
B: Yeah, I divorced my husband after four years and I've got a child and... (sob story)
A: Oh real? Well, I've got two... (sob story)... And there's this woman at work. She's 35 and still single and waiting for the perfect man and... (more sob story)...
Me: Fair enough...

I then go back to reading my book while they continue their conversation. I'd like to add that I refrained from making any "snarky" comments about failed/lack of birth control...

Anything else I could have done/said? What exactly does "living in a fairy world" mean, anyway?

In their ideal fairy world anyone can do whatever they want with no consequences...no planning or self denial involved.

SoCarl

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2008, 05:46:14 AM »
It's a sad commentary on our society when "being responsible" translates to "living in fantasyland." :-\

That about sums it up!  :-\

I've encountered variations on the same attitude; upon reflection, I came to the conclusion that people think you are living in a "fairy world" because, given their experience and way of living, their minds simply cannot encompass the concepts you are relating to them.  I'm honestly not being facetious or sarcastic.