Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

When threads get locked....

(1/26) > >>

realgonegal1:
Usually it's pretty obvious when a thread gets locked....it was moved, or it degenerated into something non-productive.

But today, there are two that were locked and I don't really understand why.  One seemed like it could go many ways, while another was just a few posts long and pretty mild.

This worries me because I feel like I am a bit on my toes here.  I'm still new compared to some of the regular posters, and I'm a bit afraid of upsetting people.  I have seen some threads really get bad quickly, and I'm probably guilty of fanning the flames myself a few times.  But I'm afraid of getting locked or even banned for stuff I don't understand, perhaps because of a precedent that has been set in the past etc.  I've read the rules (and finally get the concept of a troll) but I know that some "old hands" remember bad/sensitive topics.  Wheras other newer people like me weren't around for "the great toilet paper direction debate of 2004" (I made that up, but you get the idea) and might post something like "gee, which is the best way to face toilet paper?"

Is it possible for the mods to post why a thread was locked?  Sometimes they do (such as "this topic has been exhausted, we're done here"), and it helps me understand why things were shut down.  It need not be anything detailed..."this person is a troll", "this is innapropriate", "this is a sentitive topic that was covered to death".

What do you think?

hot_shaker:
I've been noticing this trend lately.  Just this evening, I came across 2 or 3 locked threads that looked perfectly innocuous to me.  I think was only had a few responses, there didn't seem to be any hostility or taboo subjects.  There wasn't even any moderation (well, other than the thread being locked).

Technically, I've been around for a while although I've only really been active for a year but, like Grinchette, I'm concerned about there being unspoken but forbidden topics.  I would very much appreciate some sort of reasoning as to why a thread was closed, even if it's just a few words.

Romes7329:
I think the two threads that you are talking about were closed because they have nothing to do with etiquette.  They were mostly just a rant and no actual etiquette question was asked.

Threads created just to vent aren't allowed on this forum.

hot_shaker:

--- Quote from: Romes7329 on July 09, 2008, 08:48:21 AM ---I think the two threads that you are talking about were closed because they have nothing to do with etiquette.  They were mostly just a rant and no actual etiquette question was asked.

--- End quote ---

That's what I was thinking, but I think it would be nice to have a final post from a mod stating the reason.  This would be especially helpful for newcomers.

caroljones:

--- Quote from: Romes7329 on July 09, 2008, 08:48:21 AM ---I think the two threads that you are talking about were closed because they have nothing to do with etiquette.  They were mostly just a rant and no actual etiquette question was asked.

--- End quote ---

There is another one today that I'm curious about. It is in this section: A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Entertainment and News

The mod locked it and said it had nothing to do with etiquette. I thought the topic of discussion was OK since it was in an off-topic discussion thread. Can someone enlighten me, please?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version