Author Topic: When threads get locked....  (Read 62696 times)

realgonegal1

• Trying to stay below the radar with a name change!
When threads get locked....
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:16:36 PM »
Usually it's pretty obvious when a thread gets locked....it was moved, or it degenerated into something non-productive.

But today, there are two that were locked and I don't really understand why.  One seemed like it could go many ways, while another was just a few posts long and pretty mild.

This worries me because I feel like I am a bit on my toes here.  I'm still new compared to some of the regular posters, and I'm a bit afraid of upsetting people.  I have seen some threads really get bad quickly, and I'm probably guilty of fanning the flames myself a few times.  But I'm afraid of getting locked or even banned for stuff I don't understand, perhaps because of a precedent that has been set in the past etc.  I've read the rules (and finally get the concept of a troll) but I know that some "old hands" remember bad/sensitive topics.  Wheras other newer people like me weren't around for "the great toilet paper direction debate of 2004" (I made that up, but you get the idea) and might post something like "gee, which is the best way to face toilet paper?"

Is it possible for the mods to post why a thread was locked?  Sometimes they do (such as "this topic has been exhausted, we're done here"), and it helps me understand why things were shut down.  It need not be anything detailed..."this person is a troll", "this is innapropriate", "this is a sentitive topic that was covered to death".

What do you think?

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
Re: When threads get locked....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:08 PM »
I've been noticing this trend lately.  Just this evening, I came across 2 or 3 locked threads that looked perfectly innocuous to me.  I think was only had a few responses, there didn't seem to be any hostility or taboo subjects.  There wasn't even any moderation (well, other than the thread being locked).

Technically, I've been around for a while although I've only really been active for a year but, like Grinchette, I'm concerned about there being unspoken but forbidden topics.  I would very much appreciate some sort of reasoning as to why a thread was closed, even if it's just a few words.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

Romes7329

• Go Sox!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »
I think the two threads that you are talking about were closed because they have nothing to do with etiquette.  They were mostly just a rant and no actual etiquette question was asked.

Threads created just to vent aren't allowed on this forum.
"Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus" ~JK Rowling

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:25:44 PM »
I think the two threads that you are talking about were closed because they have nothing to do with etiquette.  They were mostly just a rant and no actual etiquette question was asked.

That's what I was thinking, but I think it would be nice to have a final post from a mod stating the reason.  This would be especially helpful for newcomers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

caroljones

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »

There is another one today that I'm curious about. It is in this section: A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Entertainment and News

The mod locked it and said it had nothing to do with etiquette. I thought the topic of discussion was OK since it was in an off-topic discussion thread. Can someone enlighten me, please?

Julep

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 02:49:44 PM »
Count me as curious too. The mod's comment was stern, and in an off-topic forum, I was surprised to see it locked.

Elle

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:04:42 PM »
If it was the OJ simpson one, I see how that one could have gotten heated and out of hand in short order.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 03:08:17 PM »
If it was the OJ simpson one, I see how that one could have gotten heated and out of hand in short order.

Yeah, just looking at the few comments, that thread seemed like it was headed for trouble.  Actually when I saw it this morning, I wondered when it would be locked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

caroljones

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »

My curiosity stemmed from the comment by the mod that it had nothing to do with etiquette. There wasn't any mention about it being heated or inappropriate content. That's all I was wondering about.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 03:19:31 PM »
The old forum used to have a 'Boiler Room' Folder for vents.  However, Miss Jeanne decided it was unproductive and the rants became over the top that spilled into other threads.  That is why vents aren't allowed here and there has to be a relation to etiquette for the thread not to be locked.  There also used to be a folder that notified if someone was gagged/banned and a brief reason why.  That folder was removed, can't remember the reason why.

As for locked topics, I agree that a post by the mod before locking it would be helpful.  I've been here a loooong time and sometimes I am genuinely perplexed as to why a thread is locked. 

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 03:31:01 PM »
The old forum used to have a 'Boiler Room' Folder for vents.  However, Miss Jeanne decided it was unproductive and the rants became over the top that spilled into other threads.  That is why vents aren't allowed here and there has to be a relation to etiquette for the thread not to be locked.  There also used to be a folder that notified if someone was gagged/banned and a brief reason why.  That folder was removed, can't remember the reason why.
As for locked topics, I agree that a post by the mod before locking it would be helpful.  I've been here a loooong time and sometimes I am genuinely perplexed as to why a thread is locked. 

The mods probably figured it was none of our business/would just lead to gossiping if we were all told when someone was banned/gagged.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 03:38:46 PM »
In some instances locking with no discussion is preferred as it removes arguments over whether something should be locked. I am not sure if that is the reasoning here, but on other boards I play on, it was stated. It did leave some flailing, but it also removed lawer-like arguing on the part of the members (If X thread was locked, why wasn't Y thread?)

To be honest, I'm a tad nervous even posting on this thread, as some other forums have rules that members may not discuss lockings/bannings at all.

My feeling is Mod's playground, Mod's rules.

Nimblicity

• A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    • an American in Yurrup
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
My thread was locked in the "I need a hug" folder.  For good reasons.  It was political, even though I hadn't meant to offend anyone.  I was just stressed about the situation and how it affected me.

:-[ :-[
Used to be Bienchen

an American in Yurrup

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 05:13:47 PM »

My curiosity stemmed from the comment by the mod that it had nothing to do with etiquette. There wasn't any mention about it being heated or inappropriate content. That's all I was wondering about.
EhellDame has also said more than once that the discussion of sensationalist news is not up for discussion anywhere on the forum. And even off-topic posts shouldn't be mean-spirited or offensive. Off-topic does not equal free-for-all.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »

The mods probably figured it was none of our business/would just lead to gossiping if we were all told when someone was banned/gagged.

I don't believe that was the reason.  I think it had something to do with Miss Jeanne feeling the folder was not that useful and it was needed for other topics.