Author Topic: When threads get locked....  (Read 60175 times)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
Re: When threads get locked....
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 06:34:57 PM »
In some instances locking with no discussion is preferred as it removes arguments over whether something should be locked. I am not sure if that is the reasoning here, but on other boards I play on, it was stated. It did leave some flailing, but it also removed lawer-like arguing on the part of the members (If X thread was locked, why wasn't Y thread?)

To be honest, I'm a tad nervous even posting on this thread, as some other forums have rules that members may not discuss lockings/bannings at all.

My feeling is Mod's playground, Mod's rules.

The topic comes up from time to time and as far as I know, it's not a verboten subject.   There was a long thread that asked about MIA people, that was eventually locked, but it had gone on for a long time and ran its course.

I wonder if we belong to the same site.  There's another board to which I belong where it is verboten to speak of bannings or even previous members who are banned.  They go on wild banfests and there's a real inequal distribution of the rules that apply to some people and not others. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
In some instances locking with no discussion is preferred as it removes arguments over whether something should be locked. I am not sure if that is the reasoning here, but on other boards I play on, it was stated. It did leave some flailing, but it also removed lawer-like arguing on the part of the members (If X thread was locked, why wasn't Y thread?)

To be honest, I'm a tad nervous even posting on this thread, as some other forums have rules that members may not discuss lockings/bannings at all.

My feeling is Mod's playground, Mod's rules.

The topic comes up from time to time and as far as I know, it's not a verboten subject.   There was a long thread that asked about MIA people, that was eventually locked, but it had gone on for a long time and ran its course.

I wonder if we belong to the same site.  There's another board to which I belong where it is verboten to speak of bannings or even previous members who are banned.  They go on wild banfests and there's a real inequal distribution of the rules that apply to some people and not others. 

I know it's OK to discuss the rules here (and banned posters) but it doesn't stop me feeling nervous. I think it's because the very first forum I posted on had very strong rules against any discussion of banned posters that got quite ingrained in me.

To be fair, the other place is much more of a free for all in almost all other respects, so I think a bit more of a dictatorship approach to moderating works in that setting.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 12:59:05 PM »
My thread was locked in the "I need a hug" folder.  For good reasons.  It was political, even though I hadn't meant to offend anyone.  I was just stressed about the situation and how it affected me.

:-[ :-[

IME, it's best to take these discussions to PM or a political forum.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 01:03:07 PM »
If it was the OJ simpson one, I see how that one could have gotten heated and out of hand in short order.

My curiosity stemmed from the comment by the mod that it had nothing to do with etiquette. There wasn't any mention about it being heated or inappropriate content. That's all I was wondering about.
EhellDame has also said more than once that the discussion of sensationalist news is not up for discussion anywhere on the forum. And even off-topic posts shouldn't be mean-spirited or offensive. Off-topic does not equal free-for-all.

Pod, especially in "I Need a Hug".  Posting in this folder does not mean other posters are rude to offer their opinion/advice on the situation, and I don't it's fair when the OP gets angry & defensive when this happens.

nliedel

• In my dreams, I'm a Goddess!
  • busy, as always
    • Goat Rodeo Fiber Fiesta
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 01:23:21 PM »
Yes, a short note, where appropriate on why a thread was locked would be nice, but it could also lead to a lot of mod questions and more locked threads. It's just one of those things we put up with here. Yes there is such a thing as free speech, but this is a private forum (owned and paid for by our own Miss Jeanne) and she does have final say. I must state that I belong to three forums and this is by far the most civil, even when people disagree.

Which is a huzzah in my book. Oops, forgot about the Renaissance Forum, make that four.
Fiber artist, writer, belly dancer. Four boys and a husband of twenty years. I'm happy

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 07:35:48 PM »
Pod, especially in "I Need a Hug".  Posting in this folder does not mean other posters are rude to offer their opinion/advice on the situation, and I don't it's fair when the OP gets angry & defensive when this happens.

Would it be acceptable for OPs in the I Need a Hug forum to add a quick note to their post, saying "Hugs only, no advice for now"?  I feel like sometimes posters just want to be able to know someone cares, without getting into advice/debates.

I was just thinking about writing forums I respond to, where there is a set forum for posting pieces of writing with no criticism allowed.  In the main forum, you post your writing for constructive criticism, but then there's the other forum for just compliments.  It might be nice for posters to have that option within the "I need a hug" forum...just an idea though, I don't know how everyone else would feel about that.

Elle

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 04:08:57 AM »
I'm confused, why would you post a story if you didn't want to get criticism?  ???

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2008, 05:38:38 AM »
I'm confused, why would you post a story if you didn't want to get criticism?  ???

Because they just need a hug. :) I could see how someone just needs somewhere safe to share their problems, get a few "it's going to be okay"s, and not have to defend themselves.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2008, 09:30:40 AM »

Because they just need a hug. :) I could see how someone just needs somewhere safe to share their problems, get a few "it's going to be okay"s, and not have to defend themselves.

Yes, that's true, however, I have seen more than one thread in "I Need A Hug" where the OP *received* hugs & encouragement, but also recieved some constructive, helpful suggestions, or other perspectives to the issue, and the OP didn't want them & got really upset & responded, "I posted this in 'I Need a Hug' for a *reason*!!!" as though the fact that the thread is in "I Need a Hug" = all posters must agree with the OP 100%.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 11:06:46 AM »

Yes, that's true, however, I have seen more than one thread in "I Need A Hug" where the OP *received* hugs & encouragement, but also recieved some constructive, helpful suggestions, or other perspectives to the issue, and the OP didn't want them & got really upset & responded, "I posted this in 'I Need a Hug' for a *reason*!!!" as though the fact that the thread is in "I Need a Hug" = all posters must agree with the OP 100%.

I think it's just different needs.  Some people, depending on the issue and how long it's been going on, are ready for helpful opinions including criticism.  Some just need to be virtually patted on the back and that's all they can handle at that time.

I like Surianne's suggestion that the OP can ask just for hugs, no advice.  That way, any potential posters no right away that the poster is not open to suggestions and/or criticism and then decide if they care to post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »

Because they just need a hug. :)

I think Elle is referring to the writers' forum and is asking why someone would post a piece of their writing on a writing forum if they didn't want criticism. Compliments are always welcome, of course, but growing as a writer requires constructive criticism.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 11:25:40 AM »

I think Elle is referring to the writers' forum and is asking why someone would post a piece of their writing on a writing forum if they didn't want criticism. Compliments are always welcome, of course, but growing as a writer requires constructive criticism.

Ah yes, I see.  I must have missed that part.  I just saw forum and I assumed she meant the main EHell forum. Sorry about that.  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

living in the Mid-West.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 09:32:50 PM »
Oops, I assumed main eHell forum too.  Since I was the one who posted about the writing board: Yeah, I prefer to post in order to receive criticism, and I don't generally frequent the "just compliments please" threads, but I think it's for when you're having a bad day.  Writer's block, self doubt, and rejection letters can all be pretty brutal...so I guess it's nice to be able to post a bit of your work and hear, for the moment, only about what you're doing right.  Sometimes you just need that little bit of encouragement. 

twinkletoes

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
I'm coming in late, but I'd like to say that I agree with a quick explanation from the mod locking the thread.  It can just be "we don't discuss politics here" or whatever.  There have been threads where it's obvious to me why it's locked; but there have been some that were real head-scratchers.

Elle

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2008, 02:06:59 PM »

Ah yes, I see.  I must have missed that part.  I just saw forum and I assumed she meant the main EHell forum. Sorry about that.  :)

That's okay. I wasn't really clear. I did mean the writer's forum. I totally get that sometimes the "I need a hug" posters just need a hug.  ;D

I blame the lack of sleep I'ver had the past week. Can't you people read my mind yet?  ;D