Author Topic: When threads get locked....  (Read 62729 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: When threads get locked....
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
I'm confused, why would you post a story if you didn't want to get criticism?  ???

Because they just need a hug. :)

I think Elle is referring to the writers' forum and is asking why someone would post a piece of their writing on a writing forum if they didn't want criticism. Compliments are always welcome, of course, but growing as a writer requires constructive criticism.

Ah yes, I see.  I must have missed that part.  I just saw forum and I assumed she meant the main EHell forum. Sorry about that.  :)

That's okay. I wasn't really clear. I did mean the writer's forum. I totally get that sometimes the "I need a hug" posters just need a hug.  ;D

I blame the lack of sleep I'ver had the past week. Can't you people read my mind yet?  ;D

Aww! That's too bad that you can't sleep. Do you need a hug? ;)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Elle

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

Aww! That's too bad that you can't sleep. Do you need a hug? ;)

ROFL! No, I've been at a seminar that tried to cram two weeks of info into four and a half days, on top of my usual work duties. I love learning but going from 9am to 1:30am is tough!

goblue2539

• Caffeine makes the world go 'round.
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »
I blame the lack of sleep I'ver had the past week. Can't you people read my mind yet?  ;D

I know I"m a week late, but I wanted to apologize.  I accidentally signed up for psychology classes, not psychic classes this semester.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 01:39:06 AM »
May I add my agreement to the idea that there's a post as to why a thread is locked?

I really appreciate the time and effort moderators put into keeping this a safe, drama-free and topical forum.  But it would contribute to my peace of mind to understand why a thread is locked.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 01:14:14 PM »
Me too. Sometimes I am left wondering why a thread was closed. Not only that, but if there is an explanation, it prevents the same thing that caused a thread to be closed from happening again in the future.

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
I noticed that a thread I began recently has been locked.  While there is no "official" explanation, it seems somewhat obvious (at least to me) from some of the most recent posts, that things had begun to deteriorate beyond the suggesting of  "etiquette approved" solutions to the issue in the OP.  Though it could have been an interesting and informative discussion about how to handle something, it unfortunately touched on one of those sensitive topics of which we've all been admonished to be mindful with our postings - and was headed down hill.

Sooo...the thread got the online equivalent of the "icy stare of doom."  And I will try to be more careful in the future.  My apologies.     

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
Sometimes when I lock a thread and comment about it, I get a PM from either the OP or someone who posted in the thread blasting me for doing so.

Trust me when I say I will not tolerate this anymore.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 04:35:48 PM »
Sometimes when I lock a thread and comment about it, I get a PM from either the OP or someone who posted in the thread blasting me for doing so.

Wow! That's rude!  I don't blame you for not tolerating it!

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »

:o :o :o
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »
Neither do I! That is so not okay.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
I do trust you, and please don't.

I do find the explanations to be helpful, so I appreciate them when they are provided. When they are not, I do my best to guess and move on. I would suspect that the majority of unexplained "lockings" come from discussions that are off-topic, but that's just a guess.

MissJezebel

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 06:52:30 AM »

My feeling is Mod's playground, Mod's rules.

I wonder if we belong to the same site.  There's another board to which I belong where it is verboten to speak of bannings or even previous members who are banned.  They go on wild banfests and there's a real inequal distribution of the rules that apply to some people and not others. 

hmmm.. been there, done I had been a mod on another forum for a few years that was shut down because some of my fellow moderators decided to ban people because they had personal issues with them or were just in a bad mood that day. Everyone stopped posting because they were afraid of the mods and the admin deleted the forum. It was kinda sad...they way some abused power and everyone had to suffer....

if you abuse and threaten your forum members....eventualy you will have no forum. You might have to take some flack but it is part of the job description. Part of what is wrong with the world today is that no one knows how to accept constructive criticism.....or face the fact that not everyone is gonna agree with them.....especially when they have a "bow down to me" attitude.

(and if I get banned for saying that....well then that just proves my point....)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:08:57 AM by MissJezebel »

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 07:29:39 AM »
if you abuse and threaten your forum members....eventualy you will have no forum. You might have to take some flack but it is part of the job description. Part of what is wrong with the world today is that no one knows how to accept constructive criticism.....or face the fact that not everyone is gonna agree with them.....especially when they have a "bow down to me" attitude.
(and if I get banned for saying that....well then that just proves my point....)

But that has never happened here. The rules are applied to everyone equally. Even if someone has a gazillion posts, if that person breaks the rules, s/he is gagged or banned. End of story.

With threads that are locked it's usually patently obvious as to why. Either the discussion got heated or it was simply completely off-topic. And anyone who feels that someone else has been rude or broken the rules is free to report that person. I have only reported about five threads/posts in all the time I've been here, but they were always dealt with, even if nothing was said in the thread itself.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 07:51:48 AM »

But that has never happened here. The rules are applied to everyone equally. Even if someone has a gazillion posts, if that person breaks the rules, s/he is gagged or banned. End of story.

With threads that are locked it's usually patently obvious as to why. Either the discussion got heated or it was simply completely off-topic. And anyone who feels that someone else has been rude or broken the rules is free to report that person. I have only reported about five threads/posts in all the time I've been here, but they were always dealt with, even if nothing was said in the thread itself.
Agreed.

And this is not a forum where anyone gets banned for disagreeing with the mods, at least not that I've seen.

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 08:59:28 AM »

Agreed.

And this is not a forum where anyone gets banned for disagreeing with the mods, at least not that I've seen.

The only exception I've seen to that (and I'm not at ALL saying it applies to anyone in this thread) is if they are doing it in a way that makes it obvious that they are just a troll - like repeating a ridiculous argument, refusing to stop talking about something they have already been spoken to about, referencing "other" forums.