Author Topic: When threads get locked....  (Read 60144 times)

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: When threads get locked....
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2009, 07:07:09 PM »
I love ehell because I'm pretty sure that it's the only place on the planet where school supplies, shoes on/off in the house, and shopping carts are controversial issues.  :)

Oh, no. It's not. One of the first great spectacular flame wars I witnessed was over shopping carts.

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2009, 07:09:42 PM »
Oh, and let's not forget the hot topic of having coffee on hand to serve to overnight guests.

on your way to bringing the guest to your house of worship, and the guest is a S.O. you're hosting under your parents' roof  ;)

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
OT, but dangit, Cathy!  I'm all excited about approaching 1000 posts and you're a couple away from 18,000!  I'll never catch up!   :P

C0mputerGeek

• C0mputerGeek
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
I love ehell because I'm pretty sure that it's the only place on the planet where school supplies, shoes on/off in the house, and shopping carts are controversial issues.  :)

Yes, I was amazed at the discussion over recipe sharing, blue jeans in the court room, and keeping a coffee pot on hand for guests. The recipe thread had me wishing I could experience the situation myself just so I could send it in to Miss Manners to get her take on it.

Contentious threads are, however, an excellent way to highlight how one's own expectations are formed by one's circle of acquaintances.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
Very true.

I had a conversation with my co-workers about gravy. My family always puts milk in it. Apparently this makes us incredibly weird.

I had to laugh over it, as I never expected to have a huge, contentious discussion over the ingredients of gravy!!!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »
OT, but dangit, Cathy!  I'm all excited about approaching 1000 posts and you're a couple away from 18,000!  I'll never catch up!   :P

Some people would say I talk too much. ;)

ch1pch0p

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2009, 07:50:54 PM »
Very true.

I had a conversation with my co-workers about gravy. My family always puts milk in it. Apparently this makes us incredibly weird.

I had to laugh over it, as I never expected to have a huge, contentious discussion over the ingredients of gravy!!!

Um, yeah. Weird. ;-)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2009, 07:51:57 PM »

Some people would say I talk too much. ;)

You don't talk too much. You just have a lot of things to say. ;)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2009, 07:55:03 PM »
I can't see why a polite request in a PM would be a problem, as long as you're prepared to either not get an answer or get a beandip. Our mods are some of the least gossipy-dishy I've seen.....

And this is why we love them so! :)

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

I don't know about you guys but I think "quickly bringing your sick kittycat in a kitty-carrier into the pharmacy to pick up its prescription" is getting there too!  ;)

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »
Oh, and let's not forget the hot topic of having coffee on hand to serve to overnight guests.

on your way to bringing the guest to your house of worship, and the guest is a S.O. you're hosting under your parents' roof  ;)

And the etiquette of wireless signal names. :)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »
I'm surprised about the shoes off or on - Being from the north, I'd say I can see that there's no "right answer" but that it probably just very much depends on the weather/seasonality of where you live!

EEEEeeek!! Trust me on this one, cbcb!  I grew up in Canada and know exactly where you're coming from.  I now live in the US and used to live in a State where shoes off was not the norm and I learned quickly how regional it is, among others, an etiquette issue that gets very heated. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »
You should do a search.  There are a few camps-

~The guest should be able to do what the guest chooses (on or off)
~The host should be able to dictate that the shoes stay on because- feet are dirty, feet stink, feet are ugly, etc
~The host should be able to dictate that the shoes come off because- it will mess up the carpet, hard wood floor, track  in germs/dirt, etc.

I think those are the main ones.  Shopping carts and eating unpaid for food in the grocery store are fun too.

Let's not forget:
The guest who feels naked if they are asked to remove their shoes.

The guest who feels their comfort trumps that of the host's feelings on preserving a costly part of their home.

The guest who thinks that their outfit is more important than the host's floors and are offended when the host thinks their floors are more important than the guest's outfit. 

Enter vicious circle, endless debate AKA don't go there!  ;)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 07:07:03 PM »

Nope, shoes on/off is controversial everywhere.  A thread at another board I belong to finally got to posting limit much to everyone's relief.  It had the exact same arguments as here.  Trust me, it's not limited to EH.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2009, 07:08:23 PM »

Yes, I was amazed at the discussion over recipe sharing, blue jeans in the court room, and keeping a coffee pot on hand for guests. The recipe thread had me wishing I could experience the situation myself just so I could send it in to Miss Manners to get her take on it.

Contentious threads are, however, an excellent way to highlight how one's own expectations are formed by one's circle of acquaintances.

Dang, I missed the jeans in the court room thread.   ---------> Cathy is running to search for it now!