Author Topic: When threads get locked....  (Read 58759 times)

AdakAK

Re: When threads get locked....
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
Shopping carts is actually almost an inside-ish joke at another board I mostly lurk at.  It's not one that's limited to e-hell.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2009, 07:58:48 PM »
I love ehell because I'm pretty sure that it's the only place on the planet where school supplies, shoes on/off in the house, and shopping carts are controversial issues.  :)

Yes, I was amazed at the discussion over recipe sharing, blue jeans in the court room, and keeping a coffee pot on hand for guests. The recipe thread had me wishing I could experience the situation myself just so I could send it in to Miss Manners to get her take on it.

Contentious threads are, however, an excellent way to highlight how one's own expectations are formed by one's circle of acquaintances.

Dang, I missed the jeans in the court room thread.   ---------> Cathy is running to search for it now!

I think that one was about two months ago.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2009, 09:48:19 PM »
Shopping carts is actually almost an inside-ish joke at another board I mostly lurk at.  It's not one that's limited to e-hell.

The shopping cart controversy HAS become a joke at another board I'm on, along with, believe it or not, fried chicken.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2009, 11:01:11 PM »
The shopping cart controversy HAS become a joke at another board I'm on, along with, believe it or not, fried chicken.

Fried chicken?

KFC vs. Churches vs. Popeye's?
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2009, 11:05:50 PM »

Fried chicken?

No. The proper method to prepare fried chicken and the blasphemy of using corn flakes in the coating.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2009, 11:07:39 PM »

Fried chicken?

No. The proper method to prepare fried chicken and the blasphemy of using corn flakes in the coating.

*cackling*

Chip used to use Rice Krispies as coating. Where does that leave him?
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »

I remember a huge fiasco on another website about butter vs. margarine and the safe/non-safe methods for thawing chicken and meat in general.  Then, there was another thread that made the subject of waxing taboo on the website.

Elle

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2009, 02:20:05 AM »

Fried chicken?

*cackling*

I like using potato chips

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2009, 09:22:36 AM »

Fried chicken?

*cackling*

I like using potato chips

I'm a bread crumbs girl, myself :)

snowball's chance

• Super Hero!
  • the poster formerly known as mm250
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »
You should do a search.  There are a few camps-

~The guest should be able to do what the guest chooses (on or off)
~The host should be able to dictate that the shoes stay on because- feet are dirty, feet stink, feet are ugly, etc
~The host should be able to dictate that the shoes come off because- it will mess up the carpet, hard wood floor, track  in germs/dirt, etc.

I think those are the main ones.  Shopping carts and eating unpaid for food in the grocery store are fun too.

Let's not forget:
The guest who feels naked if they are asked to remove their shoes.

The guest who feels their comfort trumps that of the host's feelings on preserving a costly part of their home.

The guest who thinks that their outfit is more important than the host's floors and are offended when the host thinks their floors are more important than the guest's outfit. 

Enter vicious circle, endless debate AKA don't go there!  ;)

Also don't forget about diabetics, people with amputated limbs, planter's fascitis (sp?), bunions, etc, where it's more than a comfort thing. :)

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2009, 11:44:51 AM »

I'm just kind of astonished to learn there's a controversy about it, to be honest.  The shopping carts.  I have never heard of that one.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2009, 11:50:53 AM »
You know what I love about the controversial threads?  You can always find someone who has a condition or life circumstances that makes only one solution plausible.  So you'll get (warning: these examples are hypothetical) the person with the phobia about returning carts to the corral and the one whose religion dictates that she can never wear a slip under her skirt but she has to allow her bra straps to show. 

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2009, 11:56:34 AM »
You know what I love about the controversial threads?  You can always find someone who has a condition or life circumstances that makes only one solution plausible.  So you'll get (warning: these examples are hypothetical) the person with the phobia about returning carts to the corral and the one whose religion dictates that she can never wear a slip under her skirt but she has to allow her bra straps to show. 

I always find it amusing/frustrating when the simplest explanation is thrown out the window for the more obscure one. 

For example, someone is in a crowded place, where humans are elbow to elbow, and someone accidentally brushes against someone else and that person goes off on them, even though the person who touched them apologizes over and over.  There has actually been a thread involving a scenario kind of similar to this (a long time ago, on the other board I think) and there were actually posters who defended the person who went ballistic, stating maybe they have that obscure and extremely RARE *certain condition* that makes it painful for them to be touched, or something like that.  Does that *certain condition* exist?  Probably.  Is it reasonable to assume it applies here and use it to make excuses for someone's lousy behavior?  Well, *I* don't think so, and I find it very frustrating when posters do that.

Xallanthia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2009, 12:16:45 PM »

I always find it amusing/frustrating when the simplest explanation is thrown out the window for the more obscure one. 

For example, someone is in a crowded place, where humans are elbow to elbow, and someone accidentally brushes against someone else and that person goes off on them, even though the person who touched them apologizes over and over.  There has actually been a thread involving a scenario kind of similar to this (a long time ago, on the other board I think) and there were actually posters who defended the person who went ballistic, stating maybe they have that obscure and extremely RARE *certain condition* that makes it painful for them to be touched, or something like that.  Does that *certain condition* exist?  Probably.  Is it reasonable to assume it applies here and use it to make excuses for someone's lousy behavior?  Well, *I* don't think so, and I find it very frustrating when posters do that.

I agree.  If there *is* a given rare condition that can complicate a situation, that others may not know about, it is the responsibility of the person with the condition to communicate that and then the etiquette of the situation changes accordingly.  For example, I don't think a shoes-on ehellion would flip out about their friend asking nicely, "Do you mind if I take my shoes off?  I've been struggling with X and they are very painful."  But, when the thread becomes about the exceptions alone, discussion of the main point can get lost.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

Yes! Without fail, those kind of situations always, always show up on these kind of threads. It happens so much that just by reading the title of the thread, my mind automatically goes to what kind of mental, physical, or emotional condition someone is going to state in the thread.