Author Topic: When threads get locked....  (Read 61892 times)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
Re: When threads get locked....
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »
You know what I love about the controversial threads?  You can always find someone who has a condition or life circumstances that makes only one solution plausible.  So you'll get (warning: these examples are hypothetical) the person with the phobia about returning carts to the corral and the one whose religion dictates that she can never wear a slip under her skirt but she has to allow her bra straps to show. 

Yes! Without fail, those kind of situations always, always show up on these kind of threads. It happens so much that just by reading the title of the thread, my mind automatically goes to what kind of mental, physical, or emotional condition someone is going to state in the thread.

Yes, this is what I was talking about above.  It can never simply be that Joe is an inconsiderate jerk (the simplest answer).  He has to have Asperger's, or some other condition that excuses his behavior.  Drives me batty!

Trisha

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
You know what I love about the controversial threads?  You can always find someone who has a condition or life circumstances that makes only one solution plausible.  So you'll get (warning: these examples are hypothetical) the person with the phobia about returning carts to the corral and the one whose religion dictates that she can never wear a slip under her skirt but she has to allow her bra straps to show. 

Yes! Without fail, those kind of situations always, always show up on these kind of threads. It happens so much that just by reading the title of the thread, my mind automatically goes to what kind of mental, physical, or emotional condition someone is going to state in the thread.

Yes, this is what I was talking about above.  It can never simply be that Joe is an inconsiderate jerk (the simplest answer).  He has to have Asperger's, or some other condition that excuses his behavior.  Drives me batty!

I think that comes from wanting to believe that people are inherently nice (good) so you want to come up with a reason why they're not being nice. :)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2009, 02:11:53 PM »
Well, I don't have a phobia about shopping carts, just grocery stores.  >:D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

demarco

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »
It can never simply be that Joe is an inconsiderate jerk (the simplest answer).  He has to have Asperger's, or some other condition that excuses his behavior.  Drives me batty!

Me, too!!!!  I'm tired of excuses and the one in a million exception and the exquisitely fragile.  When we've all become snowflakes, there will be no etiquette and I'm going to go live in a cave.   >:(

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2009, 02:14:49 PM »
OT, but I like your "in love" emoticon, Scritzy!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »
I don't think any condition excuses anyone's behaviour.  It might explain it but it doesn't excuse it.

My SIL did some horrible things to my brother.  Then she was diagnosed with BPD.  The diagnosis explained why she'd done some of the things she'd done but it doesn't excuse what she did, as far as I'm concerned.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
Shopping carts is actually almost an inside-ish joke at another board I mostly lurk at.  It's not one that's limited to e-hell.

The shopping cart controversy HAS become a joke at another board I'm on, along with, believe it or not, fried chicken.

I remember a huge fiasco on another website about butter vs. margarine and the safe/non-safe methods for thawing chicken and meat in general.  Then, there was another thread that made the subject of waxing taboo on the website.
One of the biggest flame wars on the board I used to help out on was which name to assign to a fairly obscure crafting technique. Not how to do it ... but what to call it. We ended up banning people in that fight, and it kept flaring up over almost the entire life of the board and helped bring about its demise. AFAIK, it's still raging on other boards dedicated to that craft, and Godwin's Law is frequently tested. :(

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
You know what I love about the controversial threads?  You can always find someone who has a condition or life circumstances that makes only one solution plausible.

Drive me nuts too. On the old board we eventually called it something like "a doctor's note" and people were told (by the mods I think; could be wrong) not to do it.

When people come up with these outrageous excuses for bad behaviour, I always try to come up with even more outrageous ones, like, "Maybe aliens came and took over her brain and therefore didn't know you put the trolley back!"
"Maybe she went back in time when people all walked barefoot!"
"Maybe it was her evil twin!!"
Because those explanations are just as plausible as some of the nonsense people spew to excuse the bad behaviour of others.

But what gets me even more is when someone will mention a characteristic of a person in a story. It's quite obvious that the characteristic is only mentioned to set up the background and not meant as a condemnation, but every.single.person on the board with that characteristic will jump in, "I have that and I would never do that! Don't accuse us all of being like that!"

For example, if someone says, "She had her son with her who was purple and he was opening all the cans with his teeth and dressing himself in the contents," someone will say, "My son is purple and not only does he never go near cans, but his teeth aren't strong enough to bite cans open! You're generalising about all parents of purple children! They don't all have sharp teeth or like dressing themselves in food! You're rude to suggest that and I demand you apologise!!" Honestly, what?! Get a life - it was a specific example.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

demarco

« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2009, 03:20:50 PM »
 On the old board we eventually called it something like "a doctor's note" and people were told (by the mods I think; could be wrong) not to do it.
 I wonder if we could resurrect this notion of a "doctor's note?" 

But what gets me even more is when someone will mention a characteristic of a person in a story. It's quite obvious that the characteristic is only mentioned to set up the background and not meant as a condemnation, but every.single.person on the board with that characteristic will jump in, "I have that and I would never do that! Don't accuse us all of being like that!"

This bothers me, too.  I wish we could all resolve not to think the worst and jump on everyone who mentions body type, ethnicity, age, profession, income, educational level, gender,  lifestyle, religion, or accent, assuming that this information indicates prejudice.  There could be a reason for including the information or there may not be, it may just be a part of the background.  Can't we give people the benefit of the doubt once in a while? 

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
ITA. Sometimes I feel like I have to take sooo much extra time in writing out a thread because I have to make sure all the bases are covered and that there is nothing that anyone can find offense such as what we’re talking about. And then yet still someone will manage to find offense in it. Stop automatically assuming the worst about everyone!

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2009, 04:01:12 PM »
Shopping carts is actually almost an inside-ish joke at another board I mostly lurk at.  It's not one that's limited to e-hell.

The shopping cart controversy HAS become a joke at another board I'm on, along with, believe it or not, fried chicken.

I'm just kind of astonished to learn there's a controversy about it, to be honest.  The shopping carts.  I have never heard of that one.

I think we were rather astonished on that board to discover the fried-chicken topic was so rife for flaming. It started innocently enough - someone asked for input on fried chicken recipes, another poster answered that he liked to use crushed cornflakes, and it exploded from there. It has since become a running joke.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

I'm just kind of astonished to learn there's a controversy about it, to be honest.  The shopping carts.  I have never heard of that one.

I think we were rather astonished on that board to discover the fried-chicken topic was so rife for flaming. It started innocently enough - someone asked for input on fried chicken recipes, another poster answered that he liked to use crushed cornflakes, and it exploded from there. It has since become a running joke.

Well, now, I can understand that perfectly. Not everyone would be a fan of flambe chicken. ;)

*ducks and runs*
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
I can understand why that one would turn into such a contentious subject.

Some people have allergies or medical conditions that prohibit them from eating cornflakes. And some have cornflake phobias.

;D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »
Well, you know, some people were traumatized by their mother's terrible, horrific, disgusting excuse for corn flake chicken (slather with mayo, roll in uncrushed corn flakes, bake), and even though they know, intellectually, that there are other methods of making it that actually taste good, they're still afraid of it, and have banned it from the house.  (Says Rainha, who didn't even know she liked chicken until she had it at a friend's house).

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
I can understand why that one would turn into such a contentious subject.

Some people have allergies or medical conditions that prohibit them from eating cornflakes. And some have cornflake phobias.

;D

Actually, I believe the crux of the argument was that corn flakes were blasphemous in the face of "proper" fried chicken made with seasoned flour.

ETA: This illustration of a true but ridiculous flame war is not intended to start same on Ehell.