Author Topic: When threads get locked....  (Read 60226 times)

twinkletoes

Re: When threads get locked....
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2009, 05:50:14 PM »
I can understand why that one would turn into such a contentious subject.

Some people have allergies or medical conditions that prohibit them from eating cornflakes. And some have cornflake phobias.

;D

Actually, I believe the crux of the argument was that corn flakes were blasphemous in the face of "proper" fried chicken made with seasoned flour.

ETA: This illustration of a true but ridiculous flame war is not intended to start same on Ehell.

Heh.  Isn't it kind of funny to see what sort of topics can erupt in huge wars?  I remember we had a thread here a few months ago about discussions people have had that have just erupted into screaming matches.  Not standard topics like politics or religion, but I remember one poster said she got into a fight with her dad - I think - about which church service had the best choir.  In my family, there is a lot of tension when people start talking about how to make boiled corn.  We just don't go there any more.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2009, 05:55:34 PM »
I remember a corn on the cob thread here in ehell...

Right now, I avoid all gift threads. Which is unfortunate since I have a gift related question to ask, but I don't want to start another.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2009, 06:03:50 PM »
Another silly anger trip: anytime there is a discussion on fashion and what each of us likes and dislikes, it seems like there’s always someone who gets their panties in a bunch over someone expressing dislike over their favorite clothing item or hairstyle.

twinkletoes

« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2009, 06:11:31 PM »
Another silly anger trip: anytime there is a discussion on fashion and what each of us likes and dislikes, it seems like there’s always someone who gets their panties in a bunch over someone expressing dislike over their favorite clothing item or hairstyle.

I think it's because some of those statements aren't just "I don't care for X" or even "I think X is not a good look."  They are statements like "Anyone wearing X looks awful!"  It's not the disagreement, it's how the disagreement is worded.  And if words like "childish," "juvenile," or "tramp" are used, well, I can see where someone will ticked off.  Or if the poster says "well, I have pride in my appearance and value my body, so I'll never be caught dead wearing Y," then it leads posters to think that if you *do* wear Y, then you have no pride in your appearance and you don't value your body. 

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2009, 07:18:53 PM »
OT, but I like your "in love" emoticon, Scritzy!

Thanks! In honor of Valentine's Day. :)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »

I think it's because some of those statements aren't just "I don't care for X" or even "I think X is not a good look."  They are statements like "Anyone wearing X looks awful!"  It's not the disagreement, it's how the disagreement is worded.  And if words like "childish," "juvenile," or "tramp" are used, well, I can see where someone will ticked off.  Or if the poster says "well, I have pride in my appearance and value my body, so I'll never be caught dead wearing Y," then it leads posters to think that if you *do* wear Y, then you have no pride in your appearance and you don't value your body. 
Ah, twinkletoes, you have nailed it! I don't mind people saying, for example, "I don't think I want a tattoo," but referring to tattoos by derogatory nicknames or making statements about someone who was rude and including the "extraneous" fact that they were tattooed ... well that's annoying. (And I pick that example because I am NOT tattooed, though I have seen some truly gorgeous tats around town.) (Though I am actually thinking of getting one.) (Yes, at my age.)

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2009, 01:35:35 AM »
Hey, I got my first tatt two years ago at 51. Got two more last October. ;D
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2009, 01:53:06 AM »
I have no tattoos, but my daughter has two and my future son-in-law is heavily tattooed.

wordgirl

• Ponytail time
  • Super Hero!
  • Coca-Cola, cake and single-malt Scotch--I'm happy!
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2009, 04:04:03 AM »
Hey, I got my first tatt two years ago at 51. Got two more last October. ;D
I have no tattoos, but my daughter has two and my future son-in-law is heavily tattooed.

Well, there you go. All the cool kids are doing it. ;) The one I have mind is pretty subtle. But I would know it was there.

Frostblooded

« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
Did I overextend it when I said that I think tattoos are gross? Was the word "gross" too much? Or would you have preferred "I don't think they look good." Maybe gross was too powerful.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2009, 06:26:50 PM »
Well, you know, some people were traumatized by their mother's terrible, horrific, disgusting excuse for corn flake chicken (slather with mayo, roll in uncrushed corn flakes, bake), and even though they know, intellectually, that there are other methods of making it that actually taste good, they're still afraid of it, and have banned it from the house.  (Says Rainha, who didn't even know she liked chicken until she had it at a friend's house).

This is so gross.  Not to offend, but now I know why some people's chicken makes me sick.  In theory I can eat all the elements, but occasionally it will make me sick.  Mayo makes be awfully sick.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #116 on: February 15, 2009, 01:44:17 AM »
Well, you know, some people were traumatized by their mother's terrible, horrific, disgusting excuse for corn flake chicken (slather with mayo, roll in uncrushed corn flakes, bake), and even though they know, intellectually, that there are other methods of making it that actually taste good, they're still afraid of it, and have banned it from the house.  (Says Rainha, who didn't even know she liked chicken until she had it at a friend's house).

This is so gross.  Not to offend, but now I know why some people's chicken makes me sick.  In theory I can eat all the elements, but occasionally it will make me sick.  Mayo makes be awfully sick.

I'm definitely not offended!  Ugh....  It was really really bad.  She's a good cook if she follows recipes, but she's always taking shortcuts and making substitutions that just horrify me...  like sauerkraut in meatloaf  :-X

Frostblooded

« Reply #117 on: February 15, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »
CRUD MONKEYS!!! I hate meatloaf and sauerkraut... great, now I'm going to have dream about sauerkraut-meatloaf monsters carrying sporks of doom!!!

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2009, 02:23:25 AM »
I like (good) meatloaf and sauerkraut - just not baked together in one pan.  Blech :P

Scritzy

• Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »
I like (good) meatloaf and sauerkraut - just not baked together in one pan.  Blech :P

Gad, and I thought I was weird using oatmeal in meatloaf (instead of breadcrumbs).
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.