Forum Administration > Forum Announcements

S/O Locked topic - can we see why?

<< < (17/19) > >>

Wordgeek:
The mods do post why a thread is locked, when we can.

The difficulty is that it isn't always possible.  Sometimes, like Ticia said up thread, I'm on my phone or I'm in a rush or I'm tired or whatnot.  Life interferes.  We all have jobs, families, other responsibilities outside the forum.  I suspect that there are members who spend fair more time on Ehell than the mods do.  Certainly there are people who seem more emotionally invested in the forum than I am.  I don't know if that's a good thing.

artk2002:
In answer to why we have an uptick in locked threads: These things seem to go in waves. It's likely a combination of new people unfamiliar with the culture and some older posters getting a bit too comfortable. After a few locked threads everybody figures it out and things run more smoothly for a bit.

We do get the occasional infestation of trolls but that doesn't seem likely in the current situation. Just a few threads getting a bit heated.

lilblu:
Is there a reason why the moderators can't give a warning in the thread before locking it? They do that on many other forums I'm a member of. And I think it would be nice if the moderators could give a reason why a thread is being closed if the OP is a new member or a member who hasn't posted much. We need to learn somehow as to what is acceptable and what is not. There seems to be a fine line and I'll be darned if I can find it.

I just had a recent thread locked (my second or third one, I think) and I honestly don't know why. I don't know if it was me or the other posters that got it locked. If it was me, how am I supposed to stop posting stuff that is deemed inappropriate if I don't know that it's inappropriate because the moderators don't tell me? And as someone with Asperger's syndrome, it's totally common for us not to know what is and isn't appropriate. We look at the world differently from everyone else, so the moderators are making it difficult for people like me. Quite frankly, I think the moderators who don't give a reason for a locked thread are just as bad as the people who caused the thread to be locked in the first place.

And I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'm not ranting. I'm just trying to get my point across that it's frustrating for people like me who honestly don't understand why our threads were locked.

And if there's a problem with what I just posted, could you at least PM me and tell me why. I love this forum but I don't know what you want out of me sometimes. I feel like I'm not even allowed to have an opinion.  :(

menley:
Apologies as I haven't read the past several pages as they seem to be from older years.
I've noticed a number of posts in the "Time for a Coffee Break!" section being locked, with a moderator stating that it's beyond the purview of an etiquette forum. But I thought the whole purpose for that section was that posts did not have to relate to etiquette in any way. Could someone explain please? Is there a rule I'm missing?

MsMarjorie:
When a thread gets locked, its best just to forget about it and move on, don't take it personally.  The mods have been doing this for a long time and I assume that they recognize patterns - they know when a thread is going to devolve and step in before it does.

As for your last thread, lilblu - you had a pretty unanimous set of opinions on that and when everyone in a thread agrees, it does pay to listen.  Enough was said about the subject and it really had nowhere else to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version