Author Topic: S/O Locked topic - can we see why?  (Read 50356 times)

Ticia

• Administrator
Re: S/O Locked topic - can we see why?
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2013, 04:00:48 PM »
Sometimes the reason is pretty obvious, sometimes the mods are on their phones (At least, I am) and it's hard to type up an explanation and easy to just close the thread. It's one button to push. Sometimes we're on our way out the door to deal with jobs/family and don't have time to post an explanation. So, you don't always get an explanation.
Utah

secretrebel

« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2013, 08:52:17 AM »
I was wondering if there was any reason for the recent uptick in locked threads. There are 8 in "Family and Children", most without explanation of the locking and some locked after only a few posts and nothing majorly contentious.

Has there been a rules change I've missed or is it just a coincidence?

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
I am just speculating here, but at least some were just not about etiquette issues, or were kind of ranty.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Pen^2

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but the last several locked threads I've seen have had reasons posted, even if the reason was completely obvious.

It's very appreciated :)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 04:13:35 AM »
I don't know if this is on purpose or not, but the last several locked threads I've seen have had reasons posted, even if the reason was completely obvious.

It's very appreciated :)

Agreed. Thank you :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 11:27:40 AM »
The mods do post why a thread is locked, when we can.

The difficulty is that it isn't always possible.  Sometimes, like Ticia said up thread, I'm on my phone or I'm in a rush or I'm tired or whatnot.  Life interferes.  We all have jobs, families, other responsibilities outside the forum.  I suspect that there are members who spend fair more time on Ehell than the mods do.  Certainly there are people who seem more emotionally invested in the forum than I am.  I don't know if that's a good thing.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2013, 07:14:57 PM »
In answer to why we have an uptick in locked threads: These things seem to go in waves. It's likely a combination of new people unfamiliar with the culture and some older posters getting a bit too comfortable. After a few locked threads everybody figures it out and things run more smoothly for a bit.

We do get the occasional infestation of trolls but that doesn't seem likely in the current situation. Just a few threads getting a bit heated.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

lilblu

« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2013, 01:55:07 AM »
Is there a reason why the moderators can't give a warning in the thread before locking it? They do that on many other forums I'm a member of. And I think it would be nice if the moderators could give a reason why a thread is being closed if the OP is a new member or a member who hasn't posted much. We need to learn somehow as to what is acceptable and what is not. There seems to be a fine line and I'll be darned if I can find it.

I just had a recent thread locked (my second or third one, I think) and I honestly don't know why. I don't know if it was me or the other posters that got it locked. If it was me, how am I supposed to stop posting stuff that is deemed inappropriate if I don't know that it's inappropriate because the moderators don't tell me? And as someone with Asperger's syndrome, it's totally common for us not to know what is and isn't appropriate. We look at the world differently from everyone else, so the moderators are making it difficult for people like me. Quite frankly, I think the moderators who don't give a reason for a locked thread are just as bad as the people who caused the thread to be locked in the first place.

And I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'm not ranting. I'm just trying to get my point across that it's frustrating for people like me who honestly don't understand why our threads were locked.

And if there's a problem with what I just posted, could you at least PM me and tell me why. I love this forum but I don't know what you want out of me sometimes. I feel like I'm not even allowed to have an opinion.  :(

menley

« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
Apologies as I haven't read the past several pages as they seem to be from older years.
I've noticed a number of posts in the "Time for a Coffee Break!" section being locked, with a moderator stating that it's beyond the purview of an etiquette forum. But I thought the whole purpose for that section was that posts did not have to relate to etiquette in any way. Could someone explain please? Is there a rule I'm missing?

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2013, 07:07:34 AM »
When a thread gets locked, its best just to forget about it and move on, don't take it personally.  The mods have been doing this for a long time and I assume that they recognize patterns - they know when a thread is going to devolve and step in before it does.

As for your last thread, lilblu - you had a pretty unanimous set of opinions on that and when everyone in a thread agrees, it does pay to listen.  Enough was said about the subject and it really had nowhere else to go.

jalutaja

« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:23 AM »
When a thread gets locked, its best just to forget about it and move on, don't take it personally.  The mods have been doing this for a long time and I assume that they recognize patterns - they know when a thread is going to devolve and step in before it does.

I am not sure that would be safe.

As if my thread is locked, it means I do something wrong. And if I keep doing it, then I will be banned soon. General "me" here - I have not posted much for exactly that kind of worry.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2013, 08:15:12 AM »

As if my thread is locked, it means I do something wrong. And if I keep doing it, then I will be banned soon. General "me" here - I have not posted much for exactly that kind of worry.

I think that if an action is potentially ban-worthy, a warning/explanation will be given in the thread. It's usually only where there's no one person but rather a general trend that causes a thread to be locked that it's locked with no explanation.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

lowspark

« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2013, 08:40:43 AM »
Apologies as I haven't read the past several pages as they seem to be from older years.
I've noticed a number of posts in the "Time for a Coffee Break!" section being locked, with a moderator stating that it's beyond the purview of an etiquette forum. But I thought the whole purpose for that section was that posts did not have to relate to etiquette in any way. Could someone explain please? Is there a rule I'm missing?

From what I've observed, usually, "beyond the purview of an etiquette forum" means that the conversation has gone into forbidden territory, not that it's off topic. Forbidden territory usually means legal, medical, political or off-color discussion. All of that stuff is totally off limits here regardless of what category the thread is in.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #88 on: August 29, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »

I have spoken of this before, perhaps in this thread, but I have had two threads I started get locked.  One strayed almost immediately into legal territory, and the other degenerated into some bickering and squabbling (not me, I had only posed the original question).  Although I felt selfconscious, I was not in trouble.  Usually, the OP is addressed directly by the Mods if they are the problem: Inappropriate question or refusing to consider any viewpoint but their own.

Or if you are really uncertain, then PM one of the Mods.  There was one time when I questioned, but did so privately.  To my polite question, I received a prompt response that reassured me that my response was not the reason the thread was shut down.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: August 29, 2013, 10:15:47 AM »
lilblu, if you can't figure out why your thread was locked, you are free to PM the mod that locked it and ask.  But I think it is unreasonable to expect the mods to PM the OP of every thread they lock.  They are busy people, too, and it's not like being the moderator on this forum is their full time job.   :)

I do like it when the mods give an explanation as to why they are locking a thread but if they don't?  I just carry on.  If it was my thread and I couldn't figure out why, I'd PM the mod to ask.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario