Author Topic: S/O Locked topic - can we see why?  (Read 51233 times)

penelope2017

S/O Locked topic - can we see why?
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
I was actually going to just post and ask if there was any way we could get a one sentence reason why a topic was locked as the last post before locking it. It is helpful for those newer, even if we are not an original poster, to see why someone's topic was locked. Sometimes it is obvious (if it is long and heated) and sometimes there's a closing post explaining - but a few the last week or so are just locked with no explanation. If everyone sees why it might help to prevent the same thing in the future?

Sometimes things that are obvious to one person aren't to another.

Just a suggestion. Thanks.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O Locked topic - can we see why?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:06:59 PM »
I've actually been noticing quite a few locked threads recently and I can't figure out why.  They seemed to be okay, would maybe even be a few pages, and then they got locked.  I would love to know why too just so I don't do the same mistake that caused those locks.

iambe

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 03:17:54 PM »
I agree. A simple "Locked because this thread is inappropriate for this board" or whatever would help keep me from making the same mistake. I always worry when I see a thread I posted in locked and can't tell why.

penelope2017

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »
just wondering this again....

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 09:05:03 AM »
There have actually been several threads to this effect recently.

As for the reason, I suspect most of the threads are locked because they discussed politics (I've seen a few of those) or were not etiquette related.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

wellisawstar

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 09:19:56 AM »
There have actually been several threads to this effect recently.

As for the reason, I suspect most of the threads are locked because they discussed politics (I've seen a few of those) or were not etiquette related.

I also have seen a few threads where EHellions had been bringing information in from other threads that eroded the topic pretty fast.

I agree that I find it helpful when mods post a one-liner before closing, even if it is as simple as "this topic is inappropriate to discuss in this forum."

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:22:56 AM »
From what I have seen, a few of the topics were acually a vent in descize [sp], and  I think the front page says no venting allowed.

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
And then of course there is the telemarketers threads, which have been 'done to death'  and nearly always end in TM bashing, which is uncalled for  in an etiquette Forum

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

penelope2017

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
Yes - I understand the politics issue.

A one liner at the time of locking would help newer people understand what not to do. and others understand what went wrong.

wendelenn

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »
I was actually going to just post and ask if there was any way we could get a one sentence reason why a topic was locked as the last post before locking it. It is helpful for those newer, even if we are not an original poster, to see why someone's topic was locked. Sometimes it is obvious (if it is long and heated) and sometimes there's a closing post explaining - but a few the last week or so are just locked with no explanation. If everyone sees why it might help to prevent the same thing in the future?

I agree.  I was just looking at the "let her shave her legs" thread which seemed to be progressing in a relatively civilized and interesting fashion, and it was just locked--I have no clue why.
"I don't mean to be rude", he began, in a tone that threatened rudeness in every syllable.

"--yet sadly, accidental rudeness occurs alarmingly often," Dumbledore finished the sentence gravely.  "Best to say nothing at all."

penelope2017

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »
I just came back to post the same thing to illustrate an example of what I'm talking about - the shaving legs thread. It's not politics or religion and it didn't appear to have any personal attacks or anything.

That thread is exactly the type of thing that made me ask this question in the first place.

Can anyone tell us what happened there?

ch1pch0p

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 12:45:39 PM »
I just came back to post the same thing to illustrate an example of what I'm talking about - the shaving legs thread. It's not politics or religion and it didn't appear to have any personal attacks or anything.

That thread is exactly the type of thing that made me ask this question in the first place.

I believe the question had been answered to death. At the point where the thread was locked, people were just sharing personal experiences and no longer offering advice to the original poster anymore.

caranfin

• Super Hero!
  • I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »

I believe the question had been answered to death. At the point where the thread was locked, people were just sharing personal experiences and no longer offering advice to the original poster anymore.

But that happens in lots of threads that don't end up being locked (I haven't read the thread in question). I agree with the others that a simple explanation would be very helpful - not just for curiosity's sake, but to give an example of what not to do. Just something short like "locked due to politcal content" or "locked because the OP was discovered to be a troll," etc.
He was not at all afraid to be killed in nasty ways.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:18:09 PM »
I wonder if it veered more into parenting advice, and not etiquette advice? Just a guess.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »

Please use the "search" function to find previously discussed topics.  Why threads are locked has been addressed before by me or other mods on this particular board:

Under the forum rules, it clearly states that moderators will take whatever actions they deem necessary for the overall health of the forum and not feel compelled to explain why.  After years of the forum prospering because of the mods (and we are very fortunate they serve this forum with integrity), no one should expect them to have to answer to members for their moderation actions.  Closing or removing threads is done for the overall health of the forum and should be viewed as a subtle way of saying, "Move along, folks.  There is nothing more to see (or say) here."

And if the reason for the thread being locked is not obvious, it's probably because there are other issues involved that are really no one else's business.