Author Topic: another good one  (Read 4413 times)

kymom3

another good one
« on: July 10, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »
Co-worker just related this incident:  She lives downtown and she said that a good friend of hers asked co-worker if she could park her car at co-worker's house, then co-worker could drive friend and friend's bf to downtown event.  The event will be about a mile from co-worker's house.  Friend's reasoning is that it is soooo crowded downtown and she would have to pay to park.  As co-worker told me:  if you have already bought expensive tickets to event, what is another $5 for parking!  It is NOT crowded downtown and there are several huge parking lots attached to venue.  Co-worker said No, that won't be possible!

sisbam

Re: another good one
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
Wait, was  co-worker going to the event with them as well?

Not from what I'd gathered; otherwise, that would be rude...

Or, co-worker could have said "Yes, if you'll pay for the gas I'll be using..."

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 09:34:30 AM »
Let me guess -- this is in a place where a mile is not regarded as a walkable distance?

I recently had to attend an all-day event in a city where it would have cost me 20 or so to park for the day. A friend of mine who lives about 2 miles from the city centre offered to let me park in her driveway, and I walked into town and back.

haggis for the soul

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »
Co-worker asked your friend to drive herself and a friend to an event near your friend's home that your friend wasn't going to herself? 

kymom3

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »
Sorry, I just checked back here!  Yes, friend asked co-worker for ride to event that co-worker was not planning to attend.

And yes, this is a town where walking more than a block is considered weird!  (Even with $4.00 gas)

SoCarl

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 02:16:00 AM »
Let me guess -- this is in a place where a mile is not regarded as a walkable distance?

I'm 58 years old, I've been around, and I have yet to encounter such a place.

cahuswife

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

I live in Southern California, and it is indeed such a place here.  It's a combination of heat, smog, often large structures (like freeways) blocking a direct path, and culture.  I commonly see people drive from one store to another in the same center.  We're talking maybe 200 feet or less.  It happens far too much to be a health issue.  I've shocked people by *gasp* walking from in front of Target, down past Petsmart and Office Depot to get to the frozen yogurt shop (I use those stores just for comparison as they're pretty common).

SoCarl

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 02:42:32 AM »

I live in Southern California, and it is indeed such a place here.  It's a combination of heat, smog, often large structures (like freeways) blocking a direct path, and culture.  I commonly see people drive from one store to another in the same center.  We're talking maybe 200 feet or less.  It happens far too much to be a health issue.  I've shocked people by *gasp* walking from in front of Target, down past Petsmart and Office Depot to get to the frozen yogurt shop (I use those stores just for comparison as they're pretty common).

I also live in SoCal, and the only place I don't care to walk is the freeway.

iambe

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 05:29:16 PM »
I live in So Cal and there are a lot of places I won't walk for safety reasons. I have no problem walking from one end of the shopping center to the other, however.