Author Topic: Is it OK to serve two versions of the same dish?  (Read 2642 times)

kiero

Is it OK to serve two versions of the same dish?
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »
I like food with flavour and I also like spicy food.  DH and I know a couple who seems to avoid flavour at all costs.  WE want to have them over for supper and not just order the pizza from the same crappy place. 

So this brings me to my questions.  In my family there are often two versions of something served.  A normal version for the adults and a less spicy one (or in some other way different) one for the kids.  Like if I had my sister and her kids over for supper and I made shake n bake - it would be perfectly normal for me to make one with a bunch of spices added to the mix and some pieces of normal.

It is OK to do this with friends?  I know it's OK to serve meat in varying levels of doneness - because not everyone lives their steak at most rare.  But is it OK to put down two dishes of chilli and have one be spicy and not be. 

I don't want to insult them.  I just have no idea what I would cook which would let me have fun cooking (the whole point in my mind) and produce something they will be happy eating. 

SunkissableOne

Re: Is it OK to serve two versions of the same dish?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:50:04 PM »
I don't think you'd be doing anything wrong.  I know lots of people who do things like that.  For instance:  I have a friend who, when inviting people over for spaghetti always makes sauce with meat and sauce without meat.  I think it's nice of you to take your friend's tastes into consideration.

jibby

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
I think two dishes would be great, and I'll admit that I've done it myself.  My husband and brother must believe in Killer Tomatoes because they will *not* eat a whole or partial tomato.  Tomato sauce is okay as long as there are no chunks of tomato to be seen.  I routinely make two different versions of meals for DH and me.  It's no extra work...I just take his part out before the dish is done.   ;) 

Plus, having a spicier version of your dish allows your guests to be a little more adventurous, if they choose.  They might eventually find something new that they like.  We've found this to be true with another couple with whom we rotate dinners. 

I hope this makes sense...I am suffering from major cold medicine hangover today.

kathrynne

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 02:24:51 PM »
Nothing wrong with that at all, especially if it's obvious which is the three-alarm chili, which the 5-alarm chili and which my Mom would consider fine (tomato sauce that's had "chili pepper" said over the pot).

I greatly prefer spinach lasagna to that with meat, but will generally make one of each to keep happy those who are freaked out by green stuff in their pasta.

Variety is wonderful when you're in a position to provide it.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 02:32:35 PM »
It is definately okay to do this, especially with friends.  My friends and I love cooking and eating together, so we try to go for everyone's tastes.  I'm usually the one who asks for non-spicy food, so I am very happy when my friends do go out of their way to make a small bit that is non-spicy.  So, try it, as they'll probably like it.

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 11:24:58 PM »
I have a friend who always makes a less spicy version of her guacamole for me since I can't handle the amout of hot peppers she puts in the big bowl! So definitely do two dishes. You can just say you weren't sure how much spice they like, so you thought you'd do two. Hopefully they'll appreciate your thought, and maybe they'll try the spicer version for good measure.

tiggnduff

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:44:15 AM »
I think it is an absolutely perfect idea.  It keeps everyone happy and everyone is able to eat what they want.  In fact I do this often as I do not like spicy dishes but my oldest son and husband do.  I have not made a chili in this house that has not been divided and split so that I can keep my "bland yeach chili" as my husband calls it and then can make a nice spicy pot for him and whoever wants it.  I think it is perfect etiquette for any host to cook to not only their tastes but keep their guests tastes in mind as well.

Karen

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 06:57:06 AM »
In my household we have two people who can handle moderately spiced things, and two chili-heads.  Dishes are usually made to accomodate the moderates and the chili-heads add extra heat as desired.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Lunadiana75

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
I thank you sound like aconsiderate hostess :)

Another option might be making a less spicy version for all, then putting out chilis and spices that people can add to their liking. 

kiero

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »
I thank you sound like aconsiderate hostess :)

Another option might be making a less spicy version for all, then putting out chilis and spices that people can add to their liking. 

Most spices taste much better when they are cooked in.  Like with the chilli example.  If you just add chilli powder at the table it tastes raw and harsh.  If it has a chnce to stew for a while then it melds in and tastes much better.  That's why I am reluctant yo do things like that. 

It's just really hard to think of a dish which can be cooked with a less spicy option.  Basically everything I cook is spicy and ment to be that way and would be really bland or gross with the spice omitted. 

lovinAZ

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:06:55 AM »
I agree with the others -- two versions would be fine.  DH and I had a big picnic over the summer with a Mexican food theme.  We had taco meat that was made from hamburger and taco "meat" that was made from fake ground meat (soy) -- I don't eat meat, and quite a few attendees were vegetarian or vegan, though there were quite a few adamant carnivores (though I'd be surprised if they could have told the difference, really), so everyone was happy  :)

Austin Annie

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:08:24 AM »
I think that's a great idea to serve two dishes to make everyone comfortable.  I agree with the other poster who said to say something like "we weren't sure how much spice you'd like..." 

But definitely avoid saying anything derogatory about their tastes, like "we know you can't handle anything with flavor..."  Not that you would, I just needed to get that off my chest, because sometimes people treat me like I'm a "wimp" because I don't like super-spicy things (I actually love spicy stuff, just not anything with names like "five-alarm" or "fire in the hole").

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »
I think it's absolutely fine, in fact, I've done it myself a few times.  For example, we have a few vegetarian friends (who are ok with dairy), so a couple of times (once for a baby shower and another time for a dinner party), I made two baked ravioli dishes - one with beef ravioli and another with cheese ravioli.   The mariana sauce and everything else was the same.  It was a good way to feed everyone basically the same thing, but with an option to omit meat if desired.  Nobody had any problem with this as far I know!  I believe two versions of the same dish is perfectly acceptable, perhaps even preferable.

~ Cristen

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 12:33:20 PM »
Yep, I agree too...it's completely fine!  There are a couple of people in my family who don't like onions, a couple others who don't like mushrooms.

Anything that onions or mushrooms will be added to is divided, and some left without.

It's easy and everyone is happy!

Mikayla

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
I think it's a great idea.  It's also fun sometimes when there are huge disparities in taste to serve foods that can be customized.  Like with chili, you could make a hot and a mild variety, and then get some cute condiment bowls and put out onions, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, etc. 

Another option would be something like fajitas, where you wouldn't even need to make separate versions of the meat - if people wanted a hotter flavor, you could simply dump some jalapenos (or worse!) in your condiment dishes.