Author Topic: Yes I'm fat ... and  (Read 4551 times)

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
Yes I'm fat ... and
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »
I'm pregnant!

Granted, I'm not a small girl, and I never was. I have gotten better about taking charge of my weight and even managed to halt the rapid gain. I know when things aren't going in the right direction and I've learned how to do my own course correction.

Since getting pregnant, my whole world has changed food-wise. For the very first time I actually have a metabolism, not to mention a functioning hunger switch. It's truly lovely. I'm hoping this stays even after pregnancy. (But I'm not holding my breath.)

Cue to last night.

DH and I are grocery shopping. I'm trying to figure out what bagel I can actually keep down (2nd trimester and still nauseous in the mornings ... lovely ...) and DH convinces me to try one of the "healthier" options. We have a long-standing joke of DH saying to me, "It's hard to keep you healthy!"

I laugh, and then Nosey Lady who's walking nears us chimes in, "Oh yes, I've lost thirty pounds all by myself by eating healthy." She then begins to lecture me on what I need to do/eat in order to get "healthy."

Yes, I'm not small. (See above.) And yes, that's fairly obvious. Worse, I feel huge and I don't look pregnant. Somewhere in my addled brain I'm convinced that once I look pregnant, I won't feel so bad about feeling huge. This lady's lecture wasn't helping. (And frankly, none of it was new information to me ... not that she knew that of course.)

So I interrupted. "I'm pregnant."

Nosey Lady just looked at me and said, "Oh, you should follow your doctor's advice then." And we were finally able to walk away.

Gee, thanks lady.  ::)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Re: Yes I'm fat ... and
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 04:21:59 PM »
When she gets to a stopping point, break in with a cute little diatribe about how you learned how to be polite from EHell and lecture her on the things she needs to do/say to be "polite", starting with avoiding any "interesting assumptions."

Oxymoroness

• Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »
That would be funny!  >:D

Fortunately, look of, "Oh..." on her face was enough.  ::)

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 01:22:08 AM »
One of the myriad reasons I carry mace.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

LadyofMaine

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:35:47 AM »
Extra points if your husband had chimed in  "and so am I". >:D

haggis for the soul

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
Pregnant or not, I'd just give the glare o' death and walk away from a total stranger lecturing me about anything.

sisbam

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:02:41 PM »
Some people... ::)

But may your pregnancy get better and your baby be happy and healthy!

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2008, 12:37:23 PM »
When she gets to a stopping point, break in with a cute little diatribe about how you learned how to be polite from EHell and lecture her on the things she needs to do/say to be "polite", starting with avoiding any "interesting assumptions."

No, no, no. Please don't say that. This place is a safe place to be away from the usual crowd.

Oxymoroness

• Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2008, 01:28:13 PM »
Thanks everyone. I can use a good chuckle ...  ;D

I'm sure I'll adjust, body-image and all. I'm just hoping I don't have too many more run-ins, my fuse is a tad shorter these days, and I'm not loving heat right now ...  :P

Does Etiquette Hell take rainchecks?  ;D

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:02:13 AM »

No, no, no. Please don't say that. This place is a safe place to be away from the usual crowd.

OK, OK, sorry. I was kidding, I promise. :P