Author Topic: I can't actually thank you, so I'm going to do it here  (Read 2124 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
I can't actually thank you, so I'm going to do it here
« on: March 12, 2007, 04:21:06 PM »
Yesterday, I went to visit my parents for the afternoon.  As I was leaving, the weather turned.  About 1/2 a mile from their house, the hail and torrential rain started.  I pulled off (I was still within their neighborhood) and called Mom to let her know that I was stopped (safely) and that I wasn't driving until I could see again.

When I thought it was safe again, I pulled out onto the highway.  Turns out, it wasn't as safe as I'd thought.  Not only was the rain really bad and visibility really poor, but the water was a little over the road in some places.  By then, it was completely dark.

But, I couldn't pull over at that point.  I was on a highway and wasn't in the best place to stop on the side of the road.  So, I ended up following (very slowly) a pickup truck.  He was following an 18-wheeler.  I decided that, although it still wasn't perfectly safe, I was better off following them, because the 18-wheeler probably had better visibility (and experience) than I had.

We all had our flashers on.  This was good, because it was dark, and it made it easier for other cars to see us.  At one point, I don't think we were in our lane; I couldn't see the line anymore.  But, I was right behind the pickup.  If we went off the road, we'd both be off the road, I guess.

I followed that pickup truck until the first gas station I came to (about 20 or so miles away - the area where my parents live doesn't have a lot of development around it).  At that point, I pulled in, called my parents again, told them that I couldn't drive anymore for a while because I was shaking so badly and because I couldn't see the road and that I was waiting a few minutes to see if the rain slowed a bit.

It finally got to the point that I felt that I could drive again.  By then, I wanted to be home.

It took about 2 hours or more for me to calm down when I got home.  I was shaking uncontrollably for quite a while.  About an hour after I got home, I started crying.  I guess it took that long for the shock to wear off.

I will never ever drive in that kind of weather again.  I didn't know it was coming, but I'm going to watch the news before I start out somewhere next time.  It's absolutely a miracle that I got home safely.  Literally a miracle.  God was there with me.

But, I think there was an angel there, too.  The person in the pickup may not have known I was following him.  But, I kinda think he must have.  When he slowed, I slowed.  When he changed lanes, I changed lanes.  Always with enough space between us that I wasn't on his tail or trying to make things dangerous for him.

I can't actually do this, so I want to do it here.  Maybe, somehow, there will be a blessing on this person even if I can't say it to him in person....

But Mr. Pickup Driver, it was because of you that I was able to drive in that wind, rain and those horrible conditions.  You led me and allowed me to follow you.  You kept me going when I just wanted to pull over and give up.  You kept your flashers on, so I could always see you and know that everything was ok ahead of me.  I didn't want to lose sight of you, because you were keeping me going.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you did last night.  If I could, I'd give you the biggest hug possible.

oogyda

Re: I can't actually thank you, so I'm going to do it here
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 01:54:25 PM »
I know how you feel.  I was once in the exact same situation.........except I was directly behind the semi. 

I, too pulled off as soon as I could and when I started out again, I could not believe what I was seeing.  In the next 5 - 10 miles or so, I counted 12 semis and one motorhome on their sides.  There were gusts of wind clocked at 74 mph!
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Holly

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 05:03:42 PM »
Not to be picky, but here I go...It could easily have been Ms. Pickup Driver. Heck, it may even have been a woman you know!

Whomever it was, I'm glad they helped you get home safe.

girlmusic

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »
Your post brought tears to my eyes! I have done that too - followed a larger vehicle in horrible weather so I could get home safely. I take this opportunity to thank the kind soul on Route 76 in April 2005 who drove slowly and carefully in front of me allowing me to follow them when all I could see was rain.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 04:27:52 PM »
I have a thank-you to offer as well, although I got to thank the person who helped me.  I'd just finished up classes for the day at college and was about to drive home.  It had been snowing for hours, and the parking lot was six inches deep and getting deeper, so I trudged over to my car, started it and cleaned it off.  A guy in a pickup truck was plowing out the parking lot, and saw me get my car ready to travel.  He came over to me and told me that the road to the highway was not plowed and so not safe, but I had nowhere on campus to stay so I had to make my way home even if the going was slow.  He said, "I can't let you try to drive on that road.  Sit tight for a minute." and he got back in his truck.  He came back and told me to wait for ten minutes to leave.  About ten minutes later, a huge road plow truck went by on the roadway, and he stopped while the pickup truck guy cleared a path for me and two other cars to fall in behind it.  We followed the road plow to the highway and I was able to get home easily from there.

I never knew if the pickup truck guy specifically called out the plow or just found out when it was going to go by, but his good deed meant three people had a much safer drive.  I never did get a chance to thank to plow driver other than a wave.

Virg

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 05:15:15 PM »
Virg, what a wonderful story! :)

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 05:39:14 PM »
Dottyg, Virg, those are both great stories.  Thanks for sharing them.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC