Author Topic: So now we are a taxi service?  (Read 4063 times)

CreteGirl

So now we are a taxi service?
« on: July 21, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »
My DH, who usually has absolutely no problem saying no, somehow got himself roped into being a taxi service tomorrow for my DS's girlfriend, who needs a ride home from band practice tomorrow night.  At 9:00 p.m.  Which will entail about 90 minutes of round trip driving for my husband.  Which will get him home much later than our typical bedtime of 9:00 p.m.  And use a ton of gas.

Let me just say that we are not at all close with the girlfriend's family, in fact I would not recognize them if I passed them on the street.  At first I thought there must of been some type of family emergency to necessitate them asking someone else to pick up their child from band practice.  But no, they are just all busy with routine things like taking a class or working.  Who does this??

And I know the girlfriend will not be appreciative of this.  Yesterday, after taking her out for a meal and having her over to our house, I drove her home.  It was just her and I, as my son had other guests at our house to entertain.  When she got out of my car she left without so much as saying thank you, much less good by.  She simply got out of the car and closed the door.  She is a nice girl, she just has not been taught manners.

I don't think my DH should renege on his promise to pick her up tomorrow, but I am certainly going to tell him to say no without offering any explanation the next time they ask.

Olivia

Re: So now we are a taxi service?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »
What does your son think of all of this?  I hope he and the rest of your family can be a good influence on this poor girl. 

CreteGirl

Re: So now we are a taxi service?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:37:24 PM »
He actually does try to tell her what is acceptable in our family.  We expect her to greet us when she comes into our home and say thank you when we take her somewhere or drive her around.  I just find it odd that this does not come automatically to her.  I can't imagine ever leaving a car without saying goodbye to the person who drove me somewhere, or not thanking someone who took me out for a meal.  My son was taught these things at a very young age.

The rest of my son's friends are so polite, so her lack of manners really stands out.  She really is a nice girl, she is not doing it to be purposely rude.  It just appears that common courtesy was not taught to her.