Author Topic: Bad dinner party dishes  (Read 3342 times)

Pixie

Re: Bad dinner party dishes
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 05:58:35 PM »
Corn on the cob.... unless its a BBQ!

sloppy Joes, made-rites, and such.  Tacos could even fall into this list of foods easily dropped!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 06:42:25 PM »
Anything messy, going along with the herd here.  That means long pasta, anything with bones, lobster or crab still in the shell, tacos.

Also, anything that is alien to the culture of an honored guest. 

Two notes on the first point: 

• The sports-nut ex married the next woman he got involved with and their reception's food was all ribs, wings, and similar food.  No utensils and very small plates. 
  • The hostess of the St. Patrick's Day party more or less vetoed the idea of calling out for wings from Dallas BBQ because of the bones (The party is casual).  I had had some delivered for this party two years ago and while they were enthusiastically eaten the bones make a mess and aren't safe for her cat.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 11:38:17 AM »
Possibly offal, unless you know your guests' tastes. Some people get squicked out by brains or heart being on the table (though personally I don't).

As an aside, when I was 14 and went on the school's German exchange, I stayed with an absolutely lovely German schoolgirl ("Ingrid") and her equally nice grandparents. I was 100% vegetarian then (as opposed to the "99.5% veggie-but-will-eat-free-range-meat" that I am now), and they were very meat-centric in their cooking. But they did a great job of feeding me meals I could eat.

One dinnertime I was happily tucking into my pasta and sauce, and was making polite conversation with my fairly limited German (the girl's grandparents only spoke a little English). For something to say, I pointed at the roast meat in the centre of the table and said, "That smells lovely - what meat is it?"

The grandmother looked a little flustered, and said [translated by Ingrid], "Oh, just meat, no need to worry. Are you OK with it on the table? We can move it..."

I replied, "Oh no no no, I don't want you to move it. It looks very nice [I was trying to show that I didn't mind it being up there and was just being curious - that backfired!] - I was just wondering what it was?"

The grandmother smiled, but looked slightly uncomfortable and didn't say anything else, so I decided to drop the subject of the mysterious meat.

At which point Ingrid's grandfather leaned across the table and said with the most wicked grin, "Is bunny-rabbit!" (Complete with fingers-making-ears action! :D)

I started laughing then, and said, "Is that why you wouldn't tell me?"

Grandmother relayed via Ingrid that they had been worried, me being not only vegetarian but fluffy-animal-loving-English too, that I would leap up screaming or otherwise freak out at the thought of Mr. Flopsy being served up for the evening meal. Once they'd established that it didn't bother me, everyone around the table cracked up laughing too.

Bless them. It was a thoughtful thing to do! They were laughing about it for the rest of my visit. ;D     

They didn't know much about English people, and had also stockpiled many packets of tea for me on the assumption that, being English, I would need it practically on an intravenous drip. I thought that was a lovely gesture too. :)

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 04:04:44 PM »
Wolfiesara, that's a really sweet story!