News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• April 30, 2016, 02:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .  (Read 12414 times)

Germane Jackson

« on: July 23, 2008, 06:53:09 PM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:32:45 AM by Germane Jackson »

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Re: Hurt and embarrassed over an assumption
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »
I'm so sorry that you had to go through that!  Some people have no clue, although that's not an excuse. 

((((((((((((((((hugs!!)))))))))))))))))))

Thank you for caring about the kitties and taking care of them!!!

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Shoo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:18:01 PM »
Kittybass, your post makes me so sad.  And mad, too.

I certainly hope your boss apologized to you.  Are you still volunteering at the animal shelter?  I can't believe they'd insult someone donating their time and energy for free.  It's unconscienable.

Minmom3

• Not super patient these days.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »
Could you put on sunscreen so the tanned parts wouldn't be quite so distinct from the not-tanned parts?  Is the not-tanning from the exema or from vitiligo?  My grandmother had vitiligo on her face, neck and chest, and she favored a lot of low necked garments.  So, it showed.  She ignored it, but she also didn't do outdoor work like you do, nor did she volunteer with small minded people like you do.  Good cause, just some chumps where you are.  My husband has psoriasis on his elbows, hands and scalp, and he has it badly.  Not pretty, and not something he can do anything at all about. 

I'm sorry they've hurt your feelings so badly, you must feel like somebody walked up and slapped you.  Not a lot of fun.  I hope you have opened the eyes of the silly people you work with.  Surely they would have thought that if you were that dirty, you'd also be that odorous, and - you aren't? ? ? ?   ???
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!  True fact: Eggs can be just as hard to unload as zucchini!

geordicat

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:43:12 PM »
I'm sorry this happened to you. It sucks that people are so hooked on appearances and will think the worst instead of seeing what's really going on.

big hugs to you
Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

RedRuby

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
That's horrible! I can't believe they'd talk about you like that! You said you had already explained it months ago, so if they had any questions they should have asked you or done a search on the internet to find out more about your condition. I'm truly sorry you had to go through that.

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »
KittyBass -

I sentence the idiots to a thousand whacks with the ClueBat.

And many many hugs to you. I have a good friend with vitiligo and a coworker with severe eczema, so I understand, second hand, your pain.

Vorbau

PS my 4 kitties send you lots of love and purrs as well!
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Brentwood

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:13:36 PM »
I'm so sorry. How hurtful that must have been! ((HUG))

Alida

• Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:16:23 PM »
{{{Kitty}}} Standing in line with my cluebat to get at them.

AprilRenee

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 09:19:51 AM »
Don't let closed minded people get to you. You are doing a wonderful thing. You ARE beautiful.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:24:30 AM »
I'm so sorry, some people can be so hurtful and clueless (((HUGS)). You are doing a wonderful job with those kitties. I don't think I could do it I'd want to take them all home and my cat wouldn't like that one bit.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »
I feel a little bit better about it today, I'm not going to give up the animal shelter , or stop wearing clothes that show my arms and legs.

I'm so glad. People just don't think about what they're doing or saying. They can be the nicest people in the world, but they can be utterly clueless.

sparksals

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:20:43 PM »
I'm so sorry you were treated so horribly.  You have every right to be upset and hurt.  What was that woman thinking?

It takes alot of courage for you to continue to work there.  Even though they hurt you terribly, you are thinking first of the kitties for whom you are caring.  That says alot about the kind of person you are inside. 

Personally, while the woman has apologized, you were discriminated against based on your personal appearance because of a medical condition.  Since you are a volunteer, it's even worse you were treated that way.  If I were in your shoes, I would write a formal letter of complaint to the head of the organization to let them know exactly how you were treated. 

reddevil

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:09:18 PM »
I'm sorry that you were treated that way, OP.  I have excema on my arms, legs, neck, and sometimes face.  I get lots of comments and actually had a woman squirt her scented lotion on my arms to "help my dry skin" (which led to a week of pain, bleeding, and hives when my wackjob skin went CRAZY). 

Keep on truckin'....there are plenty of bad people out there but even more good.  By the way, I got an excema product tip from a waitress with excema who waited on my table...I'll pass it on, PM me.  GREAT PRODUCT! 

And that was a good experience with my yicky spots!  They do happen!

Chicki

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »
First, big HUGS to you for all you do.

What bothers me most about this is that the boss and the head volunteer both knew it was a medical condition, but since they couldn't remember what it was they continued to let others talk about it and assume bad things.  They should have come to you when the first whisper started and re-educated themselves.  Both handled it badly.

Of course evil Chicki would have said "Well, at least your assumption that I was dirty was wrong.  My assumption that you're brain dead was totally right on!!"  >:D