News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 25, 2016, 10:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .  (Read 12975 times)

JoieGirl7

Re: Hurt and embarrassed over an assumption
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »
If you want to try wearing socks, go to REI--they have socks that will wick away moisture from your feet.

I am not suggesting this as a way to hide your condition, just that it might help it if you are wearing shoes at all.

My husband had flare ups of this condition for years--I am not sure why he doesn't have them as often now.  He has always used steroidal creams and he likes to eat spicy foods that might have natural anti-inflammatories in them.

THe big problem is that I love the beach and while he will come TO the beach, he cannot set foot ON the beach or in the water--it will start an outbreak.

Do you find it ironic that at an animal shelter, it was the humans that displayed the worst of pack behavior?
 >:D

They should be ashamed...

LadyofMaine

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 09:51:09 PM »
Keep in mind they have a big problem that is not your problem.

JoieGirl7

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 11:53:17 PM »
If you want to try wearing socks, go to REI--they have socks that will wick away moisture from your feet.

I am not suggesting this as a way to hide your condition, just that it might help it if you are wearing shoes at all.

My husband had flare ups of this condition for years--I am not sure why he doesn't have them as often now.  He has always used steroidal creams and he likes to eat spicy foods that might have natural anti-inflammatories in them.

THe big problem is that I love the beach and while he will come TO the beach, he cannot set foot ON the beach or in the water--it will start an outbreak.

Do you find it ironic that at an animal shelter, it was the humans that displayed the worst of pack behavior?
 >:D

They should be ashamed...

The beach is a total no-go for me as well, just the thought makes my feet itch, ha. My skin goes through phases where it's tolerable and phases where it's really bad, but I think stress is a major factor in that. Like I said, the last time it was painful was a few weeks before my wedding earlier this year. The skin on the bottoms of my feet was just peeling like crazy and then blisters popped out of the places where the skin was missing.

As far as the missing pigment goes, there isn't a whole lot I can do about that. There are some parts on my legs where it looks 'streaky', like mud dribbling down my legs, but anyone can tell up close that it's a skin disorder and not filth...well anyone that wasn't an ignorant moron.

You're right ..I never expected that treatment to come from an animal shelter. I do expect it from the general public though. I just remembered...months ago there was a cat who had a really bad skin condition. She had sores on her body and hardly any hair..and everyone loved her..and she got adopted after only 3 weeks there.

It makes you wonder about people who can have empathy for critters and then none for their fellow volunteers--particularly when aside from how it might look, this condition is horrible to endure for the person who has it.

I have heard that cayenne pepper can help--obviously staying out of stressful situations (ha!) and I think docs try to come up with new treatments.  But, seeing my DH go through it, I know how horrible it can be.

He also takes BP meds now, so I don't know if that helps keep it at bay--it does make it so that he can't be out in the sun either.

So, I go out there and sit in the waves--alone--sigh.  For me, its a natural habitat--I could live in seawater, my contact lenses stay nice and moist--I love it!

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't be in it.  We are going to see if lake water is a little better.

But, he used to wear cotton gloves with medication on his hands.  And the socks I was recommending are good for anyone who doesn't like that wet foot feeling in their shoes.  I think the brand is Thorlio's or something like that.  They wick the moisture away--great for skiing, hiking--it lets the skin breathe.

I hope you can overcome this--not only the disease but the way people treat you.  The woman who started this sounds like a troublemaker more than just ignorant.  Although some people who are of an older generation were taught things as children about things skin conditions and that may be where her bias comes from.

I think you should explain it to her and explain the hurt it caused you.  Or someone else should.  If the director talks to her and makes you out of bounds, she might just find someone else to pick on.  And given the dire straights of these poor animals, the focus should be on them and not on creating drama.

But, I guess there is always drama wherever humans are present.  I'll the kitties don't give a hoot what your skin looks like--they are just happy for some love!

I was at our shelter here a few days ago.   I got kind of caught up in the whirlwind of saving a particular older dog.  He is coming home with me next Tuesday after he his "surgery."  And then I have to have him treated for HW!  Joy!

But, he is as old as my dog and I think they will be good friends.  This dog that I am taking home has a permanent black scar all the way across his face where someone put a wire around his snout to keep the muzzle on him.  It's a deep, black scar.  But, I think they were just ignorant and loved him otherwise because he has a good disposition.

I am just going to tell people that he used to be in a motorcycle gang!

Good luck!  Maybe if this woman can learn some compassion for people who suffer from this, it will save the next sufferer from suffering from her insufferability! >:D

wordgirl

• Just bead it
  • Pinterest is the new crack
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 11:53:51 PM »
KittyBass, your co-volunteers are tragically foolish if they can't see the real you. I don't know what's worse, what they assumed or how they handled it.

(((hugs)))

Luna_Moon

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 08:41:26 AM »
(((HUGS)))

My beloved late aunt had terrible psoriasis and eczema, and people were so incredibly cruel. It got to the point that she wouldn't leave the house.

I am in awe of your determination to do right by the poor little kitties who need you so much, even though you were made to feel hurt and ashamed over something that you are obviously caring for as well as any person could.

It constantly stuns me that grown people behave like schoolyard bullies. Forget the ClueBat, those imbeciles need a ClueDozer!

(((MORE HUGS)))

sparksals

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »
Kitty,

Is there another shelter at which you can volunteer?  Honestly, you don't need to be treated like you're a leper!  Not only is it cruel, I think it is against the law.

Luna_Moon

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
Kitty,

Is there another shelter at which you can volunteer?  Honestly, you don't need to be treated like you're a leper!  Not only is it cruel, I think it is against the law.

Seconded. Shelters and rescue organizations are desperate for caring, committed people like yourself. There is no way you should put up with this abuse. You're being much classier than I am - by this point, I'd be asked to be scheduled with HV every volunteer shift and would make her life miserable. Congratulations on truly being the better person here... me included.  :-*

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 01:03:48 PM »
I'm sorry that you were treated that way, OP.  I have excema on my arms, legs, neck, and sometimes face.  I get lots of comments and actually had a woman squirt her scented lotion on my arms to "help my dry skin" (which led to a week of pain, bleeding, and hives when my wackjob skin went CRAZY).

I have psoriasis, and I actively avoid perfume counters and any free lotion attacks for the same reason. My skin reacts to air for Pete's sake, I'm not taking any chances on some goofy "miracle" product.

OP I can relate. The stupid and the ignorant have thought many things about my skin over the years, up to and including thinking that I have leprosy.

Once, I decided to have a little fun with it and managed to convince some idiot girls that I was part lizard.  >:D

Oxymoroness

• Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2008, 01:09:36 PM »
I just remembered...months ago there was a cat who had a really bad skin condition. She had sores on her body and hardly any hair..and everyone loved her..and she got adopted after only 3 weeks there.

I once was best buddies with a cat that drooled and had a horrible skin condition. When I first met him at my friend's house he approached me timidly and I was thrilled that he was friendly so I petted him. He just ate it all up and would hang out around me whenever I was over. My friend was shocked to find me holding him and petting him ... why would anyone touch that cat? He was so gross!

My response was to say that I could relate to his skin condition, besides ... I'd be pretty hungry for attention too if no one was willing to touch me just because I have lousy skin.

LAT

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »
I also volunteer a lot for a nearby shelter, and I often say that if it weren't for having to deal with the people there, it would be completely lovely. :)

Germane Jackson

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2008, 02:38:54 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, even my boss says that. She said that when she took the job she didn't realize that she'd actually have to deal with so many horrible people, as it takes away from the whole reason that everyone is there..to help the shelter animals have a better life...

And an update..I was just got cancelled for  my shift tomorrow via text ,no explanation, just that I was not needed tomorrow but I was still needed for Monday. So that gives me the impression HV is going to be there tomorrow and it's still not sorted. I have worked on Saturdays before and they usually do have extra volunteers on duty to make sure that the adoptable cat areas are all clean and ready before the first customer walks in. Oh well, maybe I'll just sleep in tomorrow morning ;)

sparksals

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2008, 03:20:07 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more, even my boss says that. She said that when she took the job she didn't realize that she'd actually have to deal with so many horrible people, as it takes away from the whole reason that everyone is there..to help the shelter animals have a better life...

And an update..I was just got cancelled for  my shift tomorrow via text ,no explanation, just that I was not needed tomorrow but I was still needed for Monday. So that gives me the impression HV is going to be there tomorrow and it's still not sorted. I have worked on Saturdays before and they usually do have extra volunteers on duty to make sure that the adoptable cat areas are all clean and ready before the first customer walks in. Oh well, maybe I'll just sleep in tomorrow morning ;)

It sure sounds like they put the needs of HV ahead of those of the poor animals in the shelter.

Germane Jackson

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2008, 03:57:25 PM »
That is what is upsetting my boss...the higher ups have put HV on such a pedestal she is on a major ego trip.She can say and do what she wants and nobody will say anything opposing to her.  The other day the shelter supervisor said to my boss, 'well, HV IS the next in command after you' and my boss replied 'Yeah, because YOU GUYS have put her in that position and she's taking it to her head and is trying to tell ME what to do'.

I won't knock what HV does, she cleans faster and more efficiently than anybody else, and she is very good with the cats, she's just not really good with people  She's an older lady and set in her ways so unless a certain hot place freezes over, I don't see her getting a wake up call any time soon.

What would happen if she's in charge and a customer comes in with a bad skin condition, would she turn them away because she couldn't bare to look at them or think they looked too scummy to adopt a pet?

Oxymoroness

• Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »
Evil Oxy would be very tempted to walk over to HV on her new day off and give her a nice, big hug ... and then say, "Oh, is that a spot on your back?"  >:D

Forgive her, Evil Oxy doesn't get out very often.

What would happen if she's in charge and a customer comes in with a bad skin condition, would she turn them away because she couldn't bare to look at them or think they looked too scummy to adopt a pet?

I imagine then the customer would complain and it would be your boss's problem. If your boss has any brains at all she'd make sure HV was in the back rooms as much as possible, whenever possible.

wonderdog

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2008, 09:53:49 AM »
Kitty,

Hugs to you and boos to HV and all the others at the shelter who made an assumption with knowing the facts and complained. what morons. I am happy that you didn't quit. The cats need you.

So many people engage their mouths before they put their brains in gear. On a much lesser note, I was standing in line a store a few months back, waiting to pay. Background: I was Dx with brain cancer Summer 2007. I have been through surgery, radiation and am still on chemo. (But I am alive and kicking yay me!) At any rate, the rads and chemo have made most of my hair fall out, necessating the use of a scarf to cover the thin and bald patches. So I invested in some beautiful scarves which I still wear. anyway as I was standing in line, the woman next to me turns and says "Oh you must be a biker." I just turned to her and used the line "What an interesting assumption on your part." Now there is nothing in my appearance that would suggest I am a "biker." I am a girly girl, and even though I was wearing jeans that day, I was also wearing pink sneakers, a pink & blue scarf, earrings and a gold bracelet, in addition to make up and lip gloss. She realized she had stuck her foot in her mouth and spluttered "well I just thought" I said to her "No that's your problem. You didn't think. You just blurted out the first thing that came to mind." It was now my turn at the cashier so I didn't say anything else to her. I just hope that people like her and HV grab a clue at some point in their lives.