Author Topic: cupcakes in ice cream cones  (Read 2174 times)

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
    • Seven Archangels: Annihilation
cupcakes in ice cream cones
« on: March 16, 2007, 07:38:02 AM »
Help?  We're having a bake sale, and I remembered how much little kids love to eat cupcakes when they're made in those standable ice cream cones.  But apparently no one around here ever did that (is that a New York thing only?)

I seem to remember there's something you need to do to the cone or put at the bottom of it in order to make it work out well. Would anyone here have any tips about making them in order to prevent disaster and add a lot of fun to the bake sale? 

(I know the other moms will kill me for selling room-temperature ice cream cones and "making" their kids beg for them, but you know, we need the money, so I'm willing to take that risk.)

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

Tabris is on indefinite hiatus. You can still visit me at my weblog. Thank you.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
Re: cupcakes in ice cream cones
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:46:37 AM »
The only thing I've heard is to use a muffin pan to help keep them upright.   

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:50:40 AM »
http://homeparents.about.com/od/cakesanddesserts/r/cupcake.htm

This is what I found.  I hope that it helps. 

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 08:44:03 AM »
Thanks!

I was wondering how you keep them upright. I figured I'd get them in the oven and they'd all topple and I'd have some soupy mess in the pan.  ::) that's the way I normally operate.

According to the link, you just stick them in cones and bake away. Nothing weird about it.

This is going to be cool. You can only sell a cupcake for about fifteen cents at a bake sale, but I'm betting these will go for fifty cents each because the kids will pester their parents. *evil*

"The hunger for love is much more difficult to ease than the hunger for bread." ~Mother Teresa

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 10:31:53 AM »
Too fun!! For Niece3's 8th birthday party, we made these, frosted them with plain white icing and let the kids decorate their own from a selection of sprinkles, candies, icing-in-squeeze-tubes.

It was a hit - don't know if that would work for your fundraiser or not.
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Psykogrl

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 02:20:03 PM »
My mom used to make these for me to bring to school for birthdays :)

I can't rememver if she stood them up and filled them, or filled the cupcake pan then put the cones on it upside down halfway through baking... I'll have to look it up cause now it's got me thinking  ;)

amiboo

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:23:25 PM »
filled the cupcake pan then put the cones on it upside down halfway through baking

Yes, I was just about to post to say that you don't put the cake batter in the cone you put the batter in the muffin tin and then turn the cone upside down on top of the batter.  I do it as soon as I put the batter in the pan and push it down a bit to get some connection between the batter and the cone. 

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 05:06:14 PM »
THat doesn't make as much sense to me because the ones I've seen have been rounded on top, not squared off, and the cupcake filling has gone all the way to the bottom of the cone. I can't imagine that happening if the cone was baked atop the cupcake.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 05:12:04 PM »
Ours were baked with the cones standing in the muffin tins.

I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 05:54:36 PM »
We just stood ours up in muffin tins, BUT...

Wen we iced them, we used almost a "glaze" icing, so it made a hard "shell" and had some drips that hardened and looked like real ice cream, we put sprinkles on top like an ice cream cone too.  (You dipped the top of the cone into the glaze and just let it sit standing in the cone.)  We did it from pink, white and brown.

freakyfemme

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 11:41:38 PM »
I've seen those done with either icing (Canadians don't say "frosting," lol), or Cool Whip, with sprinkles.  Another thing you can do is do the reverse, and fill a cupcake liner with ice cream, freeze it solid, and put icing and sprinkles on top so it looks like a cupcake.....but they should be served with spoons, so people don't hurt their teeth biting into them.

jibby

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
Tabris, has your bake sale already passed?  I just saw this thread.  My mom always poured the cake batter into the cone (which was put in the muffin tin, as previously suggested), then wrapped the top of the cone with foil.  She left the foil open at the top, and just let it stick straight up from the sides of the cone.  It allowed for taller cake tops on the cone.  'Cause there is no such thing as too much cake - yum.  :P

Tabris

• Philangelus
  • Super Hero!
  • I rock!
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 06:36:56 PM »
The bake sale has passed, but the cupcake cones were a huge hit! All of them sold.

We had problems with one batch of them not cooking all the way through, so those didn't go to the sale (obviously). We think they were standing a little too closely in the baking pan. But the other ones were terrific. I hadn't thought about the foil, but it's a good idea and I may try that next time. :)

The bake sale raised all the money we needed to install a changing table in our church, so it was a tremendous success.

Thanks!

ZipTheWonder

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »
What I've done successfully is to bake part of the batter in the cone, then bake an equal amount of regular cupcakes.  When everything cools, remove the cupcakes from their papers.  Flip them upside-down and put them on top of the cones, so that the widest part of cupcake sits against the widest part of the cone, and so that it 'narrows' like an ice cream cone would towards the top.  Then frost the upside-down cupcake to the cone.