• March 20, 2018, 11:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: epic fail: shepherd's pie  (Read 5103 times)

Re: epic fail: shepherd's pie
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 12:27:25 AM »
The meat in my shepherd's pie never "sticks".  I brown sliced onions, then add browned mince (lamb or beef) and diced carrot.  Add a cup or so of stock and bubble away while you make the mashed potatoes (use plenty of milk and butter).  If the meat isn't favourful enough, add a teaspoon of marmite, bovril or a little beef stock powder.  When the mashed potatoes are ready, stir in frozen corn and peas to the mince. Make sure that there isn't too much liquid - the mince should be moist but not swimming.  Press the mince down in a casserole dish, then layer potatoes on top.  Whip up the surface of the potatoes with a fork and top with cheese if desired.  Bake in a moderate oven until browned and bubbly (usually 30 mins).

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »
I add lentils to my meat mixture, it makes it cheaper, healthier, helps bind it together and if you cook the lentils in stock you really can't even tell the difference because they will almost dissolve.

So, ground meat of whatever sort, pre-cooked lentils, onions, carrot, celery, then I add tomato sauce, spices and cook the whole thing down.  I always add canned french cut green beans before the potato layer (though you can't get them in England I discovered, so last time I actually spent ages slicing the beans myself because I *needed* it to be just like my mom's!) and then top it with cheese a few minutes before it needs to be taken from the oven.

• Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »
I use chopped onion, egg, and bread crumbs in my shepherd's pie.  It's basically a meatloaf.  The lentils sound like a yummy add, though.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon