Author Topic: What a charming observation  (Read 4639 times)

paladin

What a charming observation
« on: August 06, 2008, 11:48:59 PM »
Is this phrase too snarky, or is it an acceptable response to boorish comments along the lines of "You look tired," or "You look sick," etc?  I'm assuming of course that it's said in a tone of bewilderment or mild disgust rather than outright sarcasm.

I actually used this one on a person who commented that I looked like hadn't gotten enough sleep, and now I'm wondering if it was the right thing to say.  I just wish there were something I could say to people who make these kinds of comments that would clue them in that it is horribly rude to voice unflattering observations like this.  Does anyone have any good responses to these types of comments?

Etikate

Re: What a charming observation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 12:06:05 AM »
I have a hard time imagining someone being able to say this phrase in a way that conveys bewilderment as opposed to hostility, especially since "charming" is being used in a sarcastic way.

Personally, I think that using a more neutral response is the way to go, especially since statements like "you look tired" and "you look sick" are often intended to convey genuine concern.

shadowfox79

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 08:00:16 AM »
I did feel inclined to use something like this once, when I walked into my coworker's office and she immediately cried "You look terrible!" What I actually said was "Oh, thanks."

She did apologise and explain that she meant I looked stressed and overworked, but I was already having a rotten day (probably why I looked terrible) and that just about capped it off.

sisbam

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 08:58:41 PM »
Anyone else remember the Jim Breuer: Hardcore comedy special? He told a story about the time Jack Nicholson guest starred on SNL. Jim and Jack were riding the elevator after a night of taping, and Jack turns to Jim and says, "You know, you look like I feel..."

Jim took it as a compliment...