Forum Administration > Glitches, errors, problems

Staying logged in

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ehelldame:
First, there will be weirdness in the past several days because the databases were being moved, the servers configured, new software added, and the DNS name change getting propagated worldwide.   Some people get access before others but still means it is a construction zone.  If you are seeing a numreic IP address instead of www.etiquettehell.com, I would consider the server change to not be final yet. 

As for the logging in problem, have patience until this whole move is finally, completely done which should be by Tuesday at the latest.   I'm told the log in problem lies with each person's cookies and not the SMF forum software.  I could rename the cookie the forum sets for members but that is a very drastic action to take which will effect everyone.  I'd rather wait and see if the problems resolve themselves once the changeover is finished.

Lisbeth:
I've been able to log in, but I notice that sometimes when I click the post button or another link in the forum to look at other threads, it takes a while to refresh.

I realize the forum is still under construction.  I'm just waiting for all the repairs to be complete.

Ehelldame:

--- Quote from: KeenReader on April 01, 2007, 04:10:01 PM ---I've been able to log in, but I notice that sometimes when I click the post button or another link in the forum to look at other threads, it takes a while to refresh.

I realize the forum is still under construction.  I'm just waiting for all the repairs to be complete.

--- End quote ---

I've been informed the switch from the temporary server to the permanent server is happening tonight.  Even though they claim it will be "transparent", i.e. meaning most people won't be aware of it, it shouldn't surprise anyone if there were some glitch. 

Also, the logging in problem may be that some people are getting in under a numerical IP (http://72.232.159.21/smf)  AND the name (http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf), you need to choose one for the cookie the forum software uses to recognize you.   If anyone keeps coming in by the numeric address, the cookie the forum sets for you will not recognize you when the page changes to a www.etiquettehell.com. 

Also, I enabled cookies on sub domains so that should help some. 

kareng57:
More weirdness!

If I just visit the site normally, I get the "welcome guest, please log in" biz.  But if I decide to change the colour (I decided to look at the blue just out of curiosity) I get the "welcome kareng"!

I'm not saying that it's an incredible pain to have to log-in each time, but I thought this might give you a clue as to where the problem could be.

T'Mar of Vulcan:

--- Quote from: Ehelldame on April 01, 2007, 04:49:51 PM ---I've been informed the switch from the temporary server to the permanent server is happening tonight.  Even though they claim it will be "transparent", i.e. meaning most people won't be aware of it, it shouldn't surprise anyone if there were some glitch. 

--- End quote ---

It's 7:32 a.m. CAT and it looks done. The numerical address is gone and even better - the logging out problem is gone as well! I didn't even have to do anything.

So just to let you know - back to normal and thanks for all the hand-holding on the weekend!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version