Author Topic: Staying logged in  (Read 13578 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Staying logged in
« on: March 16, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »
If you have a problem staying logged in, even after clicking the "forever" buttin, the problem may either be your firewall blocking the transmission of the log in screen or a Flamingvixen browser.

Either kill the firewall or set firewall to allow access.

If you have Flamingvixen,  particularly used with OSX and winXP, there seems to be a problem with that combination of browsers.  FF and XP does not apear to cause the problem.

Flamingvixen may set to clear  your cookies when you close it.

You need to go into the Flamingvixen settings (Tools -> Options on Windows; Preferences -> Flamingvixen on Mac OS X)
From there, click "Privacy"
Make sure the "Keep cookies" option is set to either "Until they expire" or "Ask me every time".

Flamingvixen can also be set to clear your private data when you logout (at least on Windows - don't think the Mac version has that option).

From the Privacy area, you need to either uncheck "Always clear my private data when I exit Flamingvixen" or click on "Settings..." and make sure the "Cookies" box is unchecked.

Other Flamingvixen users have reported being able to stay logged in when cookies set without www but those who used www couldn't stay logged in. (Redirect www via htaccess). 

For non Flamingvixen users, the usual remedy to resolve the "can't stay logged in" problem is to exit from ehell.com, delete your cookies, delete your temporary internet files and if necessary, reboot.  Relog back in the forum clicking "Forever" and all should be fine. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:32:12 PM by Ehelldame »

Lunadiana75

Re: Staying logged in
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 06:53:04 AM »
I did all of that and it still constantly logs me out.  This problem only started the last couple days.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »
I'm not using Flamingvixen, I have cookies enabled in Internet Explorer and I get logged out too.  Prior to the board shift, I didn't have the problem with being logged out. 

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 03:09:34 PM »
I'm not using Flamingvixen, I have cookies enabled in Internet Explorer and I get logged out too.  Prior to the board shift, I didn't have the problem with being logged out. 

Ditto. I'm not using Flamingvixen or IE and my cookies are enabled, but I still get logged out. Why does it know who I am when I go to the home page of the forum, but when I click on unread messages it says "Welcome Guest"?

I don't have firewalls on my browser; the only thing I have is a feature that blocks pop-ups.

I never had this problem before the changeover either.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 03:28:46 PM »

Ditto. I'm not using Flamingvixen or IE and my cookies are enabled, but I still get logged out. Why does it know who I am when I go to the home page of the forum, but when I click on unread messages it says "Welcome Guest"?

I don't have firewalls on my browser; the only thing I have is a feature that blocks pop-ups.

I never had this problem before the changeover either.

I think we need to be patient as the move isn't entirely complete yet.  I'm sure there will be glitches that eventually will be worked out. 

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 03:33:40 PM »
First, there will be weirdness in the past several days because the databases were being moved, the servers configured, new software added, and the DNS name change getting propagated worldwide.   Some people get access before others but still means it is a construction zone.  If you are seeing a numreic IP address instead of www.etiquettehell.com, I would consider the server change to not be final yet. 

As for the logging in problem, have patience until this whole move is finally, completely done which should be by Tuesday at the latest.   I'm told the log in problem lies with each person's cookies and not the SMF forum software.  I could rename the cookie the forum sets for members but that is a very drastic action to take which will effect everyone.  I'd rather wait and see if the problems resolve themselves once the changeover is finished.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 04:10:01 PM »
I've been able to log in, but I notice that sometimes when I click the post button or another link in the forum to look at other threads, it takes a while to refresh.

I realize the forum is still under construction.  I'm just waiting for all the repairs to be complete.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Ehelldame

• Administrator
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 04:49:51 PM »
I've been able to log in, but I notice that sometimes when I click the post button or another link in the forum to look at other threads, it takes a while to refresh.

I realize the forum is still under construction.  I'm just waiting for all the repairs to be complete.

I've been informed the switch from the temporary server to the permanent server is happening tonight.  Even though they claim it will be "transparent", i.e. meaning most people won't be aware of it, it shouldn't surprise anyone if there were some glitch. 

Also, the logging in problem may be that some people are getting in under a numerical IP (http://72.232.159.21/smf)  AND the name (http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf), you need to choose one for the cookie the forum software uses to recognize you.   If anyone keeps coming in by the numeric address, the cookie the forum sets for you will not recognize you when the page changes to a www.etiquettehell.com

Also, I enabled cookies on sub domains so that should help some. 

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 09:22:46 PM »
More weirdness!

If I just visit the site normally, I get the "welcome guest, please log in" biz.  But if I decide to change the colour (I decided to look at the blue just out of curiosity) I get the "welcome kareng"!

I'm not saying that it's an incredible pain to have to log-in each time, but I thought this might give you a clue as to where the problem could be.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 01:34:07 AM »
I've been informed the switch from the temporary server to the permanent server is happening tonight.  Even though they claim it will be "transparent", i.e. meaning most people won't be aware of it, it shouldn't surprise anyone if there were some glitch. 

It's 7:32 a.m. CAT and it looks done. The numerical address is gone and even better - the logging out problem is gone as well! I didn't even have to do anything.

So just to let you know - back to normal and thanks for all the hand-holding on the weekend!

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »
My problem of logging out started this past weekend. I downloaded a couple of new programs, and suddenly I'm no longer logged in forever.  :'(

But it only happens the first time I log on during a given day (or if I reboot, I can't honestly remember). After my initial logon I don't have to do it again.

I've been getting some funky error messages lately, so I'm constantly scanning for viruses and spyware. I'll do a disc cleanup next and see if that alleviates the problem. I haven't changed any of my settings since the new board began, and I never had any trouble before. (I'm using IE7.)
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 01:10:08 AM »
I will also state here:

If you are on Internet Explorer 7, you are in uncharted territory. Unfortunately they made all sorts of updates that websites were not equipped to handle and developers are scrambling to change their systems that works on every other system to meet Internet Explorer 7.

Our office is cursing Bill Gates from one end to the other. Between this and Vista he better give away all his money for me to make peace with him.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »
I will also state here:

If you are on Internet Explorer 7, you are in uncharted territory. Unfortunately they made all sorts of updates that websites were not equipped to handle and developers are scrambling to change their systems that works on every other system to meet Internet Explorer 7.

Our office is cursing Bill Gates from one end to the other. Between this and Vista he better give away all his money for me to make peace with him.

My IE7 has calmed down tremendously and now rarely gives me trouble. I updated it a couple of times and the bugs seemed to have worked out of it.

But MS and Gates will never live Vista down. I only hope that the OS designers take the many complaints into consideration before the next OS is built.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

trishonthego

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 11:11:30 PM »
I'm having issues with my new phone screen name. I've never had them before... in fact I had the opposite problem, I didn't want to log in under trishlovesdolphins on my phone automatically, but it did. Now that I've been using the new screen name on my phone I can't stay logged in.

gellchom

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2014, 07:05:13 PM »
A week or two ago, suddenly I have to log in every time, but only on my iPhone, not iPad or PC notebook.  I didn't change settings or log out or upgrade or anything. 

Any advice?