Author Topic: Hosting during Lent  (Read 1366 times)

tabigarasu

Hosting during Lent
« on: March 16, 2007, 10:35:41 PM »
My fiance and I have made several new friends at our current church. There is one couple, in particular, who we see every month or so since last summer, eating dinner at either my apartment or theirs. It's our turn to host, and has been for several weeks now. I don't want to give offense to our new friends, but it is Lent, and my fast for Lent involves dietary restrictions (ie, no meat, eggs, or dairy).  Should I invite the other couple over for dinner, and only serve food that I would be able to eat? (I won't serve just bread and water, I promise! I would have appetizers, a main dish, soup, salad, and desert, just all within the restrictions I've placed upon myself for this season.) Or should I explain to them that since I wouldn't be able to serve meat, etc., I plan to invite them over after Easter?

For what it is worth, we belong to a denomination that encourages people to choose their own fast for Lent. One person I know is giving up caffeine, another is skipping all meals on Fridays, etc. etc.

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
Re: Hosting during Lent
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 11:59:30 PM »
I think I would check with your friends and make sure that you're not serving something they THEY have given up for Lent, and then enjoy the get together. Maybe do a great tofu or grilled portabello based stir fry with veggie spring rolls and a clear soup, and a nice salad with spicy ginger dressing.

Have a good time.
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

Gigi

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:31:28 AM »
Since Lent is a penetential season social events are often considered inappropriate during those six weeks. You might find that your friends would prefer to postpone the get-together until after Easter.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 07:37:09 AM »
my fast for Lent involves dietary restrictions (ie, no meat, eggs, or dairy).  Should I invite the other couple over for dinner, and only serve food that I would be able to eat?

I don't see anything wrong with serving meals without those things. I used to quite often. There are lots of nice vegan things that you can do and not make an issue of it. I do think you should have milk if you're offering tea or coffee though.